DMT-8VL mixing and archiving question

Heymate

What Audio Interface do most users use to mixdown to a coputer. I use RecordPad to make my MP3 files but need to upgrade from my cheapy Souncard...just started to notice it;s flaws!
What method of archiving the premixed tracks do people use. When I bought my unit,,years ago it mentioned a DAT machine. I was curious as to what other uses use. BTW I really like the DMT, works great for me..until I need to make an MP3..then I run into trouble:guitar:

Digital Audio Tape is quite an old system that has been superceded by CD and DVD. The optical output of the DMT-8VL can be used to input to some amplifiers and recorders.
Your best bet is to either get a good A to D converter or to look for an optical to digital converter. I have found a number of USB to Optical converters but, as yet, not Optical (TOSLINK) to USB.
Newer Fostex (MR16 in my case) also have a TOSLINK output. (I use mine to drive monitor speakers) and a USB output to transfer the WAV files created in the Fostex MR16 into my PC. If you want to feed the TOSLINK signal into speakers, EDIROL monitor active speakers have a TOSLINK input.
Hope you can find a TOSLINK to USB box or cable.

Thanks Terlyn, My first task is to improve my computer performance so I am considering the Behringer FCA202 Audio Interface instead of my onboard Soundcard....do you think that is a good idea? I am going to pursue the options for archiving my 8 tracks but am a bit overwhelmed with the options. Anyway I really appreciate your help and I will research this more myself.......Thanks again for reading this!!

The FCA202 looks good. The A/D conversion is better than is required for a CD. If you have got Firewire on your PC then it looks a good buy.
The TOSLINK out put is really designed for recorders with that input. My old Denon mini-disk recorder has it as an input but, as my recording base is CD, I use the burner on the MR16.

It may also be worth scouting around for a MR8 or a MR16, they both have the USB connector and the software WavManager is available as a free download on the Fostex International site. WavManager interfaces with the MR and you can download individual tracks into your PC.
The MRs can turn your final mix of tracks into a WAV file for direct download to a PC or CD burner. Just a thought.

Back