differences between pro tools and adobe audition?

dunivan

hey,

i was looking into starting a pro tools recording set up, and leaving behind my audition set up.

are there any noticeable differences? or are they pretty much the same?

You probably already know this, but Pro Tools only works with select hardware.

Just puttin' it out there.

And not only that but I think the basic package of protools only enables you to use a certain amount of tracks, then you have to buy some package to up that. I'm not entirely certain on this but I read it on this board.

Pro Tools seems a bit of a money trap to me at a consumer level.

It also only starts to really have a benefit over thing like Audition when you are using the HD systems with the accelerator cards to take the load of your computer. and you aren't talking consumer prices for that. As far as LE or M-Powered goes, there's not much benefit to that over audition, especially when you take into account, as mentioned, the need for Digidesign hardware etc.

On the other hand, a lot of people praise its intuitiveness nd the workflow. But then if you get used to any software after a while, doesn't it eventually become intuitive. Personally I would stick with Audition. I don't use it, but it seems to be a good bit of software. Switching to Pro Tools probably won't really improve things for you much. But that's my opinion. Other people may have others.

I think the limit for tracks on the LE/M-Powered versions is 32 and I'm not sure on the midi track count. There is a fair amount of stuff that works with ProTools that is not Digidesign gear. Some of the interfaces and things like control items - the Fader Port and the similar Frontier controller, Tascam's FireOne, etc. - work with ProTools.

Should you switch from Audition? No. Audition has some cool stuff to it that isn't replicated in ProTools. And you hopefully know your way around Audition fairly well by now. I know of folks that use multiple DAWs so they can take advantage of the strengths of each. That's a lot of money spent from my perspective, but maybe not from yours. I use ProTools, but I don't think it's enough better than Cubase, Audition, Sonar or any others to leave whatever you have for ProTools. Stick with what you know would be my opinion.

I think the limit for tracks on the LE/M-Powered versions is 32 and I'm not sure on the midi track count.

Don't get confused between tracks and voices, people. Voices equates to a single channel. So one mono track equals one voice. One stereo track equals two voices. So 32 voices maximum, unless you get the DV Toolkit which ups it to 48 audio tracks (mix and match stereo and mono if you want).

Tascam's FireOne, etc. - work with ProTools.

are you saying the audio interfaces part of the unit works with PT? Are you sure about this? I can't see that being true. That would make it the sole third party company that has built a unit to offer another interface.

dunivan-

If you're interested in Pro Tools read through these:
http://protoolsforum.com/ProToolsLE1.html
http://protoolsforum.com/WhatIsNew.html

Don't get confused between tracks and voices, people. Voices equates to a single channel. So one mono track equals one voice. One stereo track equals two voices. So 32 voices maximum, unless you get the DV Toolkit which ups it to 48 audio tracks (mix and match stereo and mono if you want).

the music production toolkit also provides the 48 tracks. it is much less expensive than the dv toolkit. i found myself hitting the 32 track limit every now and then. i expanded to 48 and havent really hit that limit yet. imagine, they used to make due with just 24...lol

in a nutshell...

Audition doesn't do MIDI. It is by far NOT the standard and somewhat of a rare bird to find other's in audio using. I personally love it. But the pro audio world lives on protools. If you don't need midi stick with audition. It's less demanding on the computer and IMO is easier to use and work in. You don't have to worry about all of the hardware/upgrade BS that comes with protools. It almost littereally will work with any interface so long as that interface works on your computer.

if you really dive into pro tools you'll find a lot of advantages for editing in pro tools vs audition. editing is where pro tools really shines...especially if you learn all your key commands and use programs like quickeys with it

Gear from Contour Design, Logic Keyboard, Grace Design and CM Labs all work with PT. The CM Labs item is a console which is another interface besides Digidesigns and M-Audio.

Gear from Contour Design, Logic Keyboard, Grace Design and CM Labs all work with PT. The CM Labs item is a console which is another interface besides Digidesigns and M-Audio.

what products are you specifically talking about by these companies?

MIDI control surfaces and audio interfaces are two different things. Yes, PT will accept most any HUI emulated device. But not audio interfaces.

I am just trying to point out that, IMO, one is not as limited in their choices of gear that can be used with PT as implied by the post by Guitarer. I realize that this may not be the consensus view. Contour Designs is a controller - ShuttlePro & the Shuttle Express. The Grace Design item is a Protools controllable 8 channel mic pre. CM Labs offers the MotorMate control surface and the SixtyFour - a 32 in/out router. Frontier offers the Tranzport and AlphaTrack.

Yes, I do understand that control surfaces/interfaces are not the same as audio interfaces. Again, I was just responding to the implication that you're limited by ProTools as to what gear can be used with the system. Sorry to have not been more clear on that. After re-reading my post I can see where it indeed was not clear as to what type of interface I was refering. Again, my apologies Benny.

Yep, Pro Tools limits you with propietary BS. RTAS can't convert to VST...can't upgrade hardware to another vendor except digidesign. If you go Pro Tools, so the M powered route, not LE (like me).

I've been using Fruity Loops XXL a lot lately.

For MIDI recording, Fruity is the way to go in my opinion. Pro Tools LE sucks for midi. It's good for audio editing (I've learned the keyboard shortcuts to blaze through comps), and for mixing. But I've wanted to upgrade to firewire and not have to buy another piece of pro tools hardware and met with frustration.

Yes, I do understand that control surfaces/interfaces are not the same as audio interfaces. Again, I was just responding to the implication that you're limited by ProTools as to what gear can be used with the system. Sorry to have not been more clear on that. After re-reading my post I can see where it indeed was not clear as to what type of interface I was refering. Again, my apologies Benny.

nah, that's cool. I get what your saying. I just wanted to make sure no one misunderstood your post and jumped up and down thinking that they can find other interfaces out there to record through.
I myself use several, non-Digi units that I use with Pro Tools

But I've wanted to upgrade to firewire and not have to buy another piece of pro tools hardware and met with frustration.

haha, you make it sound like every other hardware/software company allows you to "upgrade" to firewire for free.

Audition... Protools

If you like audition and feel comfortable with it, stick with it. Pro tools m-powered and LE are all hardware dependant so without proper equipment (audio interface) it will NOT work.

On the positive side. With pro tools you can transfer sessions to professional studios and mix/edit there.

It all comes down to if you want to spend the money on something you need. You can create a professional sounding song even with audacity or some other freeware program. Some have more features then others. The equipment will give you the best sound not the program.

Wazn has it right. If you want to work in the industry, you *must* learn Pro Tools. If you just want to record at home and you like audition, stick with it until you need to grow beyond it.

Back