Don't wake up

ksounds

Lately I've been doing alot of recording on a cassette portastudio, but I have a mac and went out and got an m-audio solo so I could check out Garageband. It's a great little program. So I put a dbx 163x in front of the M-audio solo, and plugged a Rode NT3 into it...the following is what came out of it. No eq, just a little reverb and a pop filter. It's called "Don't wake up"...just click the little green arrow next to the title.

http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSjaVm0ZWE

Sounds very good... The guitar is right there but it doesn't tromp all over the vocals. Vocals and guitar are clean and clean. The reverb sounds good on this too. The bongo is a nice change from my... I mean the usual...electric drums...:rolleyes: :D It might be a little hot, not sure...it's quite present....Oh I like the oohs...

The reverb sounds good on this too. The bongo is a nice change from my... I mean the usual...electric drums...:rolleyes: :D It might be a little hot, not sure...it's quite present....Oh I like the oohs...

Thanks ido. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the garage band reverb sounded.

I have the "normalize" setting selected in the audio preferences of garage band on export. This may attribute to it's "hotness", though I've heard hotter. Also, the Rode NT3 is a pretty "present" microphone I've noticed.

Not bad - the song's good the arrangements too. Congas are too loud - I agree with Ido.
I miss the porta sound though.
Garage band doesn't sound as bad as I'd been lead to believe.
Good song - yet again!

Not bad - the song's good the arrangements too. Congas are too loud - I agree with Ido.
I miss the porta sound though.
Garage band doesn't sound as bad as I'd been lead to believe.
Good song - yet again!

Thanks Ray. Hmmm. I'm not quite hearing the congas being to loud or present in the mix. They sound kind of pushed back to me.

As far as garageband goes, would the sound not be the same as other software applications at the same sample settings, being digital and all?

So far, garageband has been vey easy to use, very intuitive, and quite easy to grasp. I'm super impressed.

This song is more or less a sketch that I'm trying to flesh out in hopes that I may one day be playing in a band again and have some song ideas in the hopper. For this purpose, Garageband and the M-Audio Solo, both have really impressed me as far as sound quality and flexibility are concerned. Though I will say, having some sort of preamp feeding into the M-audio solo is almost necessary as the gain has little headroom otherwise. For this, the dbx 163 x is perfect as it has a hi-z input as well as it's compressor function. Luckily I have the nt3, as the dbx unit does not supply phantom power.

There is a gem in here.

I like the delivery, mostly. There are a few times where the vocal gets a little flat when you drop to the root note ending a phrase, which kid of spoils it if only a little.

I don't like it when you tap the guitar body.

Personally, I don't think the falsetto works as it is... Maybe if it were to sink into the background more. But it's too strident against the laidback main vocal.
Maybe a reverb where most of the source signal is taken out? Something ghostly.

YMMV.

There is a gem in here.

I like the delivery, mostly. There are a few times where the vocal gets a little flat when you drop to the root note ending a phrase, which kid of spoils it if only a little.

I don't like it when you tap the guitar body.

Personally, I don't think the falsetto works as it is... Maybe if it were to sink into the background more. But it's too strident against the laidback main vocal.
Maybe a reverb where most of the source signal is taken out? Something ghostly.

YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback supercreep. I agree with you on the vocals being flat on some parts. I think this song warrants redoing all the vocals, as this is still the first take. I also fully agree with you on the falsetto...

I have plans to retrack this on Sunday (I'm married so I have to book time with the wife:D).

Glad you could see the potential. any future changes I make to the song will be tacked on to the "Don't Wake Up - Pleazse Don't Taze Me Bro" thread, as I will be hosting this song from my soundclick account and not the above links anymore. Not sure how much longer they will work:rolleyes:

Back