DR-40x is it ok using different types of mics at the same time?

AndreiR

Hello everybody!
I have a question about tascam dr-40x. Is it possible to use two different types of mics at the same time — one condenser (phantom powered) and one dynamic (something like sm57)? :unsure:
Thank you!

I have the DR40 and I might have recorded with different mics in the past. Can't remember. However, it won't be a problem. There are two warnings when using external mics. 1) Don't turn phantom power on until after the mics are connected. 2) Do not use phantom power with a ribbon mic.

So for the SM57 and a condensor mice, you should be fine.

I have the DR40 and I might have recorded with different mics in the past. Can't remember. However, it won't be a problem. There are two warnings when using external mics. 1) Don't turn phantom power on until after the mics are connected. 2) Do not use phantom power with a ribbon mic.

So for the SM57 and a condensor mice, you should be fine.
Thanks Chili for your reply! My worries are not about the sm57 (it’s quite indestructible), but about the dr40x/dr40, thinking that something might get “fried” in it... preamp?... But if you say it works just fine, then it’s great!

OK, I found it in the manual:

“When using condenser mics that require phantom power and dynamic mics together, be sure to use balanced dynamic mics. Unbalanced dynamic mics cannot be used when phantom power is enabled.”

SM57 is a balanced mic.

I cant remember when my phantom power was turned off? With my background also including live sound - global phantom on every input because you had just a couple of condensers on stage never, ever caused me grief. While I have never actually damaged a ribbon with accidental phantom - when you plug in a cable with phantom applied - it's quite odd to see the ribbon give a little 'shiver'. When the XLR is connected, pins 2 and 3 can make contact at slightly different times, and you can actually see a little physical movement. So much so, I tried it again when I was giving one a clean and had the ribbon exposed. Just a little kind of 'flick'. So despite me not bothering with dynamics, I do take a bit more care with my ribbons. Realistically, the same thing happens in the dynamic's coils, but as I have never damaged one, I figure it's less stress than being whacked by a drumstick, or knocked to the floor!

Thanks rob aylestone. This is where the question started, in the following statement of the manual:
“Set the phantom power switch to ON only when using a condenser microphone that requires phantom power. Turning phantom power on when a dynamic mic or other mic that does not require it is connected could damage this unit and connected equipment.”

I like the notion that the equipment supplying the power could damage itself! In this day and age of covering oneself against ANY eventuality means that we get bombarded with possibilities that could, going downhill with the wind behind you cause damage, in unforeseen or impossible circumstances. Your covid jab could cause a blood clot, but statistically won't, but could. The trouble is, if your Shure SM57 died, was it the phantom, or the drop on the concrete floor the drummer kept to himself?

I cannot subscribe to all these remote possibilities now trotted out as the word of God. I used to get quite wound up by it, but in this internet world, people believe the doom and gloom far too readily. One of my friends spent ages trying to measure the diameter of the copper wire in a dynamic capsule so he could calculate it's current carrying capability, then with the maximum, current available to a mic limited by the two 680R resistors, he could categorically prove it was possible to damage them/NOT damage them. His micrometer slipped and broke the wire, and the mic ended up in the bin. He did measure it and calculated the current available was insufficient to damage the copper, and in doing the test wrecked one microphone more than phantom ever has!

I like the notion that the equipment supplying the power could damage itself! In this day and age of covering oneself against ANY eventuality means that we get bombarded with possibilities that could, going downhill with the wind behind you cause damage, in unforeseen or impossible circumstances. Your covid jab could cause a blood clot, but statistically won't, but could. The trouble is, if your Shure SM57 died, was it the phantom, or the drop on the concrete floor the drummer kept to himself?

I cannot subscribe to all these remote possibilities now trotted out as the word of God. I used to get quite wound up by it, but in this internet world, people believe the doom and gloom far too readily. One of my friends spent ages trying to measure the diameter of the copper wire in a dynamic capsule so he could calculate it's current carrying capability, then with the maximum, current available to a mic limited by the two 680R resistors, he could categorically prove it was possible to damage them/NOT damage them. His micrometer slipped and broke the wire, and the mic ended up in the bin. He did measure it and calculated the current available was insufficient to damage the copper, and in doing the test wrecked one microphone more than phantom ever has!
Such times indeed. Covering one’s ..s is the most important thing. Your friend’s story is quite exemplary. But for the sakes of scientific truth sacrificing a mic is a small thing to pay (easy for me to say, right?))) The innocence of Mr. Phantom is proven again!

I cant remember when my phantom power was turned off?
I am in the camp to turn phantom power off when connecting or disconnecting mics. It's not difficult to do. However, I do recognize that it isn't necessary in most cases. When I mentioned the warning in my post above, I was reiterating what was written in the DR40 manual. Don't know why they warn against it, but I'm guessing they tested both ways and deemed it more prudent to turn phantom power off when connecting or disconnecting mics.

I mention this just in case your reply was in response to my reply above. :)

No just a general comment I think. In fact, the annoyance of walking from the mixer to the stage, plugging in a mic then having to walk all the way to the mixer to turn on phantom, with the fader half open, just made me turn it on and forget the switch. The only bizarre thing was when I connected a couple of xlr cables to another mixer output. I discovered the soundcraft sub mixer did NOT like having phantom up it’s output. Sound was fine, but all it’s LEDS came on full on the output metering! The rule about never connecting mics with faders up I often ignore too, on your own it was too time consuming, so just a little fader so you can plug in, with a modest crack and confirm operation with a grill tap.

currently of course, I’ve run out of excuses because I can shove faders and turn power on and off from my phone, but old habits die hard and I’ve never lost an HF driver doing my ‘wrong’ way for years.

Back