Drum VST for electronic sounds with edrums

antacid

So my drummer friend picked up a used Alesis DM10x and I was at his place checking it out. When he plays using the electronic sounding kits, the wildest stuff comes out. I want to use it in my next project, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to get him recording the stuff.

I know I could just have him record what he plays using the on-board record function, and then spit it out to my DAW. But problems like 16 bit audio, the inability to record each piece of the kit to its own track, inability to edit anything, etc. make that not such a great approach.

Of course I could spit out the midi to my DAW, then edit it, then separate it into multiple tracks, then run each of the separated midi tracks back to the Alesis and send the audio back around into my DAW, one track at a time... but come on.

What I'm going to do is set him up with a laptop with a drum VST, in a way that will let him do exactly what he does now... choose a funky electronic sounding kit and start playing (after hitting record, obviously). But instead of using the on-board kits of the Alesis, he would be using the kits in the VST.

What I need out of the VST:

- A large selection of electronic kits (the Alesis has about 100 kits, many of which are electronic... I'd like something comparable so it doesn't stifle his creativity)

- The ability for me to map his Alesis to the VST and have it work reliably, just like when he uses the on-board kits... so he doesn't have to do any mapping when he chooses a new kit. The kits and mapping need to just work.

- The Alesis has 10 total pieces, so a VST where the kits will work nicely with a 10 piece electronic drum set would be much preferred

Your suggestions please!

Do you have Logic?
It comes with quite a lot of electronic music stuff, probably a few hundred different drum pre-sets.

Do you have Logic?
It comes with quite a lot of electronic music stuff, probably a few hundred different drum pre-sets.

That seems like an interesting solution, and I imagine that their drum kits would probably all play nicely with one mapping. But my recording setup is Windows... and even though I could use a Mac laptop for my friend to record drums onto, then there is the issue of the drums being in a separate DAW from the one I use to make music. So I'm thinking this will not work.

Edit: Plus that would end up costing a lot more than a cheap Windows laptop and a drum VST.

Toontrack recently released their hip hop EZX for EZDrummer. Looks like it has a ton of acoustic and classic electronic kits. I've been tempted to give it a try myself.

Back