DIY Metal Pop Screen Pics Inside

Les W

Well I did it mission accoplished. I would say It was hard work but It wasn't - I would say that it took a long time, but it didn't...:)

All I can say is that it works and looks great!

Back story: I cut the metal screen out a while back and felt I had something, but I could not find a gooseneck, filter mount and clip that would work for me. So I cried. Well i almost did...I went to guitar center and almost broke down and bought a pop filter. But Guitarfreak and others inspired me so much I couldn't cop out. Anyways I was on ebay looking for a shock mount and I saw a really cool universal one.

This other DIY guy Gary Young http://www.shockmount.com (i think) invented this cool universal shockmount. And mounted his own Pop filter on there. I bought the universal and drilled a hole in it like he said then attatched some gaurds from an old mic clip and viola!

Front view (excuse the mess):

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 514
The design allows too add or remove screens in case I need more blockage...

BTW The Shockmount guy will send you the shockmount for $27 it fit all sizes too

Here is a side view:

GOOD!!!

Good job Les W! It looks though, the screen might be finer. How does it work and sounds?

A couple more projects and you can go straight to DIY mic :cool:

Re: GOOD!!!

Marik said:
Good job Les W! It looks though, the screen might be finer. How does it work and sounds?

A couple more projects and you can go straight to DIY mic :cool:

It sounds great! Eliminates the plosives nicely. I can't wait to do a DIY Mic how would one get into that?? :)

Here is the side view...having problems posting it...

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 483
<It sounds great! Eliminates the plosives nicely.>

Great!

<I can't wait to do a DIY Mic how would one get into that?? >

Do you know how to solder, can you read schematics? In short, what's your background?

Marik said:
<It sounds great! Eliminates the plosives nicely.>

Great!

<I can't wait to do a DIY Mic how would one get into that?? >

Do you know how to solder, can you read schematics? In short, what's your background?

I actually got into circuit boards as a kid but never got to do what i wanted. I would be able to read schematics as well. Where could I get this info? I am blown away at the idea that someone can make a microphone 8)

So, I assume you know to solder. That's a good start!
I think, for the beginning you might start with something like assembling some kit--it will give you confidence and bring back your 'soldering skills'. What about Welleman pink noise generator for around $15? It would be a very helpfull tool for your further experiments.
Then you can move on and do something like Scott Dorsey mod, and then.... you probably won't need my advice :D

Remember, a good iron (preferably with changing tips and regulated temperature) is essential. Also, get a good quality silver solder, nice wire cutters, and long nose plyers.

I went down to my local hardware store today to pick up some metal mesh, and found some very felxable stuff (seemed too flexable to be metal, it must have just been very thin), with holes about 1mm square. I was dissapointed however when I gently blew through it, it made no difference. I thought this was just the stuff because it was so fine! Have I got the wrong material?
Cheers,
Dave

You'll have to try it in front of a mic to see if it works. You'll feel air coming through about any screen you blow through. What matters is if it diffuses a sharp burst of air.

guitar-dave said:
I went down to my local hardware store today to pick up some metal mesh, and found some very felxable stuff (seemed too flexable to be metal, it must have just been very thin), with holes about 1mm square. I was dissapointed however when I gently blew through it, it made no difference. I thought this was just the stuff because it was so fine! Have I got the wrong material?
Cheers,
Dave
Hey Guitar Dave. I made my own out of cheap nylons and one of those needle point hoops (stitching hoop -someone help me I don't know what he heck is called). It works great. I attached it to the mic boom by buying a cheap metal hanger, and twisting it. I'm not too happy with the hanger part, but it works. I've been using it for almost a month, eliminated my plosive issues.

Here is a picture of my pop screen!

It's not too pretty, but it works! Oh! It took a total of 10 minutes to make. Well, if I count the trip to the store to buy the stuff, then it took about 1/2 a day (I got everything at Walmart).

Attachments

• AFilter 001.jpg
    AFilter 001.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 151
  • AFilter 002.jpg
    AFilter 002.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 214
Dracon said:
Here is a picture of my pop screen!

It's not too pretty, but it works! Oh! It took a total of 10 minutes to make. Well, if I count the trip to the store to buy the stuff, then it took about 1/2 a day (I got everything at Walmart).

That looks way better than I imagined from the description. Nice work.

complexprocess said:
That looks way better than I imagined from the description. Nice work.
Wow! Thanks! It's nice to get a compliment.
It literally (is that the right spelling?) took no brain cells to make, and the dexterity of a three toe sloth. Not hard to do at all.

The actual harderst part was going to Wal-Mart on a weekend. The total cost was $0.99 for the nylons, $1.65 for the hoop, and $2.95 for six wire hangers. I want to make a better arm or something to hang the pop screen from, but I've become lazy and I don't want it to take too long.
I thought of making an arm out of wood, but then that would be heavy, and I'd have to design it so that's adjustable, and that would take time and it would be bulky.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment. :)

Les W said:
BTW The Shockmount guy will send you the shockmount for $27 it fit all sizes too

For another very cool shockmount option check out http://www.tensimount.com

$12.95 for the basic shockmount, and I think it looks a lot more pro than the shockmount guy, but that's just one guy's opinion. I use them all the time in my studio for microphones that didn't have their own already.

-lee-

Back