drop ceiling question

ikon

so if i were to buy a few cases of drop celing tile and glue one to another to make it thicker, could this be used to serve same perpose as some rigid fiberglass?

reason im asking is because while searching for a more local place t get some rigid...i did alot of searches on acoustical board and stuff of that nature and came across a few places explaining how one of the main purposes of drop ceilings are used for acoustic treatment of a room.........wich is also why i figured the thicker the better so why not glue them together <didnt mean to break out the cat n the hat stuff there lol

so if i were to buy a few cases of drop celing tile and glue one to another to make it thicker, could this be used to serve same perpose as some rigid fiberglass?

reason im asking is because while searching for a more local place t get some rigid...i did alot of searches on acoustical board and stuff of that nature and came across a few places explaining how one of the main purposes of drop ceilings are used for acoustic treatment of a room.........wich is also why i figured the thicker the better so why not glue them together <didnt mean to break out the cat n the hat stuff there lol

It'll be less reflective than a sheetrock wall, that's for sure. Acoustical tile can be helpful in attenuating reflections in the vocal band (1Khz-6Khz), but it won't do a thing below that. Chances are, your biggest problems are going to be below 200Hz...the best material for that is mineral wool or rigid fiberglass like OC703.

Frank

Most ceiling tiles are too reflective at mid and high frequencies to be useful in a studio. Especially at reflection points for monitoring, or above overheads such as over a drum set. Of course, there are many types of ceiling tiles. Some of the more expensive ones are not too bad at higher frequencies. But anything with a plastic face is reflective, and the typical cheap stamped cardboard pulp type are almost as reflective.

The best cheap way to treat a drop ceiling is to get those 5/8-inch Armstrong tiles they sell at Home Depot. Then peel off the plastic facing and spray-glue felt or other soft fabric to the side that shows. Then lay 6 to 12 inches thick fluffy fiberglass on top of that.

--Ethan

Most ceiling tiles are too reflective at mid and high frequencies to be useful in a studio. Especially at reflection points for monitoring, or above overheads such as over a drum set. Of course, there are many types of ceiling tiles. Some of the more expensive ones are not too bad at higher frequencies. But anything with a plastic face is reflective, and the typical cheap stamped cardboard pulp type are almost as reflective.

The best cheap way to treat a drop ceiling is to get those 5/8-inch Armstrong tiles they sell at Home Depot. Then peel off the plastic facing and spray-glue felt or other soft fabric to the side that shows. Then lay 6 to 12 inches thick fluffy fiberglass on top of that.

--Ethan
would you lay it on, and then smoosh it down so that you aren't losing the height of the room?
or just leave it fluffy?

Lay what on? Please clarify your ceiling situation. My post addressed drop ceilings with a metal grid.

--Ethan

would you lay it on, and then smoosh it down so that you aren't losing the height of the room?
or just leave it fluffy?
He is talking about above the ceiling. Lay the fluffy stuff above the tiles, not under them inside the room.

If the "fluffy stuff" is ABOVE and on top of the drop cieling, how would it reduce the ceiling height?:rolleyes::confused: Think about it. sheez
fitZ

i read it as, lay the fiberglass on top of the felt...
not on the top, up inside of the drop ceiling..

thanks though.

or just leave it fluffy?

i read it as, lay the fiberglass on top of the felt...
not on the top, up inside of the drop ceiling..
Oh.
:confused:Hmmmm, but how would one suspend fluffy fiberglass under a grid? And then "smooch" it DOWN....er.......up? Nonetheless, I think you get it now. The felt goes on the room side of the tiles, the fluffy stuff goes on TOP of the tiles, in the airgap.:)

Back