Drum shell chop and recording

Hmmm, Seems like he's just ruining drum shells to me.

Is he going to re-do the bearing edges and re-drill for the hardware or are they going to be single head drums now?

My prediction is its going to sound like ass and was a waste of time, but hey their not my drums so I guess, have fun!

I have to agree. It really seems like you're gonna end up with all thwack and no boom.

The reso heads are a very important part of the sound, much like the panelling of an acoustic guitar is vital to the sound of that instrument.

Is there a reason he's doing this? A particular goal? Has he seen it done elsewhere?

I'm intrigued.....

Yup bearing edges with the reso heads. I always hated that era where the one drum head thing was popular.

But we will see tomorrow when I throw a few mics on it.

Well at least it was done correctly, but without new heads its like putting old crappy tires on a brand new sports car!

I could hear the punchiness for sure..Was there processing done on your audio? Didnt sound raw to me?

Nice job!

The only processing is compression and little reverb on the snare and only a little eq on the toms.
I agree about the heads, just wanted to see if this would be a fail before putting new heads on :)

The actual enjoyment is in the drum beat. Most of the people enjoy the drum shell chop instead of guitar or other musical instruments.

I thought the recorded sound can out rather decent - and without a doubt you significantly reduced the mass of drums to be transported - however, if that is the cymbal set-up you gig with, it still looks ylike you have a lot of hardware to haul.

How are you getting around in NYC - are you using cabs?

Back