Drum lineage - what are these?

teainthesahara

Im collecting inexpensive kit pieces here and there to record my demo's with. Im not a drummer, so im not really educated with the history of some of these drums/cymbals. I know what my ears tell me about this equipment, and now im interested in the history/lineage of this stuff. Any one know? (I shouldn't of drank coffee today...sorry about the shaky photos :D . The kick badge say's yamaha).

Attachments

• hi hat.jpg
    hi hat.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 70
  • hi hat with ludwig stand.jpg
    hi hat with ludwig stand.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 65
  • snare 1.jpg
    snare 1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 70
  • snare side.jpg
    snare side.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 59
  • kick.jpg
    kick.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Dude

I think your a little close on the pics. :)
I can't tell the condition.
Try drinking a light Tea next time :D

first off, that hi hat stand is a museum piece! it looks great (prob late 50's)! to me the hi hats look mid 70's but thats just a guess.

the snare is an early to mid 60's made in japan beast. looks like its only a six lugger from the pick, which is not great for a snare.... the throw looks like its in good nick which is rare for a forty year old snare, and judging by the shape of it and the casings, i'm going to guess that it came out of the tama/ibanez factory. personally i think that is where the better vintage jap stuff came from.... it should be mahogany (luann)((sP)), it is most likely a very mellow sounding snare, and was probably origionaly sold as a "beginner" type unit, sorry to dissapoint. That wrap is solid GOLD!!! i wish they still made drums with wrap like that..

I used to have those Hi-Hats...there roughly 70's hats. They sound great, very heavy, but not like a bell. I've seen collectors actually looking for hats like that...so good find. They also recorded VERY well.

Awesome guys; thanks. Thats the exact type of info I was after. You were also correct on your sound descriptions - the high hat has a very heavy, smooth sound, and the snare is mellow, but definitely "LOFI". I like it for what i do. Any insight on the kick?

T

I'd say the hats are late 70's, early 80's. Probably something similar to the New Beats or Quick Beats. The snare is a Jap from the Tama factory, probably same vintage. It looks like what they called a Tiger Eye finish that was popular on late 60's Slingerland drums. The kick is a newer model from Yamaha, less than 10 years old. But I can't remember the specific series.

The hats probably have the most value. The stand might be worth something to the right collector. The snare has very little value, as does the kick. But who cares? As long as they work for you.

Back