Drum Mixing help please?

RJrules64

Hi, I just did my first ever Drum mix.

I feel like it turned out alright, but I know it’s only a start, I really want to get better! So if anyone can offer any tips, or advice or even tell me I’m doing EVERYTHING wrong, go for it!

I listen to rock and alternative, so I was going for a punchy and full kick drum and full sounds all round.

One point I really want to improve on-
I mixed with AKG K240 headphones, and to me, it sounds alright with these. However when I plug in other headphones it doesn’t sound anywhere near as good. How can I get my mix to sound similar on all devices? I know that’s impossible, but the songs on my ipod sound at least similar on different headphones and speakers, how do the engineers achieve that?

The hardware I recorded with-

PDP drum kit
Shure SM57’s on Top snare and toms
Shure 52a on kick
Samson CS-2 under the snare
2x MXL 606 Overheads.
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Interface

Software- ProTools 10 HD

There are 2 things to note-

The drummer knocked the SM57 on the snare about 2/3 of the way through the track, and it ended up pointing at the rim of the snare which isn’t the sound I was going for, so I automated the eq at that point to hide the problem, which is why there is so much EQ on that track.

Another point is that I only have 1 boom stand, so one of the overheads was actually sitting on a table pointing at the hats and crash and drummer, so that’s why I had to pan the overheads strangely, to account for the lack of kick and snare in one of the overheads. I plan to buy another boom stand soon.

In the folder, “Test Scarlett” or something along those lines is the UNMIXED project so you can compare it to the MIXED project, “Mixed Drums”

So yeah, I’m keen to improve and am only looking for feedback and criticism! ☺

Thanks!

Back