Dual 2gig G5

c9-2001

i've been thinking about switching platforms and getting a dual G5.. only problem right now is what os should i run? osx or panther...???
do apps like Nuendo 2 work under both? i know it works under osx but i'm not sure about panther

i've been having a few problems just about every year with pc's and i'm getting sick of it. i was gonna stick with my new amd64 barebone system. but i may sell it and just get the G5
i really don't wanna learn new apps but i may have too

I wish I could afford one.
Its the optimum machine for recording...especially with Logic 6
True 64 bit proccessing

i can't really afford one my damn self.. its about $3000. i was gonna put in 2000 and 2 of my artist would put the other money in and not have to worry about studio time.
right now i have a xp2500 clocked to xp3000. i have power, not as much as i want but its powerful...

i wanna keep tracking at 24/96 or 88.6. i know i can with the G5.
but it seems like every year i have to buy a new motherboard... every year for the last 3 years.
right now i'm using a abit nf7 and its been working fine but as of last week my system started having some problems. so i rebuilt it and went back to xp.. still had problem.. so i went to 2003.. didn't have as many problems, but had problems... so tonight i'm do some test and find out if the problem is the MB or my C: harddrive.

Have you considered any of the dual G4's. It looks like there are some decent prices on these machines and they are relatively powerful. In addition, they have a proven track record--unlike the new G5.

I almost kicked my G5 today.....got it up and running for a while with nuendo/motu....when trying to record some 2 tracks masters today in the studio it recorded with crackles....fuck fuck fuck....

client looked at me...so that's the big expensive g5...wow...untill i realised i had put in a second video card last week...

removed it...Yep....superclean audio...

fuck ati

I almost kicked my G5 today.....got it up and running for a while with nuendo/motu....when trying to record some 2 tracks masters today in the studio it recorded with crackles....fuck fuck fuck....

client looked at me...so that's the big expensive g5...wow...untill i realised i had put in a second video card last week...

fuck ati

Downside Studio said:

fuck ati

Did you bother investigating whether your second card was compatible with the new PCI-X bus?

Yes, and it seemed that I was the first costumer in this country to add a extra videocard...nobody seemed to know if it would work. Ati said it did, and one dealer was 100% sure...

I'm just not sure if i had them on the separate pci busses....I believe i did, but have to check that

Stealthtech said:
True 64 bit proccessing
Only if "True 64 bit processing" means a 32-bit OS running on a 64-bit processor. I'd tend to think that a true 64-bit processing experience would be a 64-bit OS running on a 64-bit processor, but your mileage may vary.

c9-2001 said:
i can't really afford one my damn self.. its about $3000. i was gonna put in 2000 and 2 of my artist would put the other money in and not have to worry about studio time.
right now i have a xp2500 clocked to xp3000. i have power, not as much as i want but its powerful...

but it seems like every year i have to buy a new motherboard... every year for the last 3 years.
right now i'm using a abit nf7 and its been working fine but as of last week my system started having some problems. so i rebuilt it and went back to xp.. still had problem.. so i went to 2003.. didn't have as many problems, but had problems... so tonight i'm do some test and find out if the problem is the MB or my C: harddrive.

If you're already running XP, why don't you get an AMD FX51 set up? The FX51 kicked the crap out of a dual G5 in a Maximum PC test a couple months ago, and it surely is way cheaper.

Polaris20 said:
If you're already running XP, why don't you get an AMD FX51 set up? The FX51 kicked the crap out of a dual G5 in a Maximum PC test a couple months ago, and it surely is way cheaper.
i've already tested my pops amd64-3200 vs a dual 2gig G5... as much as i hate to say it.. the G5 had a lot more horsepower.. both systems were using Nuendo 2.1 same amout of plugins bla bla bla.. basically.. both systems were strong as sh!t.. but the G5 is stronger if you wanna track 24/96(32float with nuendo) and run a lot of plugins with out having to bounce anything.

the amd64 performs a little better under win2003 vs the 64bit version of 2000 i have.
after doing some looking i'ma got ahead and get a P4E 3.2gig machine.. i'm getting everything for only $530.
3.2gig P4 Prescott 800fsb, 1mb cache
Asus MB
512mb DDR400
80gig sata drive
dvd-rw
radeon(sp) 9600 video card
nice case, etc..
its a nice system.. and for only $530.. i said why not.. so i'ma hold off on a few tattoo's this weekend and get the new daw

the 64bit version of 2000 i have.
Huh?...the only 64-bit version of Win2k I know of runs on IA-64.

If performance at any cost is your concern, dual Opterons are where it's at....or quad Opterons.

c9-2001 said:

right now i'm using a abit nf7 and its been working fine but as of last week my system started having some problems. so i rebuilt it and went back to xp.. still had problem.. so i went to 2003.. didn't have as many problems, but had problems...

How about cutting back on overclocking? That would be one of the first things I'd look at.

christiaan said:
How about cutting back on overclocking? That would be one of the first things I'd look at.

Ditto. the 2500 can do it fine, but you have to be sure it's cooling reasonably well and you're bumping the voltage a bit. Once I set my cpu voltage to 1.7v my machine never crashes and I'v sat here and worked with some fairly elaborite stuff for hours on end with no probs... even if the machine has been on for a few days I can still spend 6 hours messing with acid without problems. I might have 30+ tracks with 1-3 plugins on each one so I figure I'm giving the thing a pretty intense workout......

christiaan said:
why.. i have the system clocked perfectly.. it runs cool and its powerful.. just not powerful enough to track/mix at 88.6 or 96. i've been doing all my stuff at 48k

DAFFYDRUNK said:
Ditto. the 2500 can do it fine, but you have to be sure it's cooling reasonably well and you're bumping the voltage a bit. Once I set my cpu voltage to 1.7v my machine never crashes and I'v sat here and worked with some fairly elaborite stuff for hours on end with no probs... even if the machine has been on for a few days I can still spend 6 hours messing with acid without problems. I might have 30+ tracks with 1-3 plugins on each one so I figure I'm giving the thing a pretty intense workout......
my cpu has never seen 50degrees. its cooled very well.. water cooled and i have 2 nice case fans. the cpu after a heavy load was at 45degrees.. thats nothing seeing that back in the day my old xp2000 would be around 60 at all times.

as for voltage.. i never change cpu voltage.. just the front side clock.. set it to 200...xp2500 runs at 2.2gig which is a xp3000.

my system might get terned off once or twice a week.. i usually put it in standby mode or just leave it on allday.
track count wise.. the xp2500 is a workhorse, but it performs better overclocked.. i track everything 32/48(32bit float)
everything done under nuendo 2.1

i usually run 32+ tracks.
i usually run 2-3 different reverbs, sometimes more
1-2 Group tracks
almost all vox have a Waves Rvox. some with eq some with out. then when i get to the mix i'll have the xp2500 at 80-90% at times... i'm getting ready to get the 3.2gig P4 and then i'll get me a Dual cpu system.

as for the Quad..no app will take use of the power so it makes no since to build it

c9-2001 said:

as for the Quad..no app will take use of the power so it makes no since to build it

I hope you're getting the Extreme Edition, because otherwise the A64 3400+ would kick the crap out of the regular P4 3.2Ghz.

Polaris20 said:
I hope you're getting the Extreme Edition, because otherwise the A64 3400+ would kick the crap out of the regular P4 3.2Ghz.
yep its a prescott..
3.2gig 800front side bus 1mb cache

Back