Direct me to a Great 'Acoustic" Amp for Guitar and Mandolin

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
Whats the bomb out there. I''ve checked out the Marshall, Crate and Trace Elliot stuff. It all seems pretty decent. Anybody use any of these amps for the long haul? What holds up and what cuts the mustard?

I have a fender accoustisonic which I really like. Good for small venues like a bar. Has a line and a mike on seperate channels. It also has speakers at 90 degree angles. If you use it in a corner, it gives the amp some good seperation and adds to the effects.

I've used Marshall, Trace Acoustic, Fender, and Roland. All sounded great. But I passed on all of them and continue to use my Roland JC120 as my acoustic amp. I use a Sansamp Acoustic DI and get great results.

Thanks guys. Richard--I'll check out the SWR stuff too. There are so many acoustic amps out there--man, its confusing, and who knows what kind of build quality you are buying. I definitely want one with a mic channel so I can use it as a small PA.

Anybody else have an opinion?

I have never had a complaint about my Peavey Ecoustic 112:

two channels, one with XLR input with phantom power, separate 5-band EQs for each channel, notch in the instrument channel, both with separate FX loops.

+1

JR#97 said:
I've used Marshall, Trace Acoustic, Fender, and Roland. All sounded great. But I passed on all of them and continue to use my Roland JC120 as my acoustic amp. I use a Sansamp Acoustic DI and get great results.

I tried a bunch in the $400 - $500 category and ended up getting the Fender Acoustasonic Jr. because I could get the best clean sound with my direct setup. I'm happy with it; its weakness is that if I push it, it will start to overdrive. It gets loud but loses the accurate acoustic tone. So it's a great low volume amp and if I need real power, I simply mic it.

I've been doing extensive research looking for the right acoustic amp for me. Both in the music stores and on-line. I am of the opinion that the SWR Strawberry Blonde (for a single channel) and the California Blonde (for multiple channels) is a "best buy". I invite you to talk me out of getting an SB. For $500 at Musician's Friend (and probably cheaper if I look hard) I think it's a great bargain. I'll use it for home recording and gigs at a small church. I know what it can do with an acoustic/electric (both steel string and nylon) but many of the reviews I've been reading also commend it for its sound with electric guitar.

blessings,

rpe

WOW!!!!!!!!

That Fishman sounds like just the ticket for high volume. That's some powerful acoustic amp.

Back