Double kicks with out sound holes

I found some super cheap piezos at radio shack and I'm going to plumb them up and give it a go this afternoon. Should be a fun little project. My concern with these things is that they can output a pretty decent voltage when tweaked sharply...upwards of 5 volts or so as I understand. I'm not so sure that my mic pre-amps are up to this...I'll have to do a little homework on that subject.

Anyways, again...thanks all for the advice and suggestions.

The guys in REAPER chat were talking about how to make cheap triggers lately. Combined with an excellent look ahead gate you can really pull off some good tricks. Try like Farview says and post the pictures

A lot of (my) metal techique requires a closed bass drum for as much beater rebound as possible. I got to the point of being able to play double-strokes, then started cutting holes... No more double-strokes. Can be an expensive experiment.

I've currently got a single mic (Senn e602) on back of drum pointed at beaters. So far it's better than pointing at reso head, but not quite perfect yet. A KSM27 about six feet in front is helping, but my room sucks. Triggering is blasphemy for this stubborn cuss, can't do it.

I think triggering is ok, it's just another tool. For me the blasphemous part is that so many go straight to triggering and completely ignore acoustics. Especially when so many are so careful about the other parts of their signal chain while tracking, but disregard the kick as an instrument. Seems more and more people just say screw it when it comes to drums and just start with triggering and samples in mind before the kit is ever even setup.

Of course it's easy for me to say that when I suck at tracking drums anyway :P.

for a sound like this, if I didn't want to use samples, I'd probably stick a 421 near the beater to get a good click and use that sound to key a 50 Hz sine wave.

But I'd probably use samples. Everybody's doin' it!

Remove the heads and place the mics inside... lately I've recorded kick removing the front head and micing with a Neumann U47 or a Shure KSM 32 and really love the results.
Good luck

My trigger experiment worked out great. I went to radio shack and picked up a dozen piezo buzzers for a buck a piece. Cracked the covers open and soldered them to XLR connectors. used some foam I had laying around and slipped the piezos into a slit in the foam and taped them to the batter heads near the rim. Plugged them into the recording snake and voila! If this turns out to be something desirable, I'll fab up a more permanant mounting solution...likely something rim mounted.

Nice sharp peaks being recorded. Since I don't have a drum-brain-box, I was hoping to use these peaks to trigger samples but that seems to be the difficult task at this time. I'm using SONAR 7 which has V-Vocal. It's supposed to be able to convert audio to midi but no luck with this at all. I've also downloaded KTDrum Trigger but still, not getting it. The support information for this plugin isn't obvious to the midi-impaired.

The #2 Beta52 should be here on Monday but for the time I'm obsessed with this little project and I've got to get it out of my system. :D

Drumagog would be great. It will trigger midi or it's own samples (or yours). Aptrigga will trigger samples from audio spikes.

I was going to mention drumagog at the start, but didn't think you would get this far. haha Welcome to drum sampling my friend. You could easily sample the whole kit at this point. The sound you will end up with can be had, though, by taking off the coveted heads, and putting those 52's in the shell, a couple inches off the beater.

Thanks guys,

I'm not ready to abandon conventional recording methods just yet...I'm a bit old-school. At this point I've got a bug up the butt and a week off from work to get the hang of this obsession.

Thanks for the advice.

I believe sonar has some sort of "generate midi note" command, although it's been a while since I switched to Pro Tools.

Check the help maybe?

Yeah, I've been poking at a couple things here in SONAR. V-Vocal is supposed to do it but I'm reading all over the place where people are having problems with it. I've probed the cakewalk site as well but nothing yet. I'm gonna take verbal beating if I cave in and purchase a trigger to midi box :D but I will if I have to. I'm thinking it best to wait until the shock of the new mic purchase wears off though.

You don't need midi with drumagog, or aptrigga. Just open an audio track in sonar and record the trigger. Insert drumagog in fx bin. Choose your sample. Voila!

A lot of favorable comments towards drummagog. Looks like this might be the best bet in a long run. I'll check out the reaper plugs but then, I guess I'm going to have some 'splainin' to do when I place my order for drummagog :o

Back