Digitech Whammy Makin Me Crazy

starbuck26

Hey Gents...

The Digitech Whammy re-issue has a midi-in port, for use with an external midi selector. After playing about 50 shows and ALWAYS FORGETTING to change patches on the whammy before starting the song (resulting in me trying to twist the damn knob with my foot, which never works) I thought to finally control the damn thing with a midi pedal.

But now, I'm looking through these damn midi pedals and most of them include an expression pedal and a dozen buttons. I'm looking specifically for a pedal where I can set a few presets and their corresponding midi channels.

the Tech 21 Midi-Mouse comes close, it's just a simple up/down device. Problem is, the two patches I use 98% of the time are channels 21 and 9. I don't want to press the damn button 12 times to change patches.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?

Move your patches?

Seriously--I've got a Digitech Whammy, so I get what you're saying about tweaking it on the fly. But I just record with mine, so I've done fine without any midi implementation. But can you juggle your patches so that the two you use 98% of the time are 1 & 2 instead of 21 & 9?

Again--I don't use mine that way, so if I'm suggesting something stupid. let me know and I'll slap myself for you. :D

I gotta suggestion... but yer not gonna like it...

Get rid of the whammy box and get yerself a guitar with a whammy bar. Some things are just not meant to be digitalized.

Get rid of the whammy box and get yerself a guitar with a whammy bar. Some things are just not meant to be digitalized.

Huh???

The Whammy is capable of tones a whammy bar can not get.

Anyway. If you can't move the presets, you might try ditching it in favor of one of the new models from the RP line. The 500 nails the Whammy (and a whole lot more) and features an excellent bypass (advertised as true bypass). The 350's Whammy sounds just as good, but the3 bypass is a little clumsy.

WBCsound is right on this one. The whammy pedal does more & and far different things than a whammy bar. So much so, that I use both together.

I re-read the manual yesterday, but didn't even think about the ability to juggle the patch numbers. Maybe I missed something. It occurred to me to give Digitech a call and see what they have to say about it.

I was at practice last night, and I was really trying to figure out I could do to make the transition easier. One of our songs bleeds into the next one, and my hands have to be on the guitar. The first needs the bending 2 octaves up function, and the other needs the upper octave harmony. Now I'm doing it with my foot... it's making me crazy.

I'll check out the RP. Never heard of it actually.

And... last I checked... my whammy bar doesn't give my fifths in harmony with whatever note i'm playing... :cool:

Right, because the Killing in the Name of solo is totally doable with a whammy bar... :cool:

Back