dust in the wind

As usual, impeccable playing and quality sound. Everything I've heard you do is extremely tasty. Me likes. I particularly liked the switch to the electric in the bridge - and the playing of the violin part on the git.

Only complaint (and you probably don't want to hear this at this point) is that I thought the whole thing was played too fast. Sounded a bit rushed and that took away from the feel IMHO.

I love Kansas's Dust in the wind! Killer pick dude. I'm really diggin your acoustic sound. What mic did you use? The lead guit is too loud for my taste. Almost drowns out the rhythm at times. I love the switch in the electric effects at around 2:00. I just think the leads are a lil too loud, but you mentioned the mixing. Also, I like the speed of it. Actually my first time through, I thought the rhythme was slower than the original. hehe.. great work tho man. I like it.

Dude,.. I love that song.... and this was definitely not a disappointment... great cover. You did the original justice. And great acoustic guitar sound too...... man I hate you. :p

I will say that the elec (when it first came in) sounded a little "thin". Once that second elec came in it wasn't so bad... but right off the bat, it kinda brought the song "down" sonically. That's my only nit-pick. But seriously... that acoustic sounds freaking great... and I dig the little licks you add in there throughout the song.

WATYF

Hey Jeffy,
.......Thats an ambitious choice for a cover man:) You pulled it off very nicely though. Very nice guitar work, as usual. I would have preferred keyboard strings instead of the guits from 1:35 to 1:50 ....right before that COOL solo section.

Great playing man....... one thing about your threads.....always full of inspirational guitar work.
gw/5

big fan of your work man, great playing...great sound.

if i remember correctly you use maybe, MC012's through your Mackie board or something?

could be way off, sounds great.

thanks for the replys everyone! :)

dachay2tnr...

Thanks a bunch! I tried to keep the bpm within a couple beats... but maybe it was little faster :) oh well... I didnt play using a metronome or click track, so my tempo might have been a little wavey. thanks for checking this out!

soundprizm

hey there!... im using a matched pair of mc012 mics and those are running into a rnp preamp. I agree on the nasty sounding lead when it first comes in... that is the gibson amp and im not sure im micing it right yet :) Im doing a second take at it right now... the second guitar sound is the marshall with the bridge pickup on my guitar(i tried to get a violin sound with the mids up)... there are strings in the background behind the lead adding a little effect. thanks for listening to this one :)

WATYF

thaanks man! yes.. you know what they say about trying to mix something after recording :) the first guitar does sound thin and dull like it went through a lawmower.. but I'll fix it... if it wasnt for you guys who knows what my mixes would sound like :) talk to you later watyf

Guernica

:) yeah know i was thinking about just doing strings.. but some of people liked the guitar sound... obviouslyu not the tone that i have in there now :) first guitar does sound gross... what was i thinking :) oh well.. i'll get back to fixing this thing up... btw.. your song you have up is really great.. i like it! talk to you later g

wes

hi wes... yeah im still using my mackie, but I did pick up a new toy called an rnp :) I noticed it sounds a little bit better on the high end, but not a huge difference... most of the sound is coming from my "doubled up" fingerpicking guitar... really fills in the sound. you were right on the money with the mco12's though... great memory! :) taker care!

here are those mics:

Last edited:
sounds great.........i'd love to hear it with some vocals............those mics sound great.....about how much does a pair go for?

Very cool.

Used to be one of my favorite songs to play and sing. Haven't done either for quite a few years. This is the one I would pull out of my hat at parties after I'd revvvvved them up with some up tempo songs an the chicks would start throwing their panties at me...

(let an old guy dream at least ;)) :D (the preceding paragraph is only 75% factual) :D

Nice work...

An instrumental? Didn't you pull this on me before?

Gosh, great instrumentality and recording. Really faithfully covered, and played with lots of feeling, but IMO the drama of this song is in the vocals. Open up & sing!;)

Someday I'll post something half as good and be very pleased!
I hope your cd is selling well? You definitely deserve to make the $ for your supreme artistry.
Thanks for sharing

Peace
Bill

nice sounds and playing!

I think you already know about the tone of that electric, but other than that, this was totally cool..

Very well done, nice sound.

Let me know if you want a real violin in there, it would take me 10 seconds...

Real nice, warm recording. Very well played. You threw in a bunch of "extra doodads" as the song progressed. This was nice because as the song progressed, I kept listening to "see what he's going to do this time."

Well done.

just got home from work! working with drywall today... sooo much fun :) !!
you know how it goes sluicey!

Yeah David... i'll take the guitars out and send the song to ya... im getting on it right now!

I'll respond to everybody when Im finished..

thanks everyone! :)

Back