do i really need an expensive guitar

GregoNRN

Hi guys
I can hear that an expensive custom guitar sounds much better than a mid-budget one. But isn't it true that in a mix with drums, bass, keyboards it will still be audible since certain frequencies have to be cut anyway? Is it really worth buying expensive guitars because you can hear the differences in the mix?

Is it really worth buying expensive guitars because you can hear the differences in the mix?
Well, if you can hear a definite difference in the mix and it is a pleasing difference to your liking, then why not ?
Go for it.
Me, I'm a peasant. A guitar is a guitar. As long as it does what I want it to do, cost doesn't come into it......unless you're talking 5 figures and more ! :-)

You need an instrument that you like the sound of, and is the most appropriate to how you play. Expensive doesn't mean the best. My American Jazz bass is the most expensive one I have, but I prefer playing and recording a cheaper one.

Thank you for quick responds.
I'll put the question differently. I have an LTD ec-1000 and it sounds cool. However, the Japanese ESP with the same pickups plays better (I hear more nuances when playing solo). My question is, if I add drums, bass and a keyboard, will I still hear those nuances or will it get lost in the mix?

You are gonna have to find a way to leave room in the mix for the “nuances” that you want to be heard no matter what instrument, or sound source for that matter, you are recording.

Hi guys
I can hear that an expensive custom guitar sounds much better than a mid-budget one. But isn't it true that in a mix with drums, bass, keyboards it will still be audible since certain frequencies have to be cut anyway? Is it really worth buying expensive guitars because you can hear the differences in the mix?
You have the wrong metric. It’s not as much about price point as it is the sound. As a life long professional luthier building high end acoustic guitars I can tell you price point has very little to do with how a guitar sounds on a record. In fact the last two decades I have moved away from building high end acoustic guitars and spent most my energy rebuilding inexpensive department store guitars into world class sounding acoustic guitars that musicians can afford. My rebuilt guitars live in some of the most prolific studios in the country turning out many of the biggest Grammy nominated albums.

Also, what sound does your record need?

Now, after saying this I will tell you that a good all mahogany or a spruce top over mahogany OM size guitar will hit the sweet spot for all your recording needs. The OM size rebuilds we do are some of the best recording guitars at any price point, and most of these are well under $2k.

Just going out and buying a new guitar is probably not your best approach. I would suggest going to a shop with a good selection of both new and used guitars and trying them out against each other. Play the same piece on two guitars side by side to make a direct comparison. Record these clips with your phone then after you get home listen to the recordings and the best guitar should jump out to you.

The vintage Martin in this clip sold for around $6k, The H162 remanufactured guitars sell for $1700, with a new case and warranty. We have several of these H162 OM guitars available with a new hard case a new guitar warranty.

Here is a video that shows our remanufacturing process with before and after clips. The guitar in this video cost less than $20 when it was new and you can find them now for under $100. We charge $1300 for rebuilding your guitar. (only certain models are suitable)

Last edited:
Thank you for quick responds.
I'll put the question differently. I have an LTD ec-1000 and it sounds cool. However, the Japanese ESP with the same pickups plays better (I hear more nuances when playing solo). My question is, if I add drums, bass and a keyboard, will I still hear those nuances or will it get lost in the mix?
The types of guitars you mentioned are the type of guitar that are typically associated with and used for higher gain applications - or types of music. IMO, you're less likely to hear nuances and distinct tonal differences with a high(er) gain type of sound and the types of music and mixes that have that type of guitar sound.

The most important thing for me first and foremost - regardless of how a guitar sounds in a mix - is how it plays, how it feels in my hands.

There is no question about it that the right (for you) inexpensive guitar can get the job done as well as a high end instrument. It just depends on what you're trying to do and how you go about it.

I have nicer, more expensive guitars - but recorded my last tune with a $900 Charvel - because it fit what I was going after. I tried several - and it was the one that felt right for that track. And sometimes one guitar cuts through and sounds better for the rhythm gtrs - but on that same track - a different guitar works for the lead parts.

The thing to also remember is that these nuances may well be audible to the player, but even other great players may not hear them. I worked with a guitarist who had had a custom acoustic built. He played it when built, but not finished. He told the guy to stop. It was perfect. Do not now add the colour, the sealers and polishing. He wasnt willing to lose the ‘nuances’. Im not certain i could hear what he heard, once the room and other players were added.

I just listened to dogooder's track and it occured to me that I've been collecting guitars and basses for years and I would have to guess which ones are on the older tracks. I hear them, but have no idea which they are. Worse - I have a line 6 guitar with all the reproductions of other guitars built in, and I really cannot tell if it's a Fender, or the Line 6 set to tele I'm hearing. Maybe - if I had a track with a totally isolated clean guitar I'd guess - but how many times do we record anything with NO EQ, NO Reverb or NO effects?

Hi guys
If you can hear "that an expensive custom guitar sounds much better than a mid-budget one" then you are listening with your eyes and preconceived notions. I've heard expensive guitars that sounded and played pretty darn lousy, and I've got a couple of guitars that were bought for a few hundred bucks that sound excellent. This is especially true for electric guitars, where pickups have so much of an effect on the sound.

What I have found is that some more expensive guitars, have better playability, especially guitars that are built by very good luthiers who take time to do outstanding setups with things like fretwork. On the other hand, I've picked up some expensive guitars that had mediocre setups.

This doesn't take approach the topic of what sounds "better", which is a totally subjective. What you like might be different from what I like.

I just listened to dogooder's track and it occured to me that I've been collecting guitars and basses for years and I would have to guess which ones are on the older tracks. I hear them, but have no idea which they are. Worse - I have a line 6 guitar with all the reproductions of other guitars built in, and I really cannot tell if it's a Fender, or the Line 6 set to tele I'm hearing. Maybe - if I had a track with a totally isolated clean guitar I'd guess - but how many times do we record anything with NO EQ, NO Reverb or NO effects?
One of the reasons I know which guitar it was is because it is the only time I played through a Leslie. The rhythm guitar is being played through a Leslie and the lead guitar through a Peavey Classic 30 with a vox wah and a chandler 911 overdrive pedal. It was also the guitar I used mostly during those sessions and I still have and use all of the pedals. I don't use distortion that much so there were lots of times I just went straight into the board with no FX or EQ and applied everything afterwords.

Last edited:
One of the reasons I know which guitar it was is because it is the only time I played through a Leslie. The rhythm guitar is being played through a Leslie and the lead guitar through a Peavey Classic 30 with a vox wah and a chandler 911 overdrive pedal. It was also the guitar I used mostly during those sessions and I still have and use all of the pedals. I don't use distortion that much so there were lots of times I just went straight into the board with no FX or EQ and applied everything afterwords.
A Leslie makes a fart sound good…..😊

Hi guys
I seriously doubt anyone can hear the differences of price in a mix - I just play what suits me - regardless of the price - I’ve found that different guitars change how I play but don’t necessarily improve a mix - just make it slightly different - I say if you want to spend the money (for whatever reason) and you have the budget - buy whatever you want.

This was done with a 257 dollar guitar. You be the judge. I had much more expensive guitars to choose from.

That isn’t a fair test - the guitars are all effected - so you can’t hear the orginal tone of the guitar - and a guitars sound is more dependent on the amplifier than the guitar.

That isn’t a fair test - the guitars are all effected - so you can’t hear the orginal tone of the guitar - and a guitars sound is more dependent on the amplifier than the guitar.
Your discussing tools, what it really boils down to is who is using them. You are correct but that was my go to guitar for quite a few years on stage and in the studio. I don't use much FX often. Mostly reverb and I rarely use any distortion. I have owned many guitars and I played that one because it sounded good clean. Of course that is my subjective opinion. When I hit the distortion pedal it's like where did my guitar go for me. Sometimes you have to use it. The lead is done through a 300 dollar amp.

Your discussing tools, what it really boils down to is who is using them. You are correct but that was my go to guitar for quite a few years on stage and in the studio. I don't use much FX often. Mostly reverb and I rarely use any distortion. I have owned many guitars and I played that one because it sounded good clean. Of course that is my subjective opinion. When I hit the distortion pedal it's like where did my guitar go for me. Sometimes you have to use it. The lead is done through a 300 dollar amp.
Ahhhh, the tired old argument of whether it’s the guitar or amp that is more important to your sound.

Every major league band that tours the world will gladly use backline amps, but never backline guitars……..just sayin.

Back