DBX Hardware for mastering

NTK88

If you are going to be doing that, try and locate a used DBX Quantum. These are DBX's mastering hardware, basically their answer to the TC Electronics Finalizer. It will sound much better than the low end DBX gear you are thinking of putting together. Also, graphic EQ's are not what's used for mastering.

What Sonic Albert said is pretty much right on:) If you do not know what you are doing, a Quantum or a TC finalizer is not such a bad tool. Perosnally, there is no way I would want my mix running through DBX comps and EQ's. What you could use the graphic EQ for however is to sidechain to the compressor to change its response:)

I would think hardware would sound better than the probably average software compression etc on garageband.
Don't get me wrong - I'm a hard-core hardware guy. But most freeware plugs are going to outperform a lot of "insanely budget friendly" hardware.

I'm with John. Too many corners cut on lower end hardware. You're likely doing more damage to the audio by just plugging it in and not even using it than software in this case.

I think ill just take my mixes to a studio =) They will have the best gear and know how.

Why not get a UAD-1 card and pimp your mixes with their worthy plugs?

They currently have a promotion that gives you a $150 plugin voucher if you register a new card with them

Those hardware mastering processors are insanely outdated. Get a nice URS eq, and then use GClip and a peak limiter to provide a ceiling. You'll get great results. All of my online demos are "loudened" with Glip and it doesn't mess up the transients of the drums.

Back