Do not use Cakewalk for anything professional?

ChuckU wrote:

Food for thought: I did some recording at this studio in Pro-Tools a while back, and the stuff I'm doing now in Sonar sounds better. Why? Because Sonar is better than Pro-Tools? No. Because I'M better than I was two years ago.

Great post ChuckU. So very true. There is so much bull***t around digital music and home recording, its like a grey art form.

A great song is a great song, as long as the people know what they are doing who did it , there is no way you can tell the difference between recording software in the way of "oh, that is a cubase recording" or "that is a pro-logic recording".

Acidrock, you are very naughty boy, but I can't see you without my glasses:eek:

I wonder if there are a few mixing 'engineers' out there that sit
behind a pro tools system all day, that are actually subconsciously threatened by the prospect that some shmo with Sonar, a cheap 12 chanel analog mixer, a low end 24/96 card and huge balls, can actually create works that are equivalent if not better than what they can acheive. (I said 'some' pro engineers, the ones that lost touch with reality .. the reality that the home recording industry is making things that are high quality and easy to afford.)

Is it possible that all the expensive gear and years of 'shmoozing' with big artists has gave them tunel vision?

Could it be that they bash our 'cheap' equipment cause they have small balls?

Surely plugin quality and high end equipment play a huge role in getting 'that' sound, i'd be a fool to argue, but Sonar supports many directx plugin manufactueres that perform internal 32 bit and 64 bit calculations such as Ozone and more importantly, the Waves family of plugins.

Add a good equalizer that supports low Q, and sweeps, a multiband harmonic exciter and some stereo enhancment plugins .. there's no reason why Sonar users can't get the really high end sound except for perhaps the sound of tubes, then again that depends on the pre's and mics and not on the DAW.

C4 rules!

Hey baby, want to see my DAW?

MercyfullMusic said:
Someone told me the other day that a radio station would not play anything produced with Cakewalk because the quality is not that of something like Pro Tools.

My personal experience is that people who choose play songs on radios are mostly deaf concerning the quality of sound (i dont speak for quality of song which is topic itself)
whether your songs will be played in radio or not depend on something different...
Greetings Hugo

badgas said:
The radio station was probably speaking in reference to a recording I sent them.
Sorry.

Most the Disk jockeys I have met have only one ear and can`t hear a thing you say cause they are talking thru it instead of listening.

Any fucking thing sounds good to a DJ and a radio station if you pay 'em enough money. Big labels have the fat wallets and if they wanna promote some pot smoking goofy kid wacking off while he recites nursury rymes he calls 'rap', then that goofy kid will be caressing a grammy award with those same sticky hands of his because most teeny boppers will buy his garbage. (Teeny boppers are easily programable).

I don't think they give a shit what recording program one uses. And screw that bullshit about a good song. Anything begins to sound good no matter how crappy it is if they play it on every freaking radio station 300 times a day! :eek:

I am more selective when it comes to my music. I think most major labels know this and they don't cater to my age group. Young kids are what makes them money. Not quality music software or good music. Cakewalk is great! Fuck everything else. As long as you like it thats all that matters.

Just venting......:D

Re: Cakewalk

MercyfullMusic said:
He said that effects are a much higher quality in Pro Tools, etc.

Let's be clear here. If you are refering to the stock plugins that come with Sonar he may have a point. HOWEVER, a point has been missed. The quality of plugin you use is up to you. Keep in mind that Waves makes some amazing (and expensive) plugins for all platforms. Native (like sonar), Digial Performer and Protools. You will not convince me that a Waves Reverb is going to sound better in Protools than Sonar. TC Works also makes plug-ins for both native and protools. Also I believe Native Instruments has Protools capibility now. Between those three companies you have some of the best sounding plugins around. All of them run on Protools AND Sonar.

This side of the music business has always been plagued by the attitude of "you are only as good as your tools, and your tools are only REALLY good if they are expensive." Misguided eliteism, IMHO.

jack

Re: Re: Cakewalk

williamconifer said:

Let's be clear here. If you are refering to the stock plugins that come with Sonar he may have a point. HOWEVER, a point has been missed. The quality of plugin you use is up to you. Keep in mind that Waves makes some amazing (and expensive) plugins for all platforms. Native (like sonar), Digial Performer and Protools. You will not convince me that a Waves Reverb is going to sound better in Protools than Sonar. TC Works also makes plug-ins for both native and protools. Also I believe Native Instruments has Protools capibility now. Between those three companies you have some of the best sounding plugins around. All of them run on Protools AND Sonar.

This side of the music business has always been plagued by the attitude of "you are only as good as your tools, and your tools are only REALLY good if they are expensive." Misguided eliteism, IMHO.

jack
You hit it right on the head there my friend.

Back