DMP3 vs. ART Tube MP

both are great preamps for the $$$$......the DMP3 is superclean, straight in/straight out type, while the Art may put some character/warmth on a track.....

id hardly think the Art is unusable, in the right hands.....

check out anything Ed (sonusman) has done....he uses it extensively and his stuff is great.......

id get both :)

Ed was in that lucky 5% to get one that they forgot to add the buzz effect to, and by the way he only uses his as a bass direct in anyhow. Im just waiting for him to drop the thing.

And for the record I think he uses the dual mp in the rack without the wall wart. In my opinion, my ART levelar was even a better direct in than my tube MP. Shit my BLUETUBE was a better direct in and my vtb-1 is better still.

I must also be in that lucky 5%, because mine is pretty much buzz-free as well. Nice little box, expecially nice as a bass di.

That said, I'd still track with the dmp3. :D

what is better?
i know i can get the DMP3 for about US$180...
what else is in that range that is better? i can always look right!

The studio Projects pre albeit its just one channel gives you the option of getting both sounds for $175us. the best at that pricepoint. The bluetube is a significant step up from the ART with 2 channels for $150us.

BlueTube is from PreSonus... as is the VXP, the channelstrip that Blue Bear uses... should be around $600ish...

I have done some of my best work using the ART Dual MP (rackmount one) on almost everything. It is a great sounding preamp for it's price.

By that way, I used it on almost EVERYTHING in some of my best work, NOT just a bass DI.

After having used class A's at the studio for a couple years now, me and the owner find ourselves starting to go back to the ART Pro MP more and more and more these days. It is just a good sounding preamp.

I have heard about some of the newer units having some QC problems. That is what warrantee's are for, and if it isn't clean and "buzz free" (what ever you mean by that) then take it back and get one that doesn't. That is certainly NOT part of the circuit design of that preamp.

I am sure the DMP3 is okay enough of a preamp. But, I am sure it isn't any better than the Oram's, Drawmers, Neve's, Focusrite Red's, etc....that I use, and the ART stacks up pretty well with those class A's micing the same source. Yes, I prefer the class A's on some things, but if the ART was the only pre I had, I wouldn't bitch about that at all. In fact, it would STILL be the one preamp I would take if I could only have one. For me, it just delivers the right kind of sound I need in most situations. May be different for others.

Ed

Aside from the power supply, I haven't heard any difference. I have used the single units several times (I don't own one, but many clients have...so I use them....:)) and have never had a problem with one.

Ed

sounds good Mike. love to hear some acoustic keys.

Late November/December is just about the time for me to ask for a holiday gift preamp. Maybe the MPA is it.

I definitely want to go rackmount but don't want to ask fer too much. cool input. It's funny. I almost didn't visit this thread thinking it would be another slam ART for noise things but it turned out to be very informative. thanks guys.

miles

NO, that is not the unit I speak of. That is the PRO MPA. We have one of those at the studio I work at. At home, and in my old studio, I have the Dual MP. The regular ol' MP is the same as the Dual MP, except that it uses an external power supply.

So, ART has:

MP - one channel, usually about $100 or less, external power supply

Dual MP - two channel rackmount, usually around $230, internal power supply

Pro MPA - two channel rackmount with more features such as high pass filter, enhanced metering, usually around $550, internal power supply

If any of you guys have heard the stuff I recorded from The Heavy Brothers, Porterhouse, Love Lode, you heard a combination of the MP and Dual MP. None of those used the Pro MP.

I like the enhanced features of the Pro MP. The high end on that unit seems to be just a "tad" better, but I will use my ol' Dual MP without a worry. If you can afford the Pro MP, then get it. The only feature on it that I miss on the Dual MP is the High Pass Filter. I usually use my ears and watch the recording decks meters, so the enhanced metering on the Pro MP is just for show for me.

Ed

Back