Drum replacement ....its stupid!

Hmm, I am far from an expert but I disagree. The kick and snare may have a little help but during the break down I can hear sympathetic ring from the toms and the tom fills sound like real toms that were played by a drummer and not gridded up...or whatever its called.

Listen again with head phones and please tell me I could be right...please!!

Last edited:
I just listened to a few of the songs, Figure it Out is pretty obviously samples. Some of the other tunes were harder to tell, especially since they did some percussion overdubbing.

I was replying to this ....sorry!!

I was replying to this ....sorry!!

This interview is interesting (they said there are no overdubs except percussion, "it's the same as live"), but also said they had trouble getting a full enough sound for the album. Seems to indicate that they didnt use samples, certainly the wikipedia page for the album has gone on and used this as a source for that conclusion (not sure it's specific enough to rule out samples personally). I guess the issue would be compunded if most bands they had to 'compete' with in the charts are using sample replacement for drums and lots of guitar overdubs (which they are).

I guess the caveat is wether they trigger samples from the kit live.

Royal Blood on debut album: "it nearly killed us" | music news | triple j

This interview is interesting (they said there are no overdubs except percussion, "it's the same as live"), but also said they had trouble getting a full enough sound for the album. Seems to indicate that they didnt use samples, certainly the wikipedia page for the album has gone on and used this as a source for that conclusion (not sure it's specific enough to rule out samples personally). I guess the issue would be compunded if most bands they had to 'compete' with in the charts are using sample replacement for drums and lots of guitar overdubs (which they are).

I guess the caveat is wether they trigger samples from the kit live.

Royal Blood on debut album: "it nearly killed us" | music news | triple j

I read that article and a few others about the band, the producer , and the studio and have concluded that the drums on the album are 100% real .

Good mics, good pre's , good room , good performance.

Back in the days before Internet, we relied on radio, American Banstand(remember that?), and Soul Train to get great music to us. It was up to the music industry to sift out the good from the bad. Most of us bought albums based on one good/great song played on the radio and discovered a great album. I know if I hear a song on the radio today, the album from that artists album is gonna sound all the same.

I read that article and a few others about the band, the producer , and the studio and have concluded that the drums on the album are 100% real .

I'm still not 100% sure, but I think it looks pretty likely. Given that I'v read about the band and producer struggling to get that sound I would conclude that people are using drum triggering as a shortcut.
Given how electronic/dance music (with it's sampled/synthesised drums) dominates the pop charts here in the UK, perhaps bands are trying to emulate that? Idk but electronic music seems to lose less detail to radio processing for FM than rock, could have something to do with it.

Last edited:
Back