DIY 1176LN?? A Little Help Please

Somnium7

Noise Criminal
I am looking to build one of these clones...
http://www.geocities.com/m_natsume/1176.html

Has anybody here done this?

What I need help with is ordering the PCBs. Apparently, the only way to do this is to sign up with Prodigy Pro and order through the forum. However, I cannot get signed up there. Actually I have two accounts (one for each of my email addys) but they have not been activated by the forum admin after 6 months and a few emails to the admin. :confused:

So is there anybody here who's actually a member of that forum who can order the PCBs for me?

pm'ed you with a suggestion...
i had one of those and they are cool. i ended up moving it in order to get a purple action comp, which sounds very similar (as you might expect) imho. the one i had sounded really good and used nice components, but the build quality of the casing was a little shaky (as i mentioned when i posted it fs/ft).

Thanks for the suggestion!

That Purple unit sure looks colorful - both visually and aurally. :D
It would make a good match for my ghetto-purple DBX 162SL ;)

Speaking of casings just wait till you see the awesome one I will be putting a certain person's Neotek channels into :eek:
Really slick, and made with more steel than most modern cars :D

i'm sure he'll be psyched and i can't wait to check them out. he loves the visual aspects of gear as much as anything :)

Som,

I've been a member there since day one, PM me the usernames (and if possible, the dates you attempted to register) you have for Prodigy and I'll try and draw them to the Admin's attention .

ChrisO :cool:

I do know how to make my own PCB at home. My first job out of high school was working in a PCB fabrication house. I'm well aware of the chemicals used in the process and don't want any of them around the house. I prefer to use pre-made PCBs or design my own in ExpressPCB and have them make the final product.

Ausrock, whatever you did worked. I got a activation notice for one of my accounts today. Thank you very much bro!! :D

You're the man Chris - Thanks again!

Now if I could make up my mind about which kits to order - there's soooo many and my wallet is only soooo deep...

In the mean-time I'll just try to be helpful and answer questions about GB stuff as much as I am able to :)

I built a few of these and they are VERY good..take your time and you will have a world class unit. I see you have some electronic experience which will help alot...Toughest part for me is the case fabrication and labeling...both the electronically balanced input and transformer options sound good so that is up to you..good luck and let me know if there is any help I can give you..

Cheers,
Ray

I built a few of these and they are VERY good..take your time and you will have a world class unit. I see you have some electronic experience which will help alot...Toughest part for me is the case fabrication and labeling...both the electronically balanced input and transformer options sound good so that is up to you..good luck and let me know if there is any help I can give you..

Cheers,
Ray

Hi Ray.

I have not had the time to read the entire build thread for this but I guess I should before I begin. From looking at the schematics I find most of the circuitry is fairly easy to understand. I have very good troubleshooting skills and I am comfortable I'll be able to sort things out should I run into trouble.

At the same time it is very nice to know there is help if I get stumped though :o

Thanks!!!

That's the one thing thats keeping me from doing some builds. Trying to follow the threads and the process. Most of the stuff over there seems to be spread across multiple threads with redundancy. I don't want to ask for help, but I really don't have the extra time to read through, and make sense of the long threads. I'd love to do it, I just can't even figure out a good starting point in some instances. lol. :o

the 1176 is one of those devices that is SO detailed in its own sound, and you really want THAT sound... what you will end up with is more of a clone than a DIY... I just bought one of the reissues. You can't really go wrong.

the 1176 is one of those devices that is SO detailed in its own sound, and you really want THAT sound... what you will end up with is more of a clone than a DIY... I just bought one of the reissues. You can't really go wrong.

well even with that... from what i understand the purple mc77 is generally favored by those who have used the original because it uses a more faithful recreation of the input attenuator of the original 1176s than the ua reissues do.

The gyraf/mnats version is a revision g circuit..You can do the electronically balanced inout or a transformer. The G had a class ab output amp that required no special transformer. Mnats revision D is a class a output requiring a special transformer that also has a separate winding for feedback. If you couple the D version with a 600 ohm T attenuator on the input you would have one of the classic, early Bill Putnam designs. If you know what you are doing it is an easy build. I think 6-8 hours of my labor and 300$ in parts is justifiable for a world class fet comp ;)...You don't even have to read the threads unless you are troubleshooting. The build instructions from Mako are very easy to follow. Toughest part is the metal/case work and finding a pair of matched fets so your meter tracks decently and you can callibrate the unit...don't be afraid..dive in!

Ray

Since I haven't heard an actual 1176 I'll have to take your word that the clone will sound like the original. Surely it must sound better than plugin emulations I've heard...

The gyraf/mnats version is a revision g circuit..You can do the electronically balanced inout or a transformer. The G had a class ab output amp that required no special transformer. Mnats revision D is a class a output requiring a special transformer that also has a separate winding for feedback. If you couple the D version with a 600 ohm T attenuator on the input you would have one of the classic, early Bill Putnam designs. If you know what you are doing it is an easy build. I think 6-8 hours of my labor and 300$ in parts is justifiable for a world class fet comp ;)...You don't even have to read the threads unless you are troubleshooting. The build instructions from Mako are very easy to follow. Toughest part is the metal/case work and finding a pair of matched fets so your meter tracks decently and you can callibrate the unit...don't be afraid..dive in!

Ray

One of the things that initially gave me pause in deciding on whether to try this is the meter. It is getting so hard to find good analog meters these days that I usually avoid any project that requires them.

FET based devices can be a PITA too because of the variance between parts. Last year I attempted to build a clone of the VCO from an Oberheim Synthesizer Expander Module (SEM) and was troubled by the two FETs that buffer the integrator. I learned from that project to use sip sockets for FET devices :rolleyes:

I am gonna take the plunge on this project once I clear a few other large-scale projects off my plate. I have some channel strips I am racking for a friend and the overhaul of my console chewing up a great deal of my time now. Fortunately, I found a Hakko desoldering gun on sale so the console project is moving at light speed now compared to a few weeks ago :D
I like to be as educated about a project as I can get before I get started so I'm trying to collect all the info I can about the 1176 kit.

Overall I want to add one of each type of classic compressor to my rack. I have the JBL/Urei 7110 which I feel is a nice choice for a classic VCA unit. Next I'll add a FET based device and follow that up with an opto unit. I think this should cover the bases for nice classic compressor colors. And ultimately move me further into a scenario where I don't have to rely on plugins as much as I did.

well I've never heard an original but after I got my reissue I went "THAT's the SOUND" and recognize it on tons of records so I have to believe its close enough. :)

Back