Dynamic Mics Pic up more than Condensers?

Abnormalweeny

Hey guys! Just received my AKG D-5 in the mail today! Its good except it picks up more ambient computer fan noise than my Blue snowball did.I thought dynamic mics pick up less ambient noise than condensers do?WTF Should i get a Sm 58 instead?

Last edited:
:facepalm: because sometimes spelling makes all the difference.

the only reason i can think of that may make the D5 pick up more ambient sound is that the polar patter on the snowball may be tighter. looking at the specs for both (Snowball specs and D5 specs) the area directly behind the D5 seems to pick up more and seems slightly lop sided (or the AKG one may just be more accurate than the snowball).

it may be worth just trying the D5 on a stand further back from the computer and see how that goes

:facepalm: because sometimes spelling makes all the difference.

the only reason i can think of that may make the D5 pick up more ambient sound is that the polar patter on the snowball may be tighter. looking at the specs for both (Snowball specs and D5 specs) the area directly behind the D5 seems to pick up more and seems slightly lop sided (or the AKG one may just be more accurate than the snowball).

it may be worth just trying the D5 on a stand further back from the computer and see how that goes
Would the sm 58 pick up less ambient noise compared to the d-5?

Would the sm 58 pick up less ambient noise compared to the d-5?

um.... honestly, i don't know. on paper, maybe. I'd say experiment with the D5 in different places in the room first. if the computer fan noise is still a huge issue then try the SM58. i'd say try and find someone who you can borrow one off first just to check it before buying

um.... honestly, i don't know. on paper, maybe. I'd say experiment with the D5 in different places in the room first. if the computer fan noise is still a huge issue then try the SM58. i'd say try and find someone who you can borrow one off first just to check it before buying

id agree but the only problem is im doing gaming commentaries so i have to be right in front

there probably going to be an argument after this but here goes
If you have to have the mic so close to the computer then try an isolation filter to eliminate some of the ambiant noise. It just might suit your needs.
Not the best solution imo.

do you mean something like the sE reflection filter or some kind of smaller desktop isolation thing....

or some kind of DIY iso box?

there probably going to be an argument after this but here goes
if you have to have the mic so close to the computer then try an isolation filter to eliminate some of the ambiant noise. It just might suit your needs.
Not the best solution imo.

heresy! Off with his head, this man speaks lies!

How are you aiming the D5? It should be less sensitive than your condenser but it's an end-fire mic, not side-fire like most big condensers. You need to get the end with the cable coming out pointing at your computer.

The SM58 is slightly less sensitive than the D5 and perhaps slightly more directional--but there's not a lot in it.

Before spending even more money, move the mic a bit farther from the noise source and be careful with the aiming--that'll probably make more difference than changing to an SM58.

My mic

The SM58 is slightly less sensitive than the D5 and perhaps slightly more directional--but there's not a lot in it.

Before spending even more money, move the mic a bit farther from the noise source and be careful with the aiming--that'll probably make more difference than changing to an SM58.

Heres the pic of my setup

corn.jpg

With the mic aimed like that, the computer is partly within the pickup pattern. If you can lower the stand so the connector is pointing straight at the computer (and the mic straight at your mouth) it will help at least a bit.

I'd also be worried that the glass desk may be adding to the noise with physical vibrations. I'd consider a floor stand with boom arm to decouple the mic from the desk.

Beyond that, if you can get the computer twice as far away (either by moving the computer or your mic) that will quarter the amount of sound from it that gets to the mic.

Some sound absorbing material (soft stuff on the wall, carpet on the desk) would also be advantageous--nothing but hard, reflective surfaces in your pic.

Hope some of this helps.

Yeah. That too. I used to be a great fan of KVM extenders and computers move farther away.

But some soft surfaces would be good even if the computer gets quiet. I've never seen a radio studio or voice over booth that didn't have a padded desk and some acoustic treatment on the wall behind the mic.

Back