Do you use the "N" word in your music?

Is it okay to use the "N" word in your music?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
fraserhutch said:
You see, the problem with this is that other swear words are NOT OK for some people and not others to say. You try explaining that to a child. If it's a bad word, it's a bad word, not that it's a bad word if non-blacks use it.

That's whjy I call bullshit on it. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who uses the word is propogating rascism in the same way I will not tolerate chink, spick, etc. That's just ignorance dressed up as hip, and I DON'T want my child exposed to THAT. Swear words we can talk about.

I wasn't per se comparing it to a curse word just for reference...lol Foul language is foul language. But I have to say this is an interesting thread, and I respect everyone's opinions.

I think its degrading as hell. But sometimes its just used so well in songs and comdey that I just accept that certain people say it.
I will never use it.

Just don't say it period.The word has been given too much power as it is.There is no place for it at all in any arena.There are too many words you can use so don't be limited.Its gotten so bad that other races use it and some actually think its ok.Lets bury it and teach our children that its wrong no matter who uses it and how.

Hmmm I'm at a crossroads here. I record men and women damn near everyday who use the N word in there lyrics. Doesn't particulary bother me till the white guy drops it in such a way that it can be taken as nothing else but a racial slur. Let me call a white guy a cracker or honky and lets see how far I get before I get my ass whipped.

I believe theres a differance between black people and ni**ers. Ni**ers are just as the dictionary calls them, ignorant son of a bitches. I see mexicans using the word more than black people now. I hear asians call each other Ni**ers. I've seen white people call each other ni**ers wearing baggy jeans swearing there gonna bust a cap in each others ass in the mall.

Point is every race has a few Ni**ers mixed in within them. Because IMO every race has some stupid ass people in it that will use the word and think it's cool.

Will

Acidrock, I'm sorry your children were exposed to that word just as a child being exposed to any foul language though it was bound to happen. I think you should ask them if they know what the word means, if not, explain the meaning of the word to them and why no one should use that word.

It's not so much that it's a foul word,rather that it was the people who it is supposed to be most offensive to were the ones using it that makes things more difficult.

I want to hear it from the people who use it why they think it's okay.
IMHO,if you use the word,you have no right to complain about others using it,regardless of skin color.Equality,means equality,the moment you attach strings to a situation,things are no longer equal.

Hey acid,

I think we are equal like i said I'd never call you a honky to your face.

But I've seen white people (not as much as blacks I know) do pretty much the same thing.

It seems when a black person says"because I'm black,I can use the word",what they're really doing is writing themselves an excuse for behaving poorly.

bigwillz24 said:
Hey acid,

But I've seen white people (not as much as blacks I know) do pretty much the same thing.

I don't think I was clear in this post.

I've seen white people call each other ni**er not honky.

bigwillz24 said:
Hey acid,

There are jerks of all colors,no denying that.

bigwillz24 said:
I don't think I was clear in this post.

I've seen white people call each other ni**er not honky.

Those would be w****rs. :rolleyes: I known a couple of black guys who were seriously into metal,they would be blonkeys. :D

acidrock said:
There are jerks of all colors,no denying that.

Yep hence my first post in this thread. Personally I think it's a fad that will go away once everyone gets there chance to call themselves a "N bomb". They will move on and find another derogatory word to call themselves.

"Acidrock, I'm sorry your children were exposed to that word just as a child being exposed to any foul language though it was bound to happen. I think you should ask them if they know what the word means, if not, explain the meaning of the word to them and why no one should use that word."

i CANT SAY THAT I MSORRY PER SE - BUT I UNDNERSTAND, A LITTLE, THE FRUSTRATION. BUT IN THE LONG RUN, THIS IS REALLY A TRIFLE, IN COMPARISON OT THE THINGS A CHILD WILL BE EXPOSED TO. IN THAT REGARD - NO OFFENSE, BUT GET OVER IT.

HOWEVER, RATHER THAN SIMPLY BEING UPSET AND FRUSTRATED THAT THEY WERE EXPOSED TO IT, JUST EXPLAIN TO THEM ABOUT THE HISTORICAL CONTEXT . . . THERE WILL BE OTHER "DOUBLE STANDARDS" THAT THEY WILL FACE, N U WILL HAVE TO HELP THEM ACCEPT THOSE TOO AND GET ON WITH THEIR LIFE

I GUESS THE THING THAT GETS ME THE MOST, IS OF ALL THE ISSUES UNDER THE SUN, WHY DO PEOPLE (AND A LOT OF TIMES, WHITE PEOPLE) GET SO BENT OUT OF SHAPE OVER THIS ONE WORD'S IRONIC AND PERPLEXING USE . . . THIS WORD'S PRESENCE IN THE BLACK COMMUNITY AND THE "UR NOT SUPPOSED TO SAY IT" THEORY HAS SO VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH WHETHER OR NOT RACE RELATIONS HAVE IMPROVED OR WHETHER OR NOT WE CAN GET ALONG . . . ETC.

Based on what a lot of you are saying, and I'm not making personal statements, people like Common, Tupac, aTCQ, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and various other artists who've helped out the community to a great degree and have represented positive messages in their work are ignorant and disregard the well-being of the race. I don't understand that sentiment. I dislike how some MCs will use it as a filler word but I believe that it can genuinely be utilized for friendship.

I am DISGUSTED when I see white kids who think they're "Gangster dudes" 'cause they listen to "hip hop" (I put that in quotations because I don't believe what they listen to being part of the true culture) and they refer to each other as "nigga." I honestly feel like knocking the fuck outta all of them.

Whether you say that this distinction is racist or not - there is a CLEAR difference when a white person is saying this.

Also, about the usage of "crackers" and so on - I've had that used against me by white folks before and I have but one response, look at US race relations history.

My two boom-baps,

Deen

There is a whole lot I can say..................
I am black and I have used it amongst my inner circle, not in public. Does that make it acceptable? No, not at all! I am as wrong as a white person using it. Although, it is used with a different mindset, it's can't be wrong for some and okay for others. With that being said, JCM900 you are not being fair calling it ebonics. Ebonics is just a term that was attatched to a dialogue they don't understand. Who is anyone to tell another group how to speak? Why do you call it "Lazy to annunciate? What is important is that they are communicating effectively. It makes me a threat because I can have a whole conversation in front of you and you don't have a clue as to what I am saying.:D It's not necessarily a Black and White issue, but more of a Street and Politically correct attitude.We are different species, so we act different. Why conform to a standard set by a group that is different than you. And the same people that say, why be different when we all are Americans? Well, they set the standard by classifying me a minority in my own country. A country that my parents parents parents help build with their blood, sweat, and tears. And yes, I did go fight for our Country.......But who am I?

Trumpspade said:
We are different species, so we act different.

classifying me a minority in my own country.

Just exactly WHAT species are you, I assume from your post, your not HUMAN.

Minority has nothing to do with skin color alone, It is based on the number of people of your color verses other colors.

JCM900 said:
Minority has nothing to do with skin color alone, It is based on the number of people of your color verses other colors.

Makes no sense.............

JCM900 said:
color verses other colors.

What are color verses? Hiphop lines for the seeing impaired?

It's VERSUS Einstein!

I'll give you a pass for your Ignorance!

Color verses - c'mon don't tell me you never heard of them!

There useful when we're getting crunk while tipsy 'cause that's the way my partners roll. :D

Trumpspade said:
Makes no sense.............

What are color verses? Hiphop lines for the seeing impaired?

It's VERSUS Einstein!

I'll give you a pass for your Ignorance!
Yeah it's not too cool when you point out spelling mistakes. Makes you look like a douche

watermelon said:
Yeah it's not too cool when you point out spelling mistakes. Makes you look like a douche

Someone can use sarcasim, belittling a group of people, and telling me I am not human, and all you care about is my correction of his shortcomings? And you call me a douche watermelon?

Let me move on..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back