Desk placement & how to treat my room

lee miran

I moved into a new house and would like to treat the room where I will be composing, recording and monitoring. I would like to treat with 4x2ft bass traps. But I am having a hard time deciding how to arrange the room and treatment due to the window and closet in the room.

The drawing attached is nowhere close to scale and the measurments are close approximations. I initially had planned on putting the workstation on the shorter 11 ft. wall and have drapes from ceiling to floor the width of the whole wall. The closet doors are also going to be hidden by drapes along that wall.

But then I decided that I want to build bass traps, but would not be able to conventionally install them on the corner with the window or the corner at the closet.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• room.GIF
    room.GIF
    4 KB · Views: 110
This is one of those rarer cases where not firing the speakers down the long axis (not much diff here) is probably better.

I'd put the station along the left 12' wall. Make the bass absorbers so they're open on the back and probably on stands. This will let you slide them in place most of the time but still get to the window and closet when needed.

Also, you'll likely want to consider hanging some additional bass absorbers straddling the wall/ceiling corners horizontally.

Bryan

OK... I can do the stand thing. I guess that will be the best solution at this point. But, how do I treat the area to the right of the workstation? I've attached an updated layout. Will this be OK?

Attachments

• room2.GIF
    room2.GIF
    5.3 KB · Views: 95
Flip it horizontally so the desk is on the left wall of the drawing - assuming the desk is your mix position.

Bryan

LOL...you did say "left wall" in your first response....

That definitely would be the easy solution. However, there is a bedroom on the other side of that wall. Which wall would be less offending to the person in that room?

That orientation will work OK too. I was just trying to get the mix position away from having the bass buildup from that odd nook from firing right back at it. With a sideways orientation, it'll be coming more off the side wall where some of the reflection and general decay treatment can get a shot at it first.

As for the bedroom thing, really doesn't matter. All the walls are going to vibrate and transfer noise.

Bryan

Back