DAW Users With ADD

Didn’t see the Packer game, but seems it was a humdinger. A Willis Reed limping onto the court type moment, and another bullet for Rodgers’ HOF resume.

Unfortunately I did see the Giants game. :( :o

Hey....to those of you who may be in the path of Florence.......please be sure to prepare as best you can. As you surely know......a CAT 4 is going to be nasty and will change your local life for some time to come. I live in Florida and am here to say that being prepared is 100,000% better than anything you can do......short of packing the car and heading away.

So........here's hoping the damned thing veers away.........and if not.......be safe!!!

Didn’t see the Packer game, but seems it was a humdinger. A Willis Reed limping onto the court type moment, and another bullet for Rodgers’ HOF resume.

Unfortunately I did see the Giants game. :( :o

I went to bed at 17-0 thinking it was only going to get worse. I of course was very surprised to see the results in the morning. Getting up at 4:30 or 5 most days makes night games rough.

Hey....to those of you who may be in the path of Florence.......please be sure to prepare as best you can. As you surely know......a CAT 4 is going to be nasty and will change your local life for some time to come. I live in Florida and am here to say that being prepared is 100,000% better than anything you can do......short of packing the car and heading away.

So........here's hoping the damned thing veers away.........and if not.......be safe!!!

Amen. I think BrokenH is in that general vicinity. Hopefully it’ll lose some steam over the next day or two.

Just looking this up in the news. Its shows Thurs-Sun. Massive evacuation so they are even reversing the incoming lanes to help people leave the area. No power with wind damage seems so huge. Never lived on the E-coast and dealt with Hurricanes evacuations. Seems hard to wrap the mind around its so large a scale and covers so much land.

Technology is great in that it can track it these days. Moving 15-17mph.

"This storm is ... nothing like you've ever seen," North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper said. "Even if you've ridden out storms before, this one is different. Don't bet your life on riding out a monster."

dang

We're going to be watching very close. We're 100 miles inland, so we'll have some warning. Our nearest shelter is 5 miles. If conditions and traffic are what I'd expect, we'll need about 20-30 minutes to make that. It's supposed to slow down when it makes landfall so we'll have 2-3 hours at that point. Everything we can imagine to do is done. The waiting is a bit nerve racking...

We here were just a tad on the northern outer bands of earlier forecasts. Virginia Beach. Given the counter clockwise rotation of a hurricane, typically the upper quadrants can be trouble, say from 10 to 2 o'clock on the dial, blowing inland from open water. Storm surge, lots of water, and wind. I made up my mind to stay put. Thing is, you never know what those damn things are going to do at the last minute. A 50-100 mile deviation from the projected path can mean a world of difference. A last minute change of heart to gtfo can be too late, unless you want to risk weathering the storm caught in traffic.

This one was projected to do some questionable moves as it got closer to making landfall. A pretty consistent projection is/was that once it got closer and/or made landfall, it would stall and move very slowly, dropping massive amounts of rain. Then it would move well inland, dropping lots of rain trhough NC and into central Virginia just east of the Blue Ridge. I think that is still in play, the rain. BUt it is going to head more west, through Carolina, to Tenn. Kentucky, Ohio. There has been lots of rain along the east coast as of late, things are already pretty saturated, so that ain't good, especially for NC. The good news is, especially for the Outer Banks of NC, certainly for Va Bch, as well as perhaps overall, once it gets right off the coast or begins to make landfall, it is going veer SW. This will lessen its strength, down to CAT 2. A full force slam of a CAT 4-5 would have been devastating. THat kind of storm, well built brick and concrete structures would probably survive. Many stick built structures would be flattened. The Outer Banks? Fugetaboutit. Large portions would be completely underwater, 15-20 foot waves over what was days before dry land. The Sea and the Pamlico Sound would become one.

Everyone is in a hell of a better shape than the potential suggested just a day or 2 ago. There will be wind, lots of rain and flooding, tree limbs down and power outages. However, it could have been A LOT worse. Then again, it ain't over til it's over. For all anyone knows that thing could button hook, go right back out to sea, and make landfall somewhere else.

Hurricane Party? Funny, before a storm (hurricane or nor-easter) you go to the grocery store, women's carts are filled with 10 loaves of bread, cases of water, cases of canned goods, lunch meat, cakes, candles etc etc etc. Look in a man's cart, beer, beer, more beer. Chips, nuts, canned meat(spam, vienna sausages, sardines), and....beer.... batteries and charcoal for the grill. If the power goes, it's time to cook! Get drunk, fat and...happy? Sure, why not. It helps....women are miserable during a power outage. And you know what they say about misery.

Stay safe, Broken H! Sardines and beer, ymmv. If you have a basement, prop things up off of the floor on blocks of some sort. It's gonna rain, a lot.

I should probably make clear: I don't mean to diminish things or take a better you than me attitude. I'm just saying things are better than they could have been.....70 mph winds are definitely better than twice that, 140-150 mph winds. Batten the hatches, get plenty of water in case of a power outage and/or flooding. If you have animals/pets, keep in mind they will need water too. YOu can fill the bathtub with water also. You'll want water to wash your hands, keep your hands clean so you do not get sick. And when it floods, tap water might not be safe to drink for a period of time. I get bottled water and throw much in the freezer. If/when the power goes I throw those in a cooler, as they melt your food isn't floating in water, and you can drink the bottles. Avoid opening your freezer or refrigerator often, keep that cold air in there in case the power comes back on sooner than later. Use your outdoor gril to cook frozen bacon, shrimp, fish, steaks and chops, smaller items. Trying to cook roasts will take too long and use up a precious resource, gas or charcoal. Once the power does return, take stock of frozen goods. If in doubt, throw it out. If your washer and dryer are in an area prone to flooding, such as a basement, cut the power at the breaker panel in advance. If you're in a really low area that is likely to be flooded, it might not be a bad idea to put the engine compartment of your vehicle on jackstands or blocks to get it up off of the ground some.

Good luck.

How are you doing down there so far, Broken H? Do you live in an area that might normally be at risk from flooding? If so, you might want to consider heading to higher ground, brother. The window of opportunity is closing.

It's overcast, but no rain here yet. We are experiencing a constant breeze. Although it is the kind of breeze we normally experience when a hurricane is coming our way, it's not supposed to get too bad. The weatherman says sustained winds around 35 mph, potential gusts up to 65. Piece of cake.

Stay safe, and provide an update if you can.

Hope the Hurricane dies off quickly, been watching it all day on the various live-cams.
Looks like NC gets the worse for now. 400 miles wide, massive flooding, ....I dont know much about Hurricanes but reading the "time" is a larger factor than I knew. The slow beating and downpour, the roofs losing few shingles at a time, then over hours the roof ripped off.....very different than the tornados here where its fast and over and a small isolated area destroyed.

avg winds 18-23mph for SC/NC....a 95mph to 110 is pretty harsh with or without water. Then the water flooding, 10 trillion gallons per the National WC could be expected. Power outages for a long time. The Nuclear Power Plant in Brunswick in the path will shut reactors down if 74mph is seen, to avoid what happened in Japan per Duke energy.

Okay. Everything kind of changed in our favor. We're sustaining some 20-30 mile an hour gusts and a lot less rain than Matthew left us. Power is still on (which means fresh water and (more importantly) AC). Fayetteville to the west has curfews and some mandatory evacuation going on. South of here has some mandatory evac as well.
We've got plenty of water (and a generator to run the well if necessary). We've got enough bread for two or three weeks. Lots of canned goods, fresh fruits that will last (apples, peaches, plums), cat and dog food, and most importantly, a week's supply of Int'l Delight Cinnabon coffee creamer for my wife's coffee (knowing that she would send me out in 200mph winds if we ran out.) :rolleyes:
My wife thought I was crazy hooking the modem and router into a UPS until power kept flickering on and off yesterday afternoon and I pointed out that we're not waiting 3 minutes for internet to come back on every time...:eek:
Windows are not boarded up, but I did tape the major ones with 200MPH tape. (framed and X'd to hold them together for the most part). Go bag is in the paid for car. If we have to go and face the idiots out there, I'd rather not be in my wife's Altima that she still owes six grand on. Day BEFORE the storm was due to hit, traffic was backed up and stopped on my way to work (she dropped me off) and this dude pulls up beside us from a left hand turn, and then starts to cut her off to get in as traffic inches forward...she didn't let him in (we only had about 50 yards to my turn off), and so he ran square into the back of the car in front of us (another Altima). Gosh! That sure showed US! Dude starts yelling at her while she's dialing the police, and they got to hear a good load of his words before they even got there. When the police pulled up he was jumping over his hood to get to her...Things did not go too well for him at that point (we were very proud of the officer's quick response time...if you know what I mean). My comment to him was, "She may have been inconsiderate to not let you in, but you were completely inattentive to ram into the back of a stopped car. Of the two, which do you think is illegal?" I won't share his response, but it was only two words...I'm big, but I'm old. I was unashamedly glad he was handcuffed.
Anyway, all is well here. Hope everyone else is doing well.

Glad to hear things are going ok down there, BH. Between winds, water, and power loss, these storms can be nasty.

I went through Sandy a few years back. It was mostly a non-event for me. Some rain and winds, but nothing too bad. However, I lost power for 9 days because a substation near us got flooded. Obviously being safe and sound is the primary concern, but no power was like psychological torture. Power outages of a few hours, or even overnight are no big deal. But days on end wears on you. I gets dark at 5:00-ish and you can’t do very much by candlelight. And even less when you have no TV or internet. Cell towers were knocked out too, so no phone service either (although with no way to recharge them, they wouldn’t be that useful anyway).

For several years afterward, anytime the lights flickered I started twitching with nervous tics like I had PTSD. :eek:

It is pretty calm here, light rain and breeze.

We have had some tornado warnings. Some heavier rain bands are moving over the Dismal Swamp :eek:.

Reporters gotta report. :yawn:

I think i'm going fishing.

Are you getting lots of rain down there Broken H?

Well, the internet is still on. Just no electricity. UPS with the modem and router lasts about 2 hours. Turn the generator on for an hour to charge it + get in the fridge + pump some water into the 14 gallon tank and refill toilets...We have lots of lamps plenty bright enough to work on dim tablets...just hangin'

Back