Digitech RP50 settings for metal

mharr552000

This guy I know gave me a Digitech RP50(one of those indefinite loan things). On-line reviews range from the cats pajamas to the cats ass. I've heard you can get some usable sounds from it if you tweak the presets. I'm looking for decent heavy metal settings for direct recording.

mharr552000 said:
This guy I know gave me a Digitech RP50(one of those indefinite loan things). On-line reviews range from the cats pajamas to the cats ass. I've heard you can get some usable sounds from it if you tweak the presets. I'm looking for decent heavy metal settings for direct recording.

I've got one, and I think you can. Did it include the manual?

First, turn off all the settings. Then start going through the amp models until you find a distortion you like. I usually start adding some reverb and delay next, and then work on chorus or flanging.

Check out the songs in my signature line. The Metal rumble solo is my hotrodded Squier Bullet through my RP50 direct into the laptop.

Good luck!

i've tried to get a good metal tone on the RP100, and I gave up and sold it to get a Behringer V-amp 2, just to be disappointed at the fact that I get the exact same tones I got from my RP100.

all I could get from the RP100 were very shrill and ear-piercing

You know sometimes you have to work with what you got.We can't all have Les Pauls and Marshall Stacks.

I agree with apl,start with your amp model and work your way up.I might suggest trying compression too as this can really alter the guitars attack.

At the Digitech site for that pedal there are over 200+ user contributions in the RP50 Patch Library. Take a look, find a patch that sounds good to you and then use the settings shown.

I hope this helps.

Digitech RP50

i've tried to get a good metal tone on the RP100, and I gave up and sold it to get a Behringer V-amp 2, just to be disappointed at the fact that I get the exact same tones I got from my RP100.

If you were getting thin, "ear piercing" tones from the V-AMP 2, you probably weren't using it right. Are some negative things you can say about it, but "thin tone" isn't one of them.

amra said:
If you were getting thin, "ear piercing" tones from the V-AMP 2, you probably weren't using it right. Are some negative things you can say about it, but "thin tone" isn't one of them.

+11111111111111

amra said:

i mean sterile/shrill... v-amp 2 is pretty bassy but when I try to get some good heavily overdriven tones out of it, I get this nasty breakup and the noisegate cuts down sustain, i thought it sounded exactly like my old RP100 at times

Well the V-AMP isn't an effect pedal like a RP-50 or 80 or whatever. It is an amp modeler like the POD. I do agree that they don't sound all that great through an amp, especially with cab modeling off. They are really meant to be used in place of an amp, not with your amp (don't know about the POD XT Live). Amp modelers sound best straight to the P.A., or through a full range speaker set up like a KB amp.

The Digitech RP50 is indeed a "modelling processor" intended to simulate an amplifier, and includes cabinet emulation. It is not a FX pedal, in the strictest sense.

I've got an old RP100...I think that's the model number...anyway I got the best metal tone out of it by using it in bypass mode in front of my 5150 II half stack.......just kidding. Seriously, I used to get decent tones out of that thing for recording. Use the same philosophy you would use for an amp. Don't use too much distortion, cause it will just get worse using too much. Use a speaker simulator setting that gives the warmest tone and go for it.

The RP series is an effects pedal, with cab modeling as an afterthought. It is not a modeler. I own an RP-100 and while it has some usuable effects, it really needs an amp to sound decent.

BTW, the zoom 505 is advertised as having cab modeling too, but it isn't a an amp modeler either.

BTW, I have a the RP100 and also the V-amp pro. The V-amp is WAY more versatile.....but on the whole as a modeler, it really doesn't sound that much better than the Digitech did. But like I said, that one wasn't that bad either.

Thanks for the tips and links. I tweaked the "metal scoop" preset by "unscooping" it and adding a little compression. With the cabinet modeling on it sound usable.

Back