Disapointing Mix From Studio.......

fivesixonesk8er - what mics did you use on toms?

I used the Audix Fusion 4 Kit on the recording...... Used the F-10's on the Toms and the F-12 on the kick......

The toms also sounded "fat" because the Kit I was using was a C&C Custom kit, Kick is 24", Toms are 13",16", and 18".

Over all I preferred the first mix....the second sounded much too brittle and grainy IMO....the first was smoother ....maybe too smooth?

I was really surprised to see only one post touching on the vocals ?? ... that is what bothered me the most about both mixes....Maybe it's just a matter of taste?

I'm very curious as to how the guitars were recorded as well as mixed and mastered ....do tell :)

Rick

I'm very curious as to how the guitars were recorded as well as mixed and mastered ....do tell :)

Its a little trick I learned from a friend of mine.

First off, the Amp was a Mesa Dual Rectifier through the matching Mesa 4x12 cab.

I then get the amp sounding good to me, then I mic it up with a 57.

I then put on headphones, and listen to the mic, and move the mic all over the speaker untill I have found the "Sweet Spot" of that speaker.

On My Mix, There is NO EQ, Compression, Nothing! That is the raw tone strait from the cab......

I thought the point SSGlen was making was that the rules discussion is ANOTHER discussion & he referred to OTHER threads. Seems, however, that someone is sensitive and wants to brawl.
NOW, back to the MIX comparison...the studio one sounds more cartoonish.

And if you want to mix bands you really should get some decent monitors.

As a newbie who recently switched from stereo speakers to monitors, I can report that going back and listening to some of my old mixes has been an eye-opening (ear-opening?) experience.

Cool,...thanks for the info! (Recording guitars is sort of "my thing"..) :)

Not usually a big fan of the Recto's, but that sounded nice and tight with the right amount of saturation for that song...Good job!

Rick

I was really surprised to see only one post touching on the vocals ??
There are vocals in there? :confused: :eek: I am gonna have to listen to them again, but maybe I should wait until I am home to do so, because I listened to them at work on shit computer speakers and I swear I didn't hear any vocals. Which in itself maybe a problem?

arent ns10's technically "home stereo speakers"?

i think they started out being that but became adopted by bob clearmountain as studio monitors and then became the "standard" .does not matter, you can mix on any speaker if you know the speaker.

I'm pretty sure they were designed and marketed initially as home stereo speakers. I've heard this from many sources, but the only one I can find now is wikipedia which would be like blasphemy to quote...!

The reason they are used so widely is because they translate well to everyday setups (apparently).

no ns 10s dont sound fantasic front the start but if you can dial in a mix with them you can be pretty sure they will translate well to all formats.if they sound like as when you have mixed on them you should stop and re mix because you got it wrong

you can mix on any speaker if you know the speaker.

I agree. Familiarity with the speaker and how lots of CDs sound on the speaker is the most important aspect for me. Also, I am finding the obligatory Car and Boombox sessions to be very revealing.

This is a good thread.:cool: My recent disastrous ( albeit with a happy ending) experience with an incompetent, jackass "engineer" taught me a lot. I dont care what toys anybody has, it's of secondary importance. A good set of ears and plenty O' experience is the way to go. I happened to find a guy with some of the best gear on the planet, he made mixes that a monkey could do better. A deaf monkey.

From now on, gear means almost nothing to me. You could use a tape deck from Walmart and get much better results than someone with lots of toys and no musical talent.

Back