does a soundcard makes change to the MIX??

tomy

Hi, want to ask , does a soundcard makes change to the mix? for ex. if I use all soft synth, vsti to make music , and export them all to wave files, and mix them, export a wave file at last, all steps are internal, is that wave file's quality relate to the soundcard directly?!

Yes...to a degree, when you export/play out of the soundcard...but with most decent cards, there shouldn't be anything really noticable.

Last edited:
Miroslav is correct that when you play the mix it comes out your sound card. But the direct answer to your question is that Wave files rendered from within a DAW program do not go through the sound card. The mix is "computed" inside the DAW software and then written directly to a Wave file on your hard drive.

--Ethan

Hi, want to ask , does a soundcard makes change to the mix? for ex. if I use all soft synth, vsti to make music , and export them all to wave files, and mix them, export a wave file at last, all steps are internal, is that wave file's quality relate to the soundcard directly?!

If you do everything "in the box" then you should theoretically be able to remove your soundcard from your computer and it would make zero difference.

Right.

I wasn't 100% sure what he meant by "export a wave file at last"...I thought maybe he was playing back out through the soundcard since he was asking about the soundcard.
But yeah...if it all stays internal...there is no change to the WAV itsellf, internally.

That said...one must realize that we are ALWAYS playing through the soundcard as that is the only way to hear our mixes. :)
Soooooo...the soundcard is always affecting our mix.
If you swapped only the soundcard during a mixing project...you might hear your mix differently.
IOW...you can't just hear the WAV without using a soundcard...so there is no way you can remove it from the equation.

Again...in order for you to *hear* your mixes, the soundcard always matters.

Also, if you are mixing down outside of the box --- like you edit in your DAW but then play out of the soundcard in order to use outboard processing, etc...and then you record your stereo mix back into the DAW...
…the soundcard matters on both counts and at that point it WILL actually affect the WAV directly, not just what you hear, since there will be two conversions done...1 going out and 1 coming back in.

Your whole monitoring chain affects the mix by its sound. Your mixes will tend to have the inverse response of the monitors. That is, if the HF is lacking in your monitors you will probably over-emphasize that range. The sound card or interface is part of the monitoring chain.

That said...one must realize that we are ALWAYS playing through the soundcard as that is the only way to hear our mixes. :)
Soooooo...the soundcard is always affecting our mix.
If you swapped only the soundcard during a mixing project...you might hear your mix differently.
IOW...you can't just hear the WAV without using a soundcard...so there is no way you can remove it from the equation.

Agreed 100%

How about "mix down"? is it the better card can do really better? and in fact Im thinking about upgrade from M-Audio delta 66 to RME fireface UC, still thinking....

Get and RME. You won't go back.

Personally I'd go FireFace 800.

Again...in order for you to *hear* your mixes, the soundcard always matters.

Also, if you are mixing down outside of the box --- like you edit in your DAW but then play out of the soundcard in order to use outboard processing, etc...and then you record your stereo mix back into the DAW...
…the soundcard matters on both counts and at that point it WILL actually affect the WAV directly, not just what you hear, since there will be two conversions done...1 going out and 1 coming back in.

Exactly. This is my case. I mix both ITB and outside the box simultaneously on an analog console.

Therefore the sound card AD/DA converters are extremely important.

Also, one important thing to note: Apart from mixing, if your takes are done via your sound card to your DAW, then again, DA converters are very important as well.

And you can't really do a good mix with bad takes.

So I would say that, yes, the sound card (AD/DA converters) are the next more important things after mics and preamps. :)

Last edited:
Your whole monitoring chain affects the mix by its sound. Your mixes will tend to have the inverse response of the monitors. That is, if the HF is lacking in your monitors you will probably over-emphasize that range. The sound card or interface is part of the monitoring chain.

Nicely put. ;)

To the point.

Exactly. This is my case. I mix both ITB and outside the box simultaneously on an analog console.

Yup...this has been my SOP ever since I started using a DAW.

I track to tape (occasionally direct to DAW)...dump to DAW....edit, comp and do some light pre-mixing as needed and "spot"-EQ/Processing...then I playback out of the DAW through an analog desk, and I use all outboard processing for the mixdown.
The stereo mix then goes to a 2-track tape deck and directly outputs from it's playback head back into the DAW.
I then end up with a tape stereo mix and a digital stereo mix.

I have pretty decent converters (24 A/D/A channels from 3 Layla24 boxes)...but I've been thinking of maybe getting a higher end 2 channel A/D, like a Mytek, just for capturing that final stereo mix.

Yup...this has been my SOP ever since I started using a DAW.

I track to tape (occasionally direct to DAW)...dump to DAW....edit, comp and do some light pre-mixing as needed and "spot"-EQ/Processing...then I playback out of the DAW through an analog desk, and I use all outboard processing for the mixdown.
The stereo mix then goes to a 2-track tape deck and directly outputs from it's playback head back into the DAW.
I then end up with a tape stereo mix and a digital stereo mix.

I have pretty decent converters (24 A/D/A channels from 3 Layla24 boxes)...but I've been thinking of maybe getting a higher end 2 channel A/D, like a Mytek, just for capturing that final stereo mix.

As of today, I believe this is the best way to go and to combine both worlds.

I use RME converters and a 24-track Neve console for mixing and tracking.

I don't have a tape ... unfortunately...

Everything goes to my DAW (Logic 9.1.1).

You have a very nice setup!! ;)

What is your console?

... a 24-track Neve console for mixing and tracking.
What is your console?

:laughings:

Do you even care....you have a friggin' Neve!

;)

I have a TASCAM M-3500...not a Neve, but it's served me well for 20 years now. :cool:

I almost went RME converters...way back...but the Layla24 boxes were deemed almost identical quality-wise AFA the conversions go, and they were a lot less expensive.
The RME boxes are better built, very solid and sturdy, IMO...though the Laylas have never let me down in the last several years and they were a good fit for me at the time as I wanted 24 channels of A/D/A...and the price was right.

:laughings:

Do you even care....you have a friggin' Neve!

;)

I have a TASCAM M-3500...not a Neve, but it's served me well for 20 years now. :cool:

I almost went RME converters...way back...but the Layla24 boxes were deemed almost identical quality-wise AFA the conversions go, and they were a lot less expensive.
The RME boxes are better built, very solid and sturdy, IMO...though the Laylas have never let me down in the last several years and they were a good fit for me at the time as I wanted 24 channels of A/D/A...and the price was right.

First of all, I bought this console when it was still "cheaper".... Years and years, and still many years ago....

I, yes, do care 'cause if you have low-cost converters a Neve will sound like ass!

My 1073 pre-amps would not sound nice in my DAW with bad converters.

I went RME because, at the time, I didn't have the cash to go "Prism Sound". The best IMHO (I still don't have enough cash to buy them now either).

But they're not "that" far from RME's.

I just had enough to buy the RME. I'm very happy with their AD/DA converters.

Layla24 are very good as well !!!! But I have to admit that I never tried them personally. But you should be very happy with them !

Echo has a very good reputation. ;)

Back