Digital drum room effect?

nonrate

Hi folks,

I recently recorded drum tracks on my own and unfortunately did not have the resources to record in a professional "room". In fact, the room that I recorded in was very dry (sound proofed) and small, with little to no reflection.

I wanted to know if any one can recommend any VST plugins, or settings for default plugins that come with Adobe Audition, that I could use to "simulate", with believable accuracy, a good sounding drum room.

Also, is this a good idea? Can it be done, or has it been done professionally before? And if this is not going to work in your opinion, do you have any tips on how I can improve the sound of my recorded tracks without simulating a drum room?

Thank you for your generous advice, I appreciate you sharing your expertise and experience.

Well, it would be impossible to tell you how to improve your tracks without hearing them. But, to answer your question....Yes, reverb is used often to simulate a room sound.

Thanks, but I already know reverb is used to simulate a room. What I am looking for are expert opinions for how to configure a reveb to mimic a room drums are typically recorded in, or if there are any specialty plugins that do this. Or, if this is even a good idea or not. I personally have no problem with it and always add it, but I am not a professional.

Also I disagree with you that it's impossible to steer me in the right direction without listening to my tracks. It might be impossible for you to tell me how to come closest to the sound I want, but not on basic configuration settings for typical drum environments.

Sorry Rami. I didn't mean to sound like an asshole. I just thought my question was clear and was trying to elaborate on it. I didn't realize that I didn't provide enough information to make it obvious I understand the fundamentals of reverb. I am new to this forum, but the other ones I belong to we openly disagree all the time with each other. I'll make a note that folks in this community are sensitive to such things and not voice my opinion, unless asked. Thanks for your effort in trying to help me out, I do appreciate it.

Sorry Rami. I didn't mean to sound like an asshole. I just thought my question was clear and was trying to elaborate on it. I didn't realize that I didn't provide enough information to make it obvious I understand the fundamentals of reverb. I am new to this forum, but the other ones I belong to we openly disagree all the time with each other. I'll make a note that folks in this community are sensitive to such things and not voice my opinion, unless asked. Thanks for your effort in trying to help me out, I do appreciate it.

no one's sensitive, but you did come across as an asshole so you're 50% right :D

just FYI there are a few great drummers on this websites...Ramis probably the best out of them all so you're off to a great start...I can guarantee you he'll know more about drums than you do reverb, so if he says he'd needs to hear your drums to help, that means he needs to hear your drums...though I doubt he'll be arsed now

Id suggest learning the bass :drunk:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have a feeling I will get by ok without Rami's help. I have no doubt he is a great drummer and that is a great accomplishment. Perhaps he needs to hear my tracks to help me, I never doubted that. I just know other professionals that have been able to give me tips without such a requirement. But for some, it's what the art requires for one to give their advice, and that's fair enough.

I know I am beating a dead horse here, but like I said, I did not mean to come across like an asshole. In fact, if I spoke those words instead of typed them out, I have a feeling you or Rami would not have thought I sounded that way at all. This is a matter of how you chose to perceive my tone.

Reading them again, I can see how some people might "read" it with such a tone, which is why I apologized --but I have found those that take offense to how I worded that are indeed sensitive folks. That's ok, sensitivity is part of what makes an artist a good artist, so I will disagree with you as well (and I hope you will not shun me for it as Rami did). I believe Rami reacted out of sensitivity, and that's my dis-agreement with you.

I will say this though. This is my second post here on this forum. My first post was met with a condescending attitude with no regard to the question posted, with literal in-fighting between members on my topic; and not in-fighting about the answer, but about why I would make the post I did.

It seems in this community, if you have the term "newbie" next to your handle it means you are wearing diapers and are completely inexperienced and incapable of participating in discussion, or questioning others opinions, without admitting you know absolutely nothing about the subject matter. This is understandable, I have noticed this in many of the more juvenile forums I have participated in. It's as if I am not part of the "club", or that I did not achieve the rights of passage to post a question here and just accept the answers without debate, or questioning someones reply. Was my question demanding? Was it dis-respectful? Not at all. Neither was Rami's reply, yet when I replied to what he wrote, he treated me like one of those "outcasts" of the club. And your "lol" was nothing more than an affirmation you belong to the "club" mentality.

Fair enough. I am certain the community as a whole is not so un-inviting. Perhaps others in my position would "apologize", suck up, to gain credit in your club. But I'm not going to do that to win favor or acceptance from anyone here. I hope to engage in meaningful conversations with these folks, debate, and learn a thing or two from those that have the capacity, expertise, understanding, willingness, and most importantly, maturity, to do so, without resorting to jr. high behaviors.

BTW, read up on the Dunning Kruger affect http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect. I have a feeling many here are victims of this effect, and you and Rami may want to evaluate if you have been infected.

Wow, well after reading the posts I'd like to word my reply in 3 stages,

First the question, then the percieved response then the best way to resolve this,

I agree that hearing the drums may help us all evaluate more but in a blind response I'm gonna suggest one of two methods, either A) find a nice sounding room set up your monitors and two mics and track a "room" track for your drums MAY help get you on the road your after and B) theres are lots of good vst reverbs out there, its a matter of personal taste, I, personally am very partial to the Lexicon series, they may help you.

I can see why Rami and Kcearl may have perceived your responses that way simply because of your "tone" I find personally that you're choice of words when they're not spoken are even more important as a lot of factors can't be told, for instance, is this an ironic reply to the entire matter and I'm I doing it simply for the fun of it? or is it a serious reply, for the record its a serious reply, here at hr I find that its helpful to know to take things with a pinch of salt, after all you're posts in this thread could be read as cold and clinical, there is a very warm, very human heart here at hr, and that a bit of banter does go a long way, and approaching your question more as, "lads, I done a drum track there in a pretty dead room and wanna bring a touch of life back to it" may have warranted some better replies for instance the semiphrase "that I could use to "simulate", with believable accuracy, a good sounding drum room" is very subjective, as we don't know which genre they're from or any of the other artistic intricacies, so in short, be less formal, this isn't a business meeting, now please don't take this as a personal attack, just friendly advice,

now finally to rectify this, you're second post on the matter actually seemed to dismiss rami straight off that bat, he was trying to lend a hand albeit breif and trying to help you to illicit a better response from the forum as a whole, I for one would rather listen to a track before giving blind advice and at the end of it all thats what he said, yes reverb is use but we need to hear it. Whereafter you posted seemingly to reinstate the fact that you only want numbers. at the end of the day, recording is a science yes, but its an artistic science, its like asking why isn't my cake this fluffy but not offering a taste,

"Also I disagree with you that it's impossible to steer me in the right direction without listening to my tracks. It might be impossible for you to tell me how to come closest to the sound I want, but not on basic configuration settings for typical drum environments."

This seems to be where the objection lies, there are no basic settings outside the settings of your plug in, a lexicon reverb doesn't sound like a sonnox reverb even with the same settings, and also in the grand master plan you're drums might not even need reverb to sit well in the mix, these are all things we can't tell you blind. I am, and I'm sure I speak for most of HR willing to help you, to help yourself, its a matter of learning the way we talk to each other, NOT a club mentality as you put it.

Finally sorry for the formal approach but I don't want to be misread, now back to drawing penises on my notepad

and after reading back and noticing that this post is YEARS old, I now realise I must sound like a pretentious prat... Sorry

and after reading back and noticing that this post is YEARS old, I now realise I must sound like a pretentious prat... Sorry

lol. This made my boring night a bit less so, though. That guy was a jackass...to a comical extent. I haven't seen somebody try to "kill with kindness" like that since junior high or so. How obnoxious.

Hey man, nothing to apologize for. It's nice to know someone still has my back a year and a half after this thread started. :D

Fcuk, that guy was a passive-aggressive, pompus hemmoroid.

Hey man, nothing to apologize for. It's nice to know someone still has my back a year and a half after this thread started. :D

Fcuk, that guy was a passive-aggressive, pompus hemmoroid.

You sure that's not the Dunning Kruger talking?

Back