DR5 and the newest Doctor Rythum section

kevin45

I'm in the maket for a docter Rythum Section. Dose anyone know what the new features are between the latest Docter Rythun Section and the DR5?

The DR5 comes equipped with a built in sequencer with 4 tracks.
It also has a fret-board style interface,chord macro function allowing one to choose a specific chord by inputting the root note
& chord type and an external pitch function.
The unit also has the basic step & real time recording and as an added feature, a built-in amp simulator.
I checked the unit out a few days ago and it perf'd decently.
The drawbacks to this unit is a small memory allowing only 20 songs recorded and held in it's banks, kits that sound similar to
the older model DR Groove 202 (which I use now), a chromatic tuner that sometimes registers a key a step above the root-note and a guitar modeler that is no where near a pod or even Beh V-Amp.
However, the DR5 is importantly geared with a wide variety of kicks and snares(32 & 40 respectively) and cymbalswhere you can adjust resonance & decay with a higher incremental value than Boss's other line of "canned drums".
Unit is 16 bit and clocks @ 48. It is indeed an upgrade of other Boss machines and if I didn't own the 202, I would consider this unit. However, I've grown tired of "canned machines" and now
intend to move to the next level; purchasing an actual drum kit!
Ain't nuthin' like the real thing baby!

Peace
Q.rM

I don't know if i'm up to spamming level yet but I have a DR660 and a DR5 i'mwanting to sell.

Aside from that I don't know jack about a DR3 or any of the other newer BOSS boxes. The DR660 & 770 are the top drum machines models from BOSS. They are made to create drum patterns while the DR.5 is made to do drums and more. The "and more" part has some nice stuff some of which MISTERQUE covered. If you need just drums though then I say get the DR770 (or 660) pr something more along that line. If you want some extras sounds then you should look toward the DR5 model.

monty, U have just posted in the most exciting forum on this BBS!!
I am honored that you took the time out to post such invaluable
advice to this thread!!

Mustafa will be proud of you!

Canned kits?

Then I know I wont be satisfied with canned kits cause the factory settings allways need adjustments for different atimsferes.
In live situations you might want to lower the decay the add some reverb to your mixer.
In recording you want to play the bass level to get rid of clipping on the tape deck; etc.

Thanx for the info. I'll deffinitly hit the music store before I buy!

Kevin

Back