Delay effect before or after amp? (re-amp box really needed?)

Svemir

Hi there!
I'm recording some stuff at home and I have purchased a very cool delay pedal for guitar I would like to use in some of my tracks.
I'm recording with cakewalk and and amp sim from Overloud.
Now, I don't have a re-amp box in order to place my delay pedal after the amp sim in my DAW.
Is it really much better in terms of sound quality to place the delay pedal after the amp with the re-amp box?
Or is just fine for the guitar to pass to the delay pedal first and then to the amp sim in the daw?
Do you suggest me to buy a re-amp box?

Thanks in advance.

The delay box goes after the preamp but before the power section. This gives the proper input level and gain for the delay to use. A FX Loop is ideal for this purpose. It is the perfect junction point.

Put nothing in front of the input to the PRE.

The delay box goes after the preamp but before the power section. This gives the proper input level and gain for the delay to use. A FX Loop is ideal for this purpose. It is the perfect junction point.

Put nothing in front of the input to the PRE.
ok Great, since I need to change my audio interface as well because the one I have now has one input, I'm thinking to buy the Focusrite, I'm just undecided between the 2i2 and the 4i4, it seems that the 2i2 has no midi, and since I'm thinking to start experimenting with some beats machine like korg, do you recommend to get the one with midi? I mean I never used those synth or drum machines before so no idea, do they need to be recorded in MIDI?

Midi could go USB and would be recognized by the DAW.
I never used those synth or drum machines before so no idea, do they need to be recorded in MIDI?
Ive tried AKAI Beats. The only VSTs I have used are from UA and companies affiliated with them. Like Brainworx, softtube, etc.

Beats works for finger tap drums. EZDrummer is the drum machine software I have been using. Check it out. EZDrummer is hated but loved too.

Midi could go USB and would be recognized by the DAW.

Ive tried AKAI Beats. The only VSTs I have used are from UA and companies affiliated with them. Like Brainworx, softtube, etc.

Beats works for finger tap drums. EZDrummer is the drum machine software I have been using. Check it out. EZDrummer is hated but loved too.
No I won't use the software plugin for drums beats, but a proper Korg Volca Beats, that's why I'm asking. To record a synth or a drum machine (not plugin) do you need MIDI in/out on your audio interface?

these are my two options

255449850_583686226201945_1528345271937180636_n.png

254890321_3151391781747221_9030888746050452602_n.png

You can put the pedal between the guitar and interface (preamp). Back in the 'old days', guitar amps NEVER had FX loops.

You can put the pedal between the guitar and interface (preamp). Back in the 'old days', guitar amps NEVER had FX loops.
Mmm then why everyone is using effects after the amp nowadays? There must be a reason, it doesn’t necessarily mean that everything they did in the old days was better than what they do now.

Trying to think. My MP-1 by ADA , has no input level control. Only output level. The input is wide open always. My Lee Jackson...wide open.. The CAE 3+ wide open. You don't want to put anything in front of the preamp input.

Matter of fact all my FX are rack. In the return or post. I don't use FX pedals. I use buttons and CC pedals with the rack units where every parameter and option are explore able.

There are only 10,000 pedal companies. How could I possibly be wrong?

Last edited:
If you have the delay before the Amp, the compression of the Amp will affect the delay repeats. Also, as the repeats get quieter, the distortion and tone change.
Putting delay after the preamp stage of the Amp delays the distorted signal and most of the compression has already happened.

Putting it after everything (in the mix) gives the highest fidelity, but doesn't act as part of the guitar tone.

Mmm then why everyone is using effects after the amp nowadays? There must be a reason, it doesn’t necessarily mean that everything they did in the old days was better than what they do now.
What Farview said ^^^. But you don't HAVE TO put the pedal after the preamp (not after the amp), if you don't have that ability, like the OP, it will still work, the tone/effect may be slightly different.

recording some stuff at home and I have purchased a very cool delay pedal
Now that he kept it a secret I want to know what delay he is using. Svemir , what delay pedal is it?

I use A KORG DL8000 or Lexicon PCM 80 , relics, but completely awesome. Crystal clear and can do anything. KORG has 8 lines of non summing true R/L delay , the Lexicon has 6. Every parameter is midi assignable. The KORG can do 4 CC pedals and 2 footswitches. The lexicon with the footcontroller can do 2 CC pedals, and a switch.

Last edited:
Now that he kept it a secret I want to know what delay he is using. Svemir , what delay pedal is it?

I use A KORG DL8000 or Lexicon PCM 80 , relics, but completely awesome. Crystal clear and can do anything. KORG has 8 lines of non summing true R/L delay , the Lexicon has 6. Every parameter is midi assignable. The KORG can do 4 CC pedals and 2 footswitches. The lexicon with the footcontroller can do 2 CC pedals, and a switch.
Its a Boss DD-200

If you have the delay before the Amp, the compression of the Amp will affect the delay repeats. Also, as the repeats get quieter, the distortion and tone change.
Putting delay after the preamp stage of the Amp delays the distorted signal and most of the compression has already happened.

Putting it after everything (in the mix) gives the highest fidelity, but doesn't act as part of the guitar tone.
This must be the correct answer, so it should worth it to spend 200 euros for a re-amp box and a new audio inteRface? So the recording will sound much better with the delay after the amp and not before? I guess yes

Thing is I could just use the Overloud effects in my daw, the plugins, but I really like some of the effects this Boss pedal has and I would like to use that instead of plugins in my daw. But still use the distortion amp plugin only

This must be the correct answer, so it should worth it to spend 200 euros for a re-amp box and a new audio inteRface? So the recording will sound much better with the delay after the amp and not before? I guess yes
Before spending any money, why don't you try using the delay pedal on the way into the AI first? Won't cost you anything to try it!

You should not need a reamp box, just come out of a line out and go back into a line in, or two line inputs for stereo. The pedal shouldn't have a problem with the level or impedance of the line outs and ins.

Back