does anyone else have a noisy pc?

matt's bedroom

.....cos the pc i use to record makes a steady whir considerably louder than most i've experienced. i think it's probably one of the internal fans.
so considering i'm recording in the same room as this beast and it's making a considerable impact on the level of background noise, i'm wondering if anyone has a solution to quietening the sound?

i've thought about changing the fan, though i'm not sure which one and it might prove complex and expensive. i can't really record in a different room either, so i was thinking the only solution would be to cover mr. pc with something to muffle the sound it's making.
however, i'm sure this would not be a good idea because the computer would probably overheat, so i'm a bit stuck. :S

i can't really see anyone being able to help me with this particular question but i thought it might be worth a shot, ya never know, someone may have been experiencing the same phenomenon and found a solution......

thanks for listening
-matt :)

While you're recording, throw a blanket over it and then remove it when you're done.
It really only becomes an issue when doing solo acoustic stuff. In a rock tune the background noise gets lost in the wash.

Use a directional pattern (cardioid) microphone, and place the microphone so that the PC is directly behind it. That'll help (a little). You can also use noise reduction/noise gating/volume panning to eliminate the noise to some extent.

Search in the studio building forum, and the microphone forum, there's some good threads in there addressing this topic.

Queue

cheers track rat, i'm glad the 'blanket over the pc while recording' option is a viable one - nice and easy and cheap :)

queue, i did imagine a cardiod mic might help minimise the background noise in my room. i'm gonna try to point mine away from the computer from now on.

thanks for your help guys,
-matt

Noise

My hard drive sounds like a wood chipper, but what can you do. Be careful with that blanket, don't block off air vents, the PC needs to cool off, that's what all the noisey fans are for. Pointing your mic away helps, but won't get rid of the noise, since sound bounces around. Close micing helps keep the noise floor low compared to the signal.

Maybe a blanket hung between computer and mic would help.

I've dealt with this problem on a few different levels. If you can use two different rooms... use the one with your pc as the control room and run the cables to a different room and record in there. I set up that way and bought a wireless device called KEYSPAN and I can hit record on the remote and my PC starts recording. It's a great little tool. That's the best way to get rid of the noise.

But other than that I have a TV cart thing I use...it has two glass doors and has an opening in the back. When I'm not recording I open the doors. It really eliminates most of the noise.

Another option which is something I was considering is to build a wooden box minus the bottom. Just put a handle on top and when you're going to record put the box on top of your pc...then pull it off when youre done. I don't think you'd have a problem with overheating...they do have those refrigerators that go inside your computer too. I mean I've seen people with computer desks that have a little compartment for the computer and if you leave the door shut they get extremely hot! So it's really no different than that.

One of my PCs' power-supply cooling fans developed a squeal over a period of 3 or 4 years (bearing shot in fan). It was so subtle that I didn't really notice until it became really annoying. The fix was simply to replace the power-supply ($20 from CompUSA) and the thing is so darned quiet now that I have to keep checking to see if it's on!

The "blanket-fix" mentioned in another post might be OK for very short periods, but could screw-up the cooling especially on those hot summer days!

- Wil

I have my computer under a desk, and a heavy cloth "curtain" on the front of the desk, which I close when I record. Cuts the computer noise by 75% at least. I leave it open when not recording, seems to work better then my old " throw winter coat on computer" trick, because if I forget to open the "curtain", my computer still gets air throught the back of the desk.

I trust everyone understood that the blanket does NOT stay on the computer but is only on it while in record. Also the noise generated is more high frequency and relativly easy to slow down significantly with options like boxes or blankets. Hey, it could be worse. Like trying to keep that pesky 2" 24 track Studer in the corner of the bedroom quiet.:D

Track Rat, we understand about the "taking the blanket off" part. However, some of us (at least I have heard) track when completely wasted and pass out with blankets on our computers.

Whoever does that should be shot, I have just heard that myth. I do, of course, enjoy a snifter of port at Christmas. Doh!

Well
Personally I no longer experiment with drugs or alcohol....I'm in full scale research....
:D

Attachments

• rasta3.gif
    rasta3.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 41
would it not be cheaper to buy a pc case with a whisper quiet fan i have one of these they work pretty well just my thought anyway just look around or phone your local supplier tell them what you want im sure you can get a decent atx case which will be quiet :)

If buying a new atx case dont sound great you can also get replacement fans with quiet bearings we have a pc like this i,ll tell you sometimes you got to wonder if this thing is actually on its so whisper quiet remember those cheap fans installed aint all they are cracked up to be they may run fine but they sure let you know they are there try the suppliers iam sure someone there can assist you

I did a search on this as I'm having massive trouble with background noise...I have a RODE NT3 which is a hyper cardoid pattern which picks up more noise than a cardoid...
The lift off box sounds good. So does the blanket(the price is right)..I know there are silent pc cooling fans but I've had no luck at all trying to find them...

Well, the reason you don't want to leave the blanket over the computer is you don't want it to overheat.

I keep my computer in the bedroom next to my studio (den). I have exstensions on my monitor, keyboard and mouse.

The only somewhat sucky thing about this arrangement is that with two extensions on on your monitor you will get some degree of ghosting (double image) due to signal loss (or somthing to that effect) which can't be helped. But I've found it's worth it and not a very big deal.

Take care,
Chris

for those of you who dont want to spend $20 on a silent fan, if you take the cover off while you record you will let out a lot of heat, what this will enable you to do is to plug the 12V fan into the 5V plug right next to the 12V plug. This will cause it to spin slower... quieter. if this is under your desk then dust shouldn't really be bad, ust pop the case back ontop afterwards.

Back