Dumb and dumber!

SoundCard

I have a rare (but not in a good way) receiver. It has two sets of speaker outputs, each showing 4 contacts as: (1) red RIGHT, the (2) black COM, then (1) red LEFT.....for speaker pair ONE.
I want to play a mono signal from the receiver through a single speaker. (Of course, I want to retain the music contained in both the Left and Right channels.) This receiver has a mono switch on the front. The speaker connections on the back are the ones you push the wires into the hole and release the button to capture. (This is purely for spoken voice, which is why MONO.)
What do I put between the receiver and my single speaker. Do I use one photo plug? Into left or right on the receiver? Then use the other end with two bare wires to connect to the speaker? Do I need a 'Y' phono plug (two into one)? Is using the MONO switch on the front changing the desired impedance?
It says to stay above 8 ohms. I haven't bought the speaker (exciter) yet, so I can decide on the ohms when I know more.

Not sure I understand why you want a mono output if your signal in is already mono. If you want a mono signal, then send a mono input source. It don't matter if the same signal goes to both speakers. That does not change the signal.

Maybe elaborate more of what you are trying to do. Seems the mono switch will do the trick. If you for some reason only want one speaker to work, then unplug one. Either way, the same mono signal will play from each speaker. Just because a mono source is playing from two speakers does not make it stereo.

Make and model # of the reciever would be very useful but I am pretty sure the speaker switching is a red herring in this context. Many integrated amplifiers of bygone era used switching* to enable local and remote (bedroom, kitchen) speakers to be used.

As Jimmys says, if you have a mono source it can go into one input and be reproduced through one speaker but this is not however how it is done in the vast majority of cases. People usually have a stereo setup and with a mono signal (either a mono source or two signals "mono'ed" by the amplifier) it is reproduced as "double mono phantom centre signal". This is fine in 99% of cases but the absolute quality depends upon the degree of matching of the speakers. WTGT it does not sound as though your system is of a quality level where this will matter. Professional monitoring systems usually have the facility to switch to one speaker, mono operation.

*Not done much these days as there are better ways to arrange a remote feed and the switching can introduce non-linear resistance and lead to distortion. The same applies to headphone jacks that switched the speaker signal. You won't find those on high power, high end amplifiers these days.

Dave.

Receiver: Audio Reflex AR-800.

So sorry. That line: "(This is purely for spoken voice, which is why MONO.)" was supposed to have been erased. I want to play standard stereo out of the receiver and into a single speaker, keeping both channels of music.

Of course, ....I see it now. Just attach the speaker to the LEFT channel and throw the MONO switch on the receiver. I assume the lack of speaker for the RIGHT channel won't affect the amp in the receiver.

Receiver: Audio Reflex AR-800.

So sorry. That line: "(This is purely for spoken voice, which is why MONO.)" was supposed to have been erased. I want to play standard stereo out of the receiver and into a single speaker, keeping both channels of music.

Of course, ....I see it now. Just attach the speaker to the LEFT channel and throw the MONO switch on the receiver. I assume the lack of speaker for the RIGHT channel won't affect the amp in the receiver.

Thanks. Hahha! Not helped a lot, VERY little info on that reciever except that many people have commented HOW hard it is to find info!

It does however look to be a well built, good design of its era and should deliver very good sound quality. Note it seems to be capable of some 80 watts per channel so bear that in mind when chosing a speaker. A decent quality speaker rated at "50W programme, 100W max or peak" should be quite safe.

No, the amplifer will not mind running without a speaker on one channel (don't do that with valves!) but I have to ask. Is it just money that stops you buying a pair of speakers? If so and your idea is to buy one, get another 3 months or so later, is a bit fraught. For good stereo speakers should be closly matched. Budget speakers will not be THAT well matched but buying a pair from the same prod' batch on the same day gives you a better chance than having a 90 day+ gap. Then, you COULD find the speaker is out of stock/discontinued in Janurary '19!

Dave.

I have one exciter speaker built (more like doctored) and am absolutely thrilled with the definition, clarity, and smoothness of the sound. Sure, it needs a sub, but I have heard things in my age old music that I hadn't before. The size of the soundboard allows different frequencies to be handled easily by different areas, without interfering with each other. Jazz bass, cello and horn/sax are wonderfully present. I have it hooked up to one channel and would like both channels to feed it. Yes, I will make another soon to get proper stereo.

Had not heard of those exciter speakers (and the video won't run fo me in Firefox!) but I don't know how they would compare to "proper" monitors for accuracy? Still, if you are happy with the sound, all that counts!

I noted the 40W power rating on the 8 Ohm model that I suspect you have. I doubt it is in much danger but do remember the amplfier seems capable of twice that power?

You mentioned a sub woofer? These can be dificult to get right, especially in smaller rooms and unless part of an integrated system, i.e. a system all from the same speaker manufacturer. You would also need another amplifier to drive a sub.

But! I complement you on your use of "legacy" gear and the DIY approach to sound repro. Not enough "dabblers" around these days.

Dave.

Back