Dongle replacement.

Some people complain that the dongle "needlessly" takes up a USB port. Others have said that the constant checking Cubase does to make sure the dongle is still there affects performance (if not stability). I don't know how much truth there is to the latter claim, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. I'd be interested to know the results if anyone has run a legit copy beside a pirated copy.

Mine is a legit version of SX3 - never ever had an issue, very stable. I admit that I did have a pirate copy of SX2 which used to crash regularly, the reason I tried the pirate version was really for demo purposes. I liked the product so I paid €750 for the full version. Believe me, the full version is way more stable plus you get the updates and support from Cubase.net.... and yea, you don't face jail time or a large fine!

To those people, I would say that they should learn about how USB works before complaining about "wasting a port". You can connect 127 devices (in serial, hence the name, Universal SERIAL Bus) with any single USB controller (even if that controller only has a single USB port). The entire architecture was designed to allow connection of multiple devices through one port so this complaint is uninformed and really....it's just silly.
That's an excellent point. I think this was more an issue for people years ago when motherboards only had 2 USB ports (and none front-side). So while, sure, they could get a USB hub, I can see why it might be considered a minor pain.

The altered versions don't even remove these checks - the dongle is just emulated in software and all those calls are still made (to the emulated dongle instead of a physical one) - so again, this is just silly.
Ah, I see. But I'd be surprised if a USB "heartbeat" was as fast as a software one. Though granted, I don't know enough to say this with certainty.

Also, any idea how often the software checks for the dongle? Once every second? Dozens of times per second? Every time I click somewhere?

That's an excellent point. I think this was more an issue for people years ago when motherboards only had 2 USB ports (and none front-side). So while, sure, they could get a USB hub, I can see why it might be considered a minor pain.
Oh, and I've read complaints on cubase.net from people who want to use Cubase on a laptop. Few USB ports = dongle annoyance.

That, and if they want to use it in a live setting, there's always the danger of the dongle getting lost/stolen/broken.

I for one don't blame Steinberg at all for trying to protect their intellectual property.

If you don't like it or disagree with it, vote with your wallet. Don't buy it and use another app.

It's not like this is some limitation to the app that gets sprung on you after you buy it. I just don't get the complaints...... (I;m not doggin on you dude, just in general about people who mitch about the dongle).

Oh, and I've read complaints on cubase.net from people who want to use Cubase on a laptop. Few USB ports = dongle annoyance.

That, and if they want to use it in a live setting, there's always the danger of the dongle getting lost/stolen/broken.

Again, if you lost a $600 snare drum, can you call up Ludwig and get them to send you a new one?
It is a lot easier to lose a dongle than a snare drum. I have a USB key in front of me that I have to drop in a colleagues letter box in the morning because he left it behind. Not the first time I have seen USB keys lost. Right or wrong we are only human and it happens. These things have a tendency to get lost.

I guess that the dongle method of securing software must be the most secure method. Otherwise it would be a no brainer that you would include the security system in the software.

BTW I downloaded Reaper for a trial. I've never used anything digital in my music life. It has a free 30 day trial so I thought why not give it a try. Seems quite good to me and I am told it has no technical limitations. Any comments?

It is a lot easier to lose a dongle than a snare drum. I have a USB key in front of me that I have to drop in a colleagues letter box in the morning because he left it behind. Not the first time I have seen USB keys lost. Right or wrong we are only human and it happens. These things have a tendency to get lost.

I guess that the dongle method of securing software must be the most secure method. Otherwise it would be a no brainer that you would include the security system in the software.

BTW I downloaded Reaper for a trial. I've never used anything digital in my music life. It has a free 30 day trial so I thought why not give it a try. Seems quite good to me and I am told it has no technical limitations. Any comments?
OK, not a snare drum but one of those little $300 iPods, will Apple replace it because you lost it?
How about a diamond? Will the jeweler replace it if it falls out of its setting?

How easy it is to misplace doesn't have any bearing on the companies liability. If it did, dongles would all be tied to cinder blocks like the bathroom keys at gas stations. (that might be your solution, tie it to something big and heavy)

Good point, your logic is sound. I counter your parry with;
Can a protection mechanism built into the software be as effective as a dongle system?

Can a protection mechanism built into the software be as effective as a dongle system?

Not at any where near the same cost, and it's the end user who has to pay for it. Then everyone'll bitch about that ultimately.

None of them are effective at all - the dongle system can be transferred to other machines more easily - that's the advantage. That's why it's used, I'm pretty sure...for your convenience (ironically enough) :p

Go to www.reaper.fm and get a sequencer that doesn't require one (and is cheaper than Cubase, too...)
I checked Reaper out, it seems good and the price is great. But I know very little about this stuff. Can anyone think of a disadvantage associated with a newb becoming committed to Reaper rather than Cubase? I don't want to have to re-learn everything in 3 years if someday I find I started out on the wrong track (product). I am guessing it takes a long time to get deep understanding of a sequencer when you start from a base knowledge of zero. I don't want to do it twice

PS - That was the 1st time I have heard the term "sequencer" used to describe these software packages. I thought we were talking about DAWs. It is good to get the terminology straight. Thanks.

Can anyone think of a disadvantage associated with a newb becoming committed to Reaper rather than Cubase?

No! A lot of us (well... me, at least) would LOVE to be in that position - Instead, I am totally locked into Cubase now - it would take so much time to switch over to Reaper with all the templates, presets, drum maps, etc. etc. etc. etc. I have spent countless hours building in Cubase that I now rely heavily on to work efficiently. From what I have read and heard, there isn't much, if anything at all, that makes Reaper inferior to anything else, and there are quite a few things that could arguably make it superior. I was fascinated with the plugin scripting system, personally... never seen anything like that - scripting your own plugins=Brilliant!

Dame here.

And you won't have to relearn everything - in fact, the vast majority of what you will learn carries from one DAW to another.

Personally, I recommend Reaper to all newbs because of he price point and how user-friendly it is. And it is by no means a poor cousin to any of the other DAWS. So much so that I am considering purchasing it.

No! A lot of us (well... me, at least) would LOVE to be in that position - Instead, I am totally locked into Cubase now - it would take so much time to switch over to Reaper with all the templates, presets, drum maps, etc. etc. etc. etc. I have spent countless hours building in Cubase that I now rely heavily on to work efficiently. From what I have read and heard, there isn't much, if anything at all, that makes Reaper inferior to anything else, and there are quite a few things that could arguably make it superior. I was fascinated with the plugin scripting system, personally... never seen anything like that - scripting your own plugins=Brilliant!

Great. I can spend a bit extra on an interface (Edirol UA25EX USB was recommended. I thought should go Firewire but not needed and can create more hassles I am told), laptop (?), mic(?) and monitors (?). I could get Cubase 4 cheap as I qualify for an academic version, but Reaper is only USD$50. I thought about Pro Tools but they have nothing between the bundled LE version and the full blown $10,000 version.

If I go Cubase I am guessing with the dongle system I could have Cubase installed on any number of machines simultaneously, carry my dongle with me and plug it in to use a machine. Is this correct?

Great. I can spend a bit extra on an interface (Edirol UA25EX USB was recommended. I thought should go Firewire but not needed and can create more hassles I am told)
Wait... what? Really? Who told you this, and why did they say it was the case? I don't think this is correct at all - as I have always understood it, the fundamental way that Firewire works is just better for constant streams of information like is needed when doing A/D conversion in real time - you can't afford to just drop bits here and there or you get nasty artifacts/sync problems. USB, however, does not share the same...foundation (for lack of a better term) and is more prone to the afore-mentioned issues. If this is not correct, then I want to know. I could go research it, and I probably will - it has something to do with asynchronous transfers (or something to that effect), if I recall correctly...

If I go Cubase I am guessing with the dongle system I could have Cubase installed on any number of machines simultaneously, carry my dongle with me and plug it in to use a machine. Is this correct?

That is correct.

Off to Google I go about the firewire vs. USB thing.

Back