distortion modelling?

DeathKnell

To keep it simple, what are the most comprehensive distortion modelling units around?

I'm basically looking for a real life equivalent of the Scream unit in Reason 3.0

Scream_front.jpg

i'm interested in the most varied sound destruction possibilities (for creating interesting FX not just replicating old favourites) for every manner of instrument/sound/sample.

as much as I like Scream, there's a certain digitalness about it.. (not to mention being restricted to only being able to use it in Reason)

edit: anything in the league of the Line 6 DM4 is what im looking to compare

Last edited:
Ford Van said:
You can't talk amp modeling unless you use these first! These are the BEST there are for what they are. NO regards to cpu usage at all! :)

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

I've personally never gotten any inspiration out of guitarsuite, but hey, they're free, can't bitch. :D ..........i do like using the univibe for some slight detuning on guitar tracks though. I keep the amp sims and distortions around just in case. You never know.

i like the tube mp and a shitty little bellari pre i have for messying things up sometimes.

here's a cool fuzz box that could be useful: http://media.zvex.com/fuzzfactory.mov

compressors are pretty fun for destroying drums and whole mixes.

there are ton's of free plugins out there to try out for this type of thing. usually the guitar orientated boxes will roll off the sources hi frequencies, which the scream doesn't really do so much. maybe check out the electro harmonix graphic fuzz. i've never tried the dm4 but you could probably tear up alot of clean tracks with one. :)

with sound destruction, every box or plug has a chance of working on something. i recommend trying everything you can get your hands on, be it hardware, software, techniques, mechanical devices, cheap, expensive, broken, dying........the possibilities are endless. a slowed down ceiling fan thru a gained out fuzz sounds pretty fucking gnarly, :D especially when used with a sampler and midi controller.

Ford Van said:
You can't talk amp modeling unless you use these first! These are the BEST there are for what they are. NO regards to cpu usage at all! :)

http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

I tried those plugins and I think they're pretty good, especially for being free.

The TubeScreamer plugin sounds nice. Good for adding some overdrive to a lead guitar track or whatever. Doesn't sound cheap/digital/shitty like most plugins do.

danny.guitar said:
I tried those plugins and I think they're pretty good, especially for being free.

The TubeScreamer plugin sounds nice. Good for adding some overdrive to a lead guitar track or whatever. Doesn't sound cheap/digital/shitty like most plugins do.

I have used many of the boxes/amps they emulate extensively. I have used other modeling amps, and I have to say that these are the best models I have heard so far.

DeathKnell said:
To keep it simple, what are the most comprehensive distortion modelling units around?

I'm basically looking for a real life equivalent of the Scream unit in Reason 3.0

Scream_front.jpg

i'm interested in the most varied sound destruction possibilities (for creating interesting FX not just replicating old favourites) for every manner of instrument/sound/sample.

as much as I like Scream, there's a certain digitalness about it.. (not to mention being restricted to only being able to use it in Reason)

edit: anything in the league of the Line 6 DM4 is what im looking to compare

The best box was the Korg fx411 Toneworks sold about 8 years ago. I love this box and they stopped making it. It had the most convincing distortion sounds. I did a whole album using it DI and nobody ever even questioned if it was amped or not.

I have found that most Guitar distortion effects plugins I have tried seemed "Slow" without any real Attack, I don"t know of any other way to descrobe it but it seems that the effects allways seemed to kick in a Milisecond after the note is played and would die out before the note ended.....

Mybe I"m useing the wrong Plugins......

I have just started working on Building several Types of Distortion pedals that I am thinking of putting into the same Box with a Blend Knob so I can blend several distortion types together.....I have finnished the first pedal and it sounds very good.....

Cheers

Minion said:
I have just started working on Building several Types of Distortion pedals that I am thinking of putting into the same Box with a Blend Knob so I can blend several distortion types together.....I have finnished the first pedal and it sounds very good.....

Sounds interesting. Do you have any examples of your pedal in action?

TravisinFlorida said:
Sounds interesting. Do you have any examples of your pedal in action?

Nope, It is still on the Bench...What I am building is basicly a Bunch of Different types of Distortion pedal all in the Same Box and be able to blend different ammounts of each pedal into the output signal....

I have only built the First Distortion Circuit but I still have several more to build before the whole unit is Finnished which will take me a while as I design etch my own PCB"s which can take up a bit of Time and I am still decideing on the circuits I will use but there will be at least one Compressor maybe 2....

Cheers

Minion said:
Nope, It is still on the Bench...What I am building is basicly a Bunch of Different types of Distortion pedal all in the Same Box and be able to blend different ammounts of each pedal into the output signal....

I have only built the First Distortion Circuit but I still have several more to build before the whole unit is Finnished which will take me a while as I design etch my own PCB"s which can take up a bit of Time and I am still decideing on the circuits I will use but there will be at least one Compressor maybe 2....

Cheers

I've always wanted an all in one box that sounds great. A overdrive, distortion, and fuzz. It's hard enough finding one of each much less an all in one box. The mixing thing sounds like a pretty novel idea.

Ford Van, I take back what I said. I really didn't give the guitarsuite stuff much of a chance..........I guess............or my ears were on backward. Any way, I've been fooling around with them all night and I'm pretty impressed, considering these are plugins. I got an almost marshall tone out of the twin, ds-1, and a little room reverb. The tube screamer sounds pretty good thru the twin too. Maybe the jcm will be good for lead.

Any way, just wanted to say I'm a complete dumbass. :D

Back