Do I need to upgrade from my sound card?

pworam

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I'm debating switching to an audio interface, which I'm sure most here will recommend. I was wondering what benefits I can expect from the switch. Other than being a bit flakey with regards to drivers, when it works, I actually get some decent sounds going direct from my amp. Granted, it if I plug directly into it, there are massive latency issues. Aside from that, will there be a noticable improvement in sound quality, or advantages in the general recording process? Thanks, Pete

I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card. I'm debating switching to an audio interface, which I'm sure most here will recommend. I was wondering what benefits I can expect from the switch. Other than being a bit flakey with regards to drivers, when it works, I actually get some decent sounds going direct from my amp. Granted, it if I plug directly into it, there are massive latency issues. Aside from that, will there be a noticable improvement in sound quality, or advantages in the general recording process? Thanks, Pete

Pete, if you can describe your objectives it would be very useful. There is a full gamut here of various questions from pod casts to full up music recording and production. Then folks here can guide you better and more accurately.

I want to put together some high quality demos of my music (high quality meaning I want decent results on a budget, realizing that quality has as much to do with the quality of the song, the mix and mastering as it does with the recording gear). I typically create backing parts with MIDI instruments by mouse (drums, piano, keys etc..), then track live parts individually (primarily guitar, sometimes bass and vocals).

I want to put together some high quality demos of my music (high quality meaning I want decent results on a budget, realizing that quality has as much to do with the quality of the song, the mix and mastering as it does with the recording gear). I typically create backing parts with MIDI instruments by mouse (drums, piano, keys etc..), then track live parts individually (primarily guitar, sometimes bass and vocals).

Then yes, and interface would be to your advantage and decent mics. There are pretty good ones to choose from, I have a Presonus, USB, but I switched to PCI card as I couldn't get the latency resolved (I record wet and I like to hear the effects). Others don't seem to complain about that problem as much. Tascam has some pretty good ones, and Zoom seems to pop up a lot.

What software do you use for mixing? You might want to think about that as well. What computer are you using and OS? That will help as well.

Let's give the thread sometime for people to comment, you will get a wealth of information. They won't "tell" you what to buy, but will guide you through the process. Keep you from spending money unnecessarily.

What software do you use for mixing? You might want to think about that as well. What computer are you using and OS? That will help as well.

Let's give the thread sometime for people to comment, you will get a wealth of information. They won't "tell" you what to buy, but will guide you through the process. Keep you from spending money unnecessarily.

I have a quad core Dell Studio running Win 7, 8GB RAM w/ a local 1TB raid array (using an external 250GB 7200rpm HD for project audio files). I've been using Sonar X2, which I must admit is very confusing, but the prochannel is very cool once you get the hang of it. I am not at all averse to switching DAW's at this point, as Sonar seems very clunky for constructing an audio project, but that could be more me than anything else.

This is the setup I've been eyeballing. Some of which might help you in your decision.
PreSonus | AudioBox 1818VSL
https://www.presonus.com/products/FaderPort
with Studio One Pro as my DAW.
Seems pretty intuitive and the price isn't bad.

worth a look. :)

Thanks, Dogbreath. I haven't ruled Presonus out, but that looks like a bit of overkill for me, especially the fader port. I don't really have an issue using the mouse for write edits. I look to see how the writes for all of the tracks relate to one another visually, and edit by mouse accordingly. Also, the 1818 has a lot of inputs that I wouldn't need, as I'm not tracking a band or anything.

What's the maximum number of simultaneous inputs you would like to record separately at the same time? How many microphones (this determines how many preamps are needed)? What's your budget? What other gear are you going to need (monitors, mics, sound treatment, etc)?

What's the maximum number of simultaneous inputs you would like to record separately at the same time? How many microphones (this determines how many preamps are needed)? What's your budget? What other gear are you going to need (monitors, mics, sound treatment, etc)?

This will definitely not be any type of live setup. Inputs really aren't that big of deal. I typically record as a one man operation, running my amp in stereo with TRS connections. I was planning on using S/PDIF do go from my amp to any new interface, so I would assume that leave the other inputs open. I suppose I could live with 2 inputs, but would certainly not be averse to more provided the price is right. I would figure maybe 2 mic pres (mics aren't an issue, I'll just pick from my band inventory) for tracking vocal parts separately. I haven't decided if I need studio monitors just yet. My computer speakers certainly ain't reference quality, but they seem to be doing the trick. If I could get away with them and a pair of head phones, I'd probably be fine. In terms of the budget, I'm looking for a setup in the $200 to $400 range, but could go as high as $500 if it's totally worth it.

These are all 2 channel, USB. Make sure they have their own drivers and not ASIO4ALL.

Presonus works well. If you do go with Presonus the 22VSL (My understanding is they improved the DSP and the latency is lower than the 2x2 USB) 199, Tascam US-144MKII, M-Audio MobilePre.

If you are going to hook up a MIDI controller (keyboard, sound module) You will want MIDI in/out. But if you are going to manually put in MIDI, or use MIDI files, then you don't need to worry about MIDI.

That should give you an idea of what's out there.

For any other people considering the same question as the original post, let's try to sum up the reasons NOT to use an Audigy (or any other) standard sound card for serious recording:

-The Audigy is optimised for playback of videos and games. The input for recording is extremely basic.

-The input is a 1/8th inch jack and unbalanced, precluding the use of industry standard mics which are all XLR.

-The input does not include phantom power which precludes the use of condenser mics without an external power supply or mixer.

-The microphone pre amp is very basic and noisy. The last time I measure an Audigy, it had a signal to noise of around -62dB. Even a basic USB interface can manage around -85dB. This becomes important with multitracking because the noise adds up.

-Creative Sound cards run natively only at a 48 kHz sample rate and do an internal conversion if you specify anything else.

-Generally, Creative cards run with generic MME drivers rather than ASIO, causing higher than desirable latency.

-You're limited to 2 channel (stereo) recording which may or may not be an issue.

...so, basically, yeah you need an external interface.

Hi Pworam.
Well, contrary to what a fellow contributor said I AM going to tell you which audio interface to get!

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. ~£190.

This sports 2 mic/line/instrument inputs, two more balanced line inputs (4 tracks) 4 balanced line outputs, MIDI and S/PDIF. The bundled software is a lite Cubase 6* plus Kontakt player and about 3G of downloadable samples. The latency is on a par with my M-Audio 2496 PCI card, i.e. blinding! (oh, and Guitar Rig as well I think)

I am confident that you will not find a better specified AI at anything like the price. (no Bobbs, I am NOT on commish!).

*Cubase is the dog' whatsits for MIDI. I too have Sonar (X1 ess') and I too find it ***t to use. Mind you I don't use Cubase that much since I am not the musician here. My goto DAW is Samplitude SE8. I couild JEEEUST afford Sam ProX but really cannot justify the cost. Do check out Samplitude Silver and of course Reaper but you'll be right with Cubase.

Are you UK based perchance?
Dave.

For any other people considering the same question as the original post, let's try to sum up the reasons NOT to use an Audigy (or any other) standard sound card for serious recording:

-The Audigy is optimised for playback of videos and games. The input for recording is extremely basic.

-The input is a 1/8th inch jack and unbalanced, precluding the use of industry standard mics which are all XLR.

-The input does not include phantom power which precludes the use of condenser mics without an external power supply or mixer.

-The microphone pre amp is very basic and noisy. The last time I measure an Audigy, it had a signal to noise of around -62dB. Even a basic USB interface can manage around -85dB. This becomes important with multitracking because the noise adds up.

-Creative Sound cards run natively only at a 48 kHz sample rate and do an internal conversion if you specify anything else.

-Generally, Creative cards run with generic MME drivers rather than ASIO, causing higher than desirable latency.

-You're limited to 2 channel (stereo) recording which may or may not be an issue.

...so, basically, yeah you need an external interface.

Thanks for spelling that out. Is it worth leaving the card plugged in form normal listening as opposed to using onboard audio?

Hi Pworam.
Well, contrary to what a fellow contributor said I AM going to tell you which audio interface to get!

Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. ~£190.

This sports 2 mic/line/instrument inputs, two more balanced line inputs (4 tracks) 4 balanced line outputs, MIDI and S/PDIF. The bundled software is a lite Cubase 6* plus Kontakt player and about 3G of downloadable samples. The latency is on a par with my M-Audio 2496 PCI card, i.e. blinding! (oh, and Guitar Rig as well I think)

I am confident that you will not find a better specified AI at anything like the price. (no Bobbs, I am NOT on commish!).

*Cubase is the dog' whatsits for MIDI. I too have Sonar (X1 ess') and I too find it ***t to use. Mind you I don't use Cubase that much since I am not the musician here. My goto DAW is Samplitude SE8. I couild JEEEUST afford Sam ProX but really cannot justify the cost. Do check out Samplitude Silver and of course Reaper but you'll be right with Cubase.

Are you UK based perchance?
Dave.

The NI Komplete Audio 6 is actually at the top my short list.

Thanks for spelling that out. Is it worth leaving the card plugged in form normal listening as opposed to using onboard audio?

It won't make a huge difference for normal listening to MP3s and watching Youtube videos--the biggest difference is on the recording side.

However, leaving the external card as your default device can save a lot of re-patching and re-configuring so it's often more convenient.

I just pulled the trigger on the NI Komplete Audio 6. I should have it by Saturday. Hopefully, I can get it up and running without any hitches. I'm actually kind of looking forward to checking out the bundled Cubase 6 LE. Thanks for all the help guys. Pete

I use the Akai EIEe pro as my interface, it has midi in out, 24bit and even a usb hub and the cost is only around a couple of hundred.

Yes, I was looking at that 2 years ago but I am glad I went for the KA6 now, see....

Forum - Main Forums : PC Music

Dave.

I looked at that but found a lot of negative replies:

This unit might be decent for a recording setup, but as a general use soundcard, it is absolutely abysmal. Clicks, pops, distortion. It's absolutely infuriating. What's worse, Native Instruments seems to have nothing to say about it -- believe me, I've jumped through their troubleshooting hoops, to no avail.

and other about reliability, which is odd because I haven't heard of stuff like that before with Native Instruments

I looked at that but found a lot of negative replies:

This unit might be decent for a recording setup, but as a general use soundcard, it is absolutely abysmal. Clicks, pops, distortion. It's absolutely infuriating. What's worse, Native Instruments seems to have nothing to say about it -- believe me, I've jumped through their troubleshooting hoops, to no avail.

and other about reliability, which is odd because I haven't heard of stuff like that before with Native Instruments

You will find negative responses with any AI/PC combination if you look for them. Peeps tend NOT to write to forums when they are happy.

All I can tell you is that my KA6 worked bish-bosh out of the box with this old PCWorld P4 clunker (Ei-sys 3.0G 2G ram, XP Home).
Perfectly with an HP AMD 2.7G dual core, 8G ram W7/64
ditto.................HP i3 laptop 4G " "
Toshy Satellite not sure, works lappy 3G Vista (FCS!)
Asus MOBO'ED home home build amd 2 core 3G 4G rm XP Pro.

The box has been checked out by several notables at Sound on Sound forums.

I am presently loaning my KA6 out to a guy who want to see if it will work with Linux, we already know it plays back fine with Ubunto...I shall report back as and when.

I have had about 5 different usb AIs in the last 6 years. NEVER have I had one that installed so easily and even when I don't connect it to a PC for some weeks, no drama when I do, it just fekkin' works!

Dave.

Back