DBX 286s LED Meters Not Working

theodossi

Hi

I purchased a used DBX 286s from Guitar Center.
Yesterday i tried setting the levels and so on.
Problem is the LED meters are not lighting up.
The phantom power, bypass lights work but not the meters.
I can see them come on when i unplug the unit but that's it.

What could the problem be and would it be an cheap fix if i sent it in to Harman or should i just return it?

Thanks
Theo

Are you using a mic for the input and if so what is it (make and model)?
If using a mic, are you using an XLR to XLR cable and not an XLR to 1/4"?
You've tried the input gain knob at maximum?
Can you get the input 'CLIP' LED to flicker on with the input gain maxed and strong signal? The 'CLIP' LED is separate from the 'LEVEL' LED's according to the block diagram.
With the processing enabled, can you get the 'GAIN REDUCTION' LED's to light by adjusting the 'DRIVE' knob and input gain maxed?

If the problem can't be resolved here, returning it to GC would be the best option. The cost of shipping and repair would likely be close to the purchase price for a used 286s.

Thanks for replying Mark...
I took it in to local Guitar Center for a test and they got it to work.
Unfortunately i'm getting terrible results with my SM7b

1) Using a Shure SM7b
2) Mic XLR to 286s XLR then 1/4 Balanced from 286s Output to XLR on Zoom P8 (Zoom P8 has no 1/4 Inputs)

The guys on Youtube make it sound amazing.
Don't know why my results are so bad.

Theo

The SM7b has a particularly low output compared to most other dynamic mics. Did GC try the 286s with your mic and your cable or a different one in the store? I did just try my SM7b with my 286s and needed the gain pretty much all the way up and speaking 3'-4" from the mic get a deflection on the input LED's.

It appears the P8 has 70dB of gain which should be plenty for the SM7b and it also has much the same processing as the 286s. What do you hope to achieve with the 286s? How does the SM7b sound direct into the P8? Have you adjusted the input gain on the P8 when the 286s is connected to accommodate for its level of input into the P8 (gain staging between devices)? If the signal is too hot into the P8 it may sound bad.

Maybe the SM7b is not right for my voice which is bassy. Direct into the P8 i sound dull and nasally.
I was hoping to get a better result with the SM7b by using the 286s. I will play around with the settings and see what i get.

If you haven't already, try the switch positions on the back side of the SM7b also. They may give you a bit different sound that is more to your liking.

Attachments

• sm7b sw.jpg
    sm7b sw.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3
Back