Direct Monitoring

stupidcurry

I have a Lenovo PC, a cheap Line 6 GX which is plugged into the USB port on my computer and some Logitech speakers that are plugged straight into the Line 6 GX. I'm running Pod Farm through Fruity Loops Producer Edition. I've done a lot of recordings and projects and they've turned out good quality but there's always this annoying latency issue and it proves a problem when I want to record detailed, fast guitar parts. When I open up Pod Farm on its own as a single program without a DAW, its absolutely fine - a little latency but not audibly apparent at all when playing. I was just wondering if there was ANY way at all that I could either achieve direct monitoring or if not, at least reduce the latency to get these detailed parts recorded to the best of my computers capability? Note; I do realize that this might only be able to be achieved with studio monitors but as for now I don't have the money to invest in such equipment as I'm only 16. I also plan to buy a better audio interface like a Focusrite Scarlett model, but as I said, no monez. I hope someone can help me out with this issue. Thanks, Jack :)

I've had this same problem with Ableton, POD farm and a Line 6 interface.
I was never able to solve the lag. Worked perfectly fine outside of the DAW but the playback from the DAW was always delayed.

I'm not sure, how would you adjust the buffer speed?
That is something that may not be possible... Just doing a brief browse through the line6 website forum it seems everyone gets different results depending on which software they use (pod farm vs. gearbox). I don't know enough about the GX but if you've still got the manual there should be something in there about troubleshooting latency. If not, check this out on the line6 support forum; it's not for FL but if you dig around a little you might find a thread on there that may help out.

Are you using PodFarm as a plug-in, or stand-alone into Fruity Loops? The buffer settings would be in FL.

In your gx manual I found this it will probably come up if you go to ASIO properties and you can set the slider for lower latency.

7 – ToneDirect & USB Streaming Buffer Size slider: Use this slider to adjust the latency of the
ToneDirect (POD Studio & TonePort devices) or USB Streaming (POD X3 & PODxt devices)
monitoring signal. Lower slider settings offer less latency but utilize more CPU power from your
computer. Higher values offer less CPU usage and can resolve audio drop-out issues. It is recommended
to start at a lower value, as shown above, and move the slider slightly to the right only if you experience
drop-outs in your monitor signal. Note that larger buffer size slider settings here will also impact the
audio driver buffer, where your DAW’s overall audio latency will also be increased slightly.

Back