Download freely FL Studio

I tried to condense everything into the shortest possible reply. I hope you have the intelligence to take something from every sentence to paint you the picture of my stance which seems to have still gone over your head.

I don't steal/pirate, I don't condone it. I just don't care if somebody rips off somebody who is ripping you off. It's that simple.

When lines get crossed between what is illegal/legal/moral/immoral it turns into politics.

I am hoping to not have to do any building/contracting work ever again pretty soon. I am actually telling people (please don't recommend me) they all laugh and find that extremely uncommon.

I tried to condense everything into the shortest possible reply. I hope you have the intelligence to take something from every sentence to paint you the picture of my stance which seems to have still gone over your head.

I don't steal/pirate, I don't condone it. I just don't care if somebody rips off somebody who is ripping you off. It's that simple.

When lines get crossed between what is illegal/legal/moral/immoral it turns into politics.

I am hoping to not have to do any building/contracting work ever again pretty soon. I am actually telling people (please don't recommend me) they all laugh and find that extremely uncommon.
Fair enough. Not caring if others steal though, is condoning the practice in my opinion. Just saying...

Trust me, I am hoping to get out of the whole construction field myself. I love the work and it pays the bills more than my studio does, but my body just can't handle it anymore. We agree on something! :-)

I was not trying to judge you man. Just a conversational retort. Again, we can agree to have different opinions. I may just be a dick... :oops:

Did you know it is illegal for me to ridiculously overcharge customers when doing building work?

^ TalismanRich's analogy is actually a good one. Not to code your own but to find an alternative. That's what I do.
But please... painting brick? That's the worst thing you could ever do. (Unless it was painted previously then you kind of have no choice)
Nah, I didn't paint the brick. Had to do around the garage door, the front porch and front door, back door to the garage, and all the basement windows, etc.

paintjob.jpg

Nah, I didn't paint the brick. Had to do around the garage door, the front porch and front door, back door to the garage, and all the basement windows, etc.

View attachment 116946
I also agree with Jam here. YAY! Painting brick is not ever a long lasting good idea. I just had a client ask me if I would do it, Fuck no was my answer in nicer words.

If it is done, there are preparation steps and products to use that 'might' make it last. I hope you power washed it, used primer for the purpose, and expect it to only last 3-5 years in direct sunlight before it peels off if the brick is soft. It likely has more to do with the porosity/composition of the brick, the quality of the bond, and the cost of said materials to do it right. Temp changes and sunlight between substrates of exterior finishes greatly diminishes the lifespan.

Another bad analogy:

Spray paint a simple castle you made with a bucket in a sandbox. How long does that paint job last?

A bit like a copper turning a blind eye. I get it.

I'm well aware that it was me that lit the fire, so in a way, I am asking for a hard time. You're cool in my book. It's a touchy subject anyway.

If you feel like you want to get out of construction then imo it is essential you do it! And I wish you all the best and good luck with that because making that move for myself felt like a rebirth, my life has never been better, I am in the best shape of my life, best state of mind. And doing things I actually enjoy, I now wish my days are longer, where before I wished they were shorter. That's massive.

I will probaby always do a little here and there, and I will enjoy that. But construction is not scratching that itch.

Cheers!

EDIT: TalismanRich, that looks like a lovely house, great job!

A bit like a copper turning a blind eye. I get it.

I'm well aware that it was me that lit the fire, so in a way, I am asking for a hard time. You're cool in my book. It's a touchy subject anyway.

If you feel like you want to get out of construction then imo it is essential you do it! And I wish you all the best and good luck with that because making that move for myself felt like a rebirth, my life has never been better, I am in the best shape of my life, best state of mind. And doing things I actually enjoy, I now wish my days are longer, where before I wished they were shorter. That's massive.

I will probaby always do a little here and there, and I will enjoy that. But construction is not scratching that itch.

Cheers!

EDIT: TalismanRich, that looks like a lovely house, great job!
HA! And also yeah...

Unfortunately for me, I actually enjoy doing what I do. That also resulted in decades of highly praised reviews and my ability to afford keeping on with it. I am always booked out 3 to 5 months in advance and I can name my price. Within reason obviously, or I would be a dick. It may be different from your perspective however, if you are not the owner and just working for a dick that does not appreciate you. I do most of the work myself.

The problem there, is that I can't find a great employee that can take over the business. What is that song? 'Nobody does it better'? I just can't trust others to do what I know and do my way. Some type of narcicistic thing maybe? Erg..

I had the guy that was going to take over the 'working' part of my business 10 yeards ago, Sadly my son lost his life in a car accident. Now I just pay way more money than I should to guys that don't really give a shit about quality. So I do it and they watch me work for $30 an hour. It sucks!

Anyway, best to your new endeavors and hope you enjoy the rest of your life Jam! Or whatever your name is. My name is James. The Jimmy is just my stage name. lol

Love driving down the road and seeing my work, I don't regret building, I'll keep doing it but it would probably just be for friends/family. My last job in which I ended up doing 2bathroom, a kitchen, a new staircase, a double garage and more just so happened to be for a guy that does broadcast and I got to know him. He brought me into a few live shoots and he seems happy to be able to keep me going with enough work that I do not have to work in the construction anymore. He still wants me to do building work for him and I will. But I'm very lucky because the guy is one of the top in his field and gets called on with some pretty big job/events. The original sound guy is close to retiring. And it's work I enjoy. It can be a rush at times!

If you enjoy doing what you do then my advice is wrong. I worded it above (If you feel like you want to get out of construction) because I was not sure. In that case I'd try to stay involved as much as you can but I know that this is easier said than done and a lot of things are out of your control. I never worked for a big company, I have pretty much always been self employed, the jobs are usually small enough that there only needs to be 2 or 3 guys. (Private work)

I can't imagine losing one of my 2 children, I just can't fathom it. I'm truly very sorry to hear that. It is bad enough that I am slowly losing them and I am trying to stay relevent in their lives. I worry for them a lot because of reasons above that Grim mentioned, but I have a constant fear that the ex will take them across the country aswel because it's something she kept threatening me with in the past.

It didn't work out for me, I missed my chance to have that happy family. I won't be trying again, snip snip for me.

My name is James also

Love driving down the road and seeing my work, I don't regret building, I'll keep doing it but it would probably just be for friends/family. My last job in which I ended up doing 2bathroom, a kitchen, a new staircase, a double garage and more just so happened to be for a guy that does broadcast and I got to know him. He brought me into a few live shoots and he seems happy to be able to keep me going with enough work that I do not have to work in the construction anymore. He still wants me to do building work for him and I will. But I'm very lucky because the guy is one of the top in his field and gets called on with some pretty big job/events. The original sound guy is close to retiring. And it's work I enjoy. It can be a rush at times!

If you enjoy doing what you do then my advice is wrong. I worded it above (If you feel like you want to get out of construction) because I was not sure. In that case I'd try to stay involved as much as you can but I know that this is easier said than done and a lot of things are out of your control. I never worked for a big company, I have pretty much always been self employed, the jobs are usually small enough that there only needs to be 2 or 3 guys. (Private work)

I can't imagine losing one of my 2 children, I just can't fathom it. I'm truly very sorry to hear that. It is bad enough that I am slowly losing them and I am trying to stay relevent in their lives. I worry for them a lot because of reasons above that Grim mentioned, but I have a constant fear that the ex will take them across the country aswel because it's something she kept threatening me with in the past.

It didn't work out for me, I missed my chance to have that happy family. I won't be trying again, snip snip for me.

My name is James also
I do the same man. Three decades of doing the remodeling thing, I am really proud of what I have accomplished.

I congratulate you for finding a new path via a customer. I have had opportunities myself, but nothing that could warrant changing my trade. Hell just this week, a homeowner from a $75g bathroom project I did 8 years ago called me up and asked me to do some touch-up work on his home because he is moving to Florida. He selling his 1.5M home and it's contents. He has a $8000 I8 Sleep number bed that is only a few months old he is giving me. And a lawn mower and a bunch of other shit. No job offer though other than remodeling his new home which I obviously turned down. My family is here.

Thank you for the understanding of my losing a child. I hope noone ever has to go through that! It is horrible to be in that 'club'. I have been to now 5 funerals from various musicians/close friends that had similar situations. The club is a kind of assumed support group we have.. It's usually drug related to some point, which is ironic because none of us in the club did drugs after having children. We kick ourselves in the ass and feel guilty for not being more strict in how we raised them. By that I mean, they saw who we were and the great things we accomplished, but there was the 'since you did that when you were young' they didn't relate that to their own ideals. It really sucks man!

I wish you the best in your situation with kids and an ex. I completely understand how hard that can be. Just do what is best for your kids man. That is what is most important. The mother may also bean important part to the kids, even if the relationship is a personal disaster for you together.

So, James, we definitely have a great name in common. 8-)

It was a pleasure conversing with you man. For whatever it is worth, we now have a better understanding of each other. Nice to meet you James! Sure I'll see you around here more. :-)

Hope the OP figures something out! LOL - It was his only post so far, so not apologizing for jacking his thread....

I stole that from the Queen. But don't tell anyone. She might not take kindly to it becoming public knowledge that she and I....

breathed the same air.
On Shaftsbury Avenue, one Thursday.

I suspect the OP was trollin anyway?

James it is nice to meet you too, It's great how there are so many interesting people on here once you get talking.

I am sorry for the delay, yesterday I was feeling very ill, today I tested positive for covid. I feel much better today hopefully it will be a fast one.
It kinda makes sense to me now how over the last few days I felt so exhausted.

That customer has helped me out a lot in the past aswel, I have his sofa, a lot of his audio equipment, mics etc. He's definitely been looking out for me. I am just glad that he hasn't got anything lined up for me until the 27th so I don't have to let him down through covid.

All the best mate. Pleasure to talk with you. I will see you around for sure

Back