this is what I have right now:

antec Sonat

Asus K8N-E Delux

athlon 64 3400+

ATI Radeon 9600 pro

1 gig of ram

XP SP2

Samsung 19" LCD

I am recording a project right now, so far I have about 9 audio tracks, 2 of them are in stereo. drums and keys.
I have some effects on the drums and bass.
If I want to had some effects on the guitars (guitar rig as a pluggin) my file will stop playing, or play very very slowly.

I use audition 2.0 to record.

Exept recording with printed effects is there any way I can save some processing or do I need a new computer?
More ram maybe?

Also this computer ir for audio recording only. So I have nothing install on it. It's really clean. I closed all the sevices I don't need. I use the win2000 interface to save some ram, no wall paper, no screen saver etc...

Thank you

i think you should be ok. i'd get a separate HD though, even though yours is clean and all.

to save on processing power, put your effects/plugs/whatever, and then just bounce the track, or bus it. keep the original wav in case you change your mind, but then remove that track.

in other words, do it one thing at a time, when your happy with that one part (usually never though...) bus it and record to a new track and remove the old one.

thats the way i do it to conserve on CPU usage.

wow that was fast!
I already have 2 hord drive.
1- 160 gig sata (windows)
2- 160 gig ide

My sound card is an M-audio 24/96

could be buffer size maybe? not really sure. maybe something with windows. look for a hardware conflict maybe? im not good with windows audio problems.

What drive do you have all your audio files on? If its the SATA drive that may be your problem. Not sure tho. I have an ASUS mobo, and was using SATA until I got an M-Audio card. The built in sil SATA chipset basically caused massive problems with audio recording and playback with my Delta 44. In the end I got an IDE drive and now its running sweet.

It's more than likely not this, I don't have exactly the same motherboard, mines the A7N8X-E, but check to see if you havean onboard sil 3112 chipset for SATA. If you do, its going to cause problems with your M-Audio card. This problem had me stumped for 2 weeks until I happened upon some info that told me that almost everyone who had the same mobo as me, an M-Audio card, and using SATA, had the same problem. The sil 3112 chipset is basically the bane of M-Audio users.

Like I say, this might not be it, but its worth checking...

Make sure you are recording in ASIO mode and not MME or DX as I have noticed that MME and DX mode use much more CPU and memory and have much more letency....

:)

Yvon said:
this is what I have right now:

antec Sonat

Asus K8N-E Delux

athlon 64 3400+

ATI Radeon 9600 pro

1 gig of ram

XP SP2

Samsung 19" LCD

Hey!!! that's heaps better than my PC!! and I record/Playback 16+ channels!!

No. We got people recording damn decent sounds with Celerons and lower.

Of course, 'need' is subjective.

You may have your buffer settings too low. I have a very similar system and I will usually run 128 samples during recording and then move up to 1024 samples during mixing when latency is not so important. I also hold off on adding effects like reverb until I am done recording so that the effects can benefit from the higher buffer setting during mixdown. These habits are holdovers from when I recorded on an 800mhz machine with 384 MB RAM, and I haven't even checked to see if I still need to do things this way, because it works well. There is really no reason to use effects until mix anyway, unless you have a vocalist who NEEDS reverb on their vocal or they don't feel loved. Doing things in this way has kept me problem free for a long time, both on my PC and my Mac.

PC
Windows XP Pro
Pro Tools M-Powered 7.1
Ableton Live 5.2
Reason 3
AMD 64 3000+
1 GB RAM
1x120 GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
1x300 GB 7200 RPM IDE HDD
M-Audio Audiophile 2496

iBook G4
Logic Express
Garage Band 3
Ableton Live 5.2
Reason 3
1.2 GHZ PPC Proccessor
1.25 GB RAM
1x LaCie External FW HDD 160 GB (2 Partitions, 1 system, 1 audio)
M-Audio Omnistudio USB

Back