Dropped a Boxing Trophy on 12 string

Cwadroon

A trophy dropped on my 12 string acoustic/electric, so their is a big old hole in it besides the one that's supposed to be there. This guitar was $1500, and I want to get it restored. I have shown it to a few people, but noone seems to know how to fix it, it's starting to crack all the way around HELP.

Find a good luthier...

and say a prayer...
Your gonna need it.
I am sorry to hear that this happened...
It sucks big time but, there are always other guitars out there...
You might have to cut your loses....maybe not...
Go get some professional help though...
That is too much money to let it die....ya know?
Sorry man,
Joe:(

luthier: guitar-builder/craftsman..yer local music store might know of where one can be found in your area......a really good one can work wonders on damaged stuff.....gibs

I've had nightmares about bad things happening to good guitars.

Once, one of my nightmares became reality.

An expensive guitar is worth fixing. Get ye to a luthier.(Don't let him gouge you, though)

Shop around.

Yeah, what Griffinator said.....it won't be cheap, but it won't be $1500.....I know of a guy that had a git that looked almost like shredded wheat on the back, but the luthier had it back playing and looking great after a while, maybe like 10 or 12 days.....of course the time depends on the damage.....and so will the cost.....

It was years ago that I saw the guitar....and I think it got fixed for about a hundred bucks, but that was like in the '80s.......I'd figure 200 minimum these days at least....gibs

I'm no luthiere but I sure would imagine you are looking at getting a whole new
sound board or topside replaced (I am assuming that is where the new addition to the whole famly is.

This should not be too compicated of a procedure for a good luthiere...especially one who builds acoustics from scratch. I don't see how they could repair the existing sound board and have it resonate right.

If Don Teeter's name comes up that luthiere search above I have heard excellent things about him. He lives in Oklahoma City (not a guitar Mecca) but he gets vinatage repair work in his shop literally from all over the world and I hear he is reasonable in price...the cost of living (read overhead) is fairly low here in OKC compared to the national average.

Whoa, Nellie.

That's gotta be one hell of a big hole to warrant a top replacement. If it's a trophy ding - hole about a half inch?? -then you can get this fixed with a patch. The luthier will cut out a square around the hole, perhaps with an angled edge, and the edges parallel to the grain will be on annular lines (darker; mask glue lines better). Then there will be the search for a matching patch from the box of spruce scraps that have been accumulating for thirty years. The patch is fitted with razor - fine exactness, and a finish is applied and blended in. Reinforcement on the underside keeps the thing minding its manners. A bit like a good fender job, actually.

the hole is pretty small, but the whole side body is cracked. There is a volume and tone knob on the upper part of the side that is cracked, I'm talkin one big crack, along the contours of the body, I'd estimate that it's about 26 inches stretching from about 3 inches from the neck frame(starting at where the knobs are) stretching around that whole side all the way to where the strap knob is on the bottom of the guitar.

In that case I don't believe the sides of the guitar are as critical in the resonanse of the guitar if repaired. There seems to be a debate in the acoustic world deciding if the soundboard must be 1 piece or laminate in design.

I know the type of would used on the sides is a factor in tone but it does not seem to me that they vibrate as much as the front and back and threrefore it could be patched and repaired rather than replaced outright but it wont be easy to hide the repair...geting the grain to appear to blend.

If the crack is spreading though...the sides may need to be replaced. For a $1500 guitar I would get some input or recomendations from the manucaturer on repairs. They may have authorized repair techs who can get an exact precut replacement for the sides at much less cost than fabricating them to match your guitar.

Larrivee guitars are made in Vancouver, I'd have them do the work.

You can ship it fairly easily, and probably for less than $100.

In the meantime, I would loosen the strings and contact them at:

Jean Larrivee Guitars Ltd.
780 E. Cordova St.
Vancouver, BC
Canada
V6A 1M3

Phone 604-253-7111 Fax: 604-253-5447
Email: info@larrivee.com

Good luck.

foo

Back