do i really need an expensive guitar

Ahhhh, the tired old argument of whether it’s the guitar or amp that is more important to your sound.

Every major league band that tours the world will gladly use backline amps, but never backline guitars……..just sayin.
I happen to like my 300 dollar amp and never got a complaint? If I wanted really clean I would use my Fender. I bet they know what those back up amps are going to be before they start. It would be in my contract.

1st most important thing is the player. Find an instrument (s) you can bond with then put your soul into it.

What a piece of shit. But JJ makes it sing.
:D

His guitar is an old H162 which is one of the best models for our conversion process that turns them into amazing sounding guitars. His was only a piece of shit after he fucked it all up.

His was so bastardized and modified that it became something else entirely.

Ahhhh, the tired old argument of whether it’s the guitar or amp that is more important to your sound.

Every major league band that tours the world will gladly use backline amps, but never backline guitars……..just sayin.

I don't know if that's entirely true.

I remember seeing Greg Martin of the Ky Headhunters pull a stock Les Paul off the wall for a gig. He sounded just like with his '58.

The lead guitar in this was straight into the board with no FX or EQ, all added after, an Eastman, six times the price of the "Aston". As the Duke would say, "If it sounds good, it is good." They both sound great to me? I noticed the Aston showed up in the end of the video. The Aston is doing all the rhythm tracks and is the first to come in.

Attachments

• eastman2.webp
    eastman2.webp
    289.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I would say drop the big money on a vintage Fender strat or a vintage Gibson les paul.
Why?
Because that's the guitars I love and they're the ones that inspire me.
I still gig with my 1966 stratocaster.
Also, top of the line guitars hold there value better than cheapos

Last edited:
Reactions: RFR
I
I happen to like my 300 dollar amp and never got a complaint? If I wanted really clean I would use my Fender. I bet they know what those back up amps are going to be before they start. It would be in my contract.
I think my best amp cost $100. It’s an early 60’s Ampeg Gemini 1. It has the best reverb and tremolo of any amp ever made!

I
I think my best amp cost $100. It’s an early 60’s Ampeg Gemini 1. It has the best reverb and tremolo of any amp ever made!
I just sold a Gemini II a couple of months ago. Sold a rever rocket a couple of years back. I have an Ampeg Echo Twin that needs lots of work. I don't know if I will ever get around to it. It needs one output transformer, tubes and two can filter caps to start. That is almost 300 there. It is a stereo amp. I think the best amp I ever had was an Ampeg VT22. A bit heavy. 405 dollars used, bought on 47th street in Manhatan, I think I bought it at Mannys. I went up and down the block and got a price war on one until I got one down to the 405. It was 1976. Thinking back, that was a chunk of change for a used amp. A couple of years later I bought a new Gibson Lab L5 to replace it. That lasted about two weeks lol. Sounded good in the store, didn't hold up under fire.

Last edited:
I just sold a Gemini II a couple of months ago. Sold a rever rocket a couple of years back. I have an Ampeg Echo Twin that needs lots of work. I don't know if I will ever get around to it. It needs one output transformer, tubes and two can filter caps to start. That is almost 300 there. It is a stereo amp. I think the best amp I ever had was an Ampeg VT22. A bit heavy. 405 dollars used, bought on 47th street in Manhatan, I think I bought it at Mannys. I went up and down the block and got a price war on one until I got one down to the 405. It was 1976. Thinking back, that was a chunk of change for a used amp. A couple of years later I bought a new Gibson Lab L5 to replace it. That lasted about two weeks lol. Sounded good in the store, didn't hold up under fire.
The Gemini 2 isn’t nearly a good of an amp as the 1. I’ve owned one of those too. I sold the VT22 in my first job in a music store in 1976-77. They are an undeniable piece of gear, but way too heavy.

The Gemini 2 isn’t nearly a good of an amp as the 1. I’ve owned one of those too. I sold the VT22 in my first job in a music store in 1976-77. They are an undeniable piece of gear, but way too heavy.
I could get that VT22 going and one could swear there was a Harley revving it up in the room. I had a 335 and just let her resonate and start bending the strings, awesome. Put the middle rocker switch in the middle and crank the mid range, instant Johnny Winter. Yes too heavy. I was using that for lead and a pro reverb for rhythm lol and lugging them around with a splitter..

I think I have 13 guitars now. Three are acoustics, and I love them all.
As for buying an "expensive guitar", I bought a Taylor 324CE less than a month ago. That is the most expensive guitar I have.
I have yet to plug it in to an amp. I have yet to record with it. But it sits in my living room and I play it daily. Sounds great, but more than that, it fits my hands, the action is superb, and it sound amazing.
I also have an Epiphone AJ100 that I got for 50$ in an antique store. It also sound great, fits my hands, great action, but an entirely different sound.
Is the 2000$ Taylor any better than the 50$ Epiphone? Not in my mind. Like kids, I love them both equally.

Back