Dedicated ASIO Drivers for USB Mixer

Elbitrevnoc

Hi all. I don't like to think of myself as a 'newbie,' having been recording at home for several decades! However, as someone that was brought up in an analogue age and who has continued to use digital multi tracks in pretty much the same way as reel to reel tape, I've finally decided it's time to get to grips with the potential that my PC offers me. I would appreciate some advice on my mixer interface problems.

I want to use a USB mixer rather than a simple interface - mainly because it saves too much re-plugging, but also because it can double-up for more traditional live uses. My problem is that I've struggled to find any clarity as to which models truly have dedicated ASIO drivers that are compatible with 64 bit windows 7 systems. I've just had to give up on what I thought would be a bargain Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0 I picked up, but I just couldn't get my system, running Cubase 5.0, to recognise it. Have looked at some other models, but I'm worried I may find the same problem. The A&H 'Zed' series for example looks pretty good, but they've been around for quite a while and I get the impression that I'll be stuck again with having to rely on ASIO4ALL. Having spectacularly failed to get this to work with the Alesis' I really don't want to go through all that again.

Can anyone please recommend a decent USB based mixer that works with manufacturer dedicated drivers with Cubase in 64 bit W7? I appreciate the points in favour of FireWire, but am happy that USB will be good enough for my solo recording projects. I just want one that will work out of the box!

To much to ask..?

Did you grab the windows 7 64-bit drivers from the Alesis website for your Multimix 16? It looks like there's also a firmware update on their website. But it seems that those mixers don't really need drivers to be recognized as an audio input/output device.

Also, there's a Cubase setup guide on their website for the multimix 16. It's a little dated (Vista is the most current Windows it mentions), and it's geared towards the LE version of Cubase that comes with the mixer, but the general steps should still apply to Win7 and whichever Cubase you're using:

http://www.alesis.com/stuff/content...90b79/file/cubase_le_4_setup_guide___revb.pdf

I also read somewhere (again, dated material) that you should turn on the mixer, then connect the USB cable, then fire up your DAW software. Maybe that'll help Cubase actually see it.

Thanks for your help Tadpui. Much appreciated.

Yes, I tried the driver on the Alesis site, but I still couldn't get it to work. Tried every other possible variation in set-up I could think of, but no joy! I'm not convinced that the driver is actually an ASIO driver and hence why I tried ASIO4ALL as well, but never made any progress. I've given up on it now - bitter experience tells me that any bit of kit that hard to get up and running it is always going to be flakey - even if I do manage some progress.

Now on the hunt for something else!

Thanks for your help Tadpui. Much appreciated.

Yes, I tried the driver on the Alesis site, but I still couldn't get it to work. Tried every other possible variation in set-up I could think of, but no joy! I'm not convinced that the driver is actually an ASIO driver and hence why I tried ASIO4ALL as well, but never made any progress. I've given up on it now - bitter experience tells me that any bit of kit that hard to get up and running it is always going to be flakey - even if I do manage some progress.

Now on the hunt for something else!

Can I assume you are using a laptop? If so your options are limited/expensive. The ZED10 is excellent, got one, but as you say the USB side is err, "adequate"? It is, I hasten to say far better than almost any other 16bit USB device I have tried but, and I have not gone into this in any way at all, I doubt it will deliver in the latency and other performance stakes of a decent AI.

If of course you are running a desktop..Simples! Do as I did, get the ZED and an M-A 2496 PCI card or better the M-A 192 if you can find one. You might not even have any PCI slots? There are very few PCIe cards that don't require surgical removal of limbs. There is the Juli@ but I know nothing about it.

But I suspect you have a laptop and in that case, if you still need a mixer get the A&H and a good interface. Best for the money and best of almost anything for stable drivers and latency is the NI KA6. It will also give you two extra pretty good mic pres into the bargain. Ok, yes, bit of a desk full but I don't see another way to get 4 tracks (2 mic and a stereo mix of 4 more + line inputs+ high Z inputs + MIDI+ S/DIF) super low latency at anything like the price?

Dave.

Back