DAW..Roland vs Korg

howlin'dog

Roland vs Korg

OK...after pricing computer interfaces etc. etc. etc. , I have figured out that the "Bang for the buck" is in a self contained recording system.

I was set to purchase the Roland 1880 and went to order it.

The store I deal with said I should first look at Korgs competing unit...The D1600.

The pros and cons of both units are close to the same. The price is exactly the same, And I have heard the Roland has a huge learning curve. Making the Korg easier to use.

Does anyone have any input on the Korg vs. Roland.

Looking forward to your comments.......Howlin' Dog

Last edited:
One thing I can say is that Korg have a shite customer support service (service; that's a laugh). I have a D16 and I was really pleased with it until it crashed for no reason a month after the warranty expired (and they don't offer extended warranties (I wonder why). After I had to spend hours on the phone and finding that they were oblivious to having it, even though it had been there for two weeks. They then refused to release it to me when they finally fixed it as they had a new computer system and wouldn't do the paper work. I ended up having to pick it up myself as they couldn't refuse to release it since I had travelled for hours to collect it.

Oh yeah; they didn't know what the problem was and since they were short staffed and hadn't the time to replace what I guess would be one component. I had to subsequently pay for a whole new board. After demanding to receive some money back I am told I will. It's been about 4 months and I haven't heard a thing.

This however is in England. From what I have heard the American service is worse.

Take what I have to say into account, but I am still a little bitter (my D16 is upgraded (same software as 1600). The unit is very good and I would certailnly opt to try them both out side by side.

Yo Howlin & Growlin Dog:]

Suggest you take a look at the Yamaha 2816; I just got mine.

First of all, I feel sorry for the dude in England; sounds like a horror story.

I bought my Unit from Full Compass and they have been pretty good with me in the past and their "final" price is usually lower by at least 100 pezzutos than the other 800 numbers.

If you get a 2816, make sure to read page 12 of the "thick" manual as there is a required shut down sequence. Otherwise, you can flick off the off button and you might scramble the hard drive. I'm glad I'm taking time to read and read.

I went to the Yamaha site and registered my unit; they weren't too nosey and they said they would send me a FREE operational video for the 2816 so I filled out the registration and put in my serial number for the unit which is on the back.

The 2816 goes from 16 tracks [I think you can record 8 tracks at a time in 16 bit mode] to two track stereo and then to its own built in CD. I haven't got that far yet but, one step at a time and I'll get there.

The read out screen is large and bright. Looking at the unit sitting in my studio is cool -- it's a quality box.

From what I've read, most comments are favorable about the 2816 and its earlier version, the 4416 which is more difficult to operate so I've been told. The 2816 has better stuff inside it and Yamaha is not busting their butt to upgrade the 4416 -- so, if it suits your needs, I'd look at the 2816. [I don't work for Yamaha.]

Maybe the Korg unit is all right but I think it's a few steps behind the Yam 2816, especially in SOUND.

Hope this helps,
Green Hornet

:D :cool:

Yo "Emerald Stinger"

I looked at the Yamy 2816 but the cost for me at local stores is around 3400 $$$$ Canadian, While both the Korg and Roland are 2700 $$$. ( the diffrence will let me buy groceries for the offspring) :))

I was told the Korg can have power loss during recording ( i.e. pull the plug) and it will have saved as you go where you where. no nasty damage... Roland i am not sure.

I agree from all I have seen and heard that if you want sound Quality the Yamaha is the "TOP DOG". But both the others are great units and for the price will suit my needs. ( price is the only reason i haven't jumped at the Yamaha )

Howlin' Dog

Yo OwwoooooooMan:]

I didn't notice that you live in Canada.

BUT, my 2816 cost 1845 US dollars here.

So, if I were you, I might think about a ride across the boarder into the USA, or, you might find someone to buy it for you in the States.

But, make sure you feed the kids and yourself and have some left over for that mellow brew, LeBatts. Good beer.

I don't know what the exchange rate is so maybe the prices jibe?
Maybe not?

But, the Korg is a grand cheaper than the Yam according to the catalogs.

Good luck with whatever unit you get.

Green Hornet
:D :D :p

Mellow brew Baaaaad!

I must say that I am not into Alcohol consumption!!! I think its WRONG, WRONG, WRONG !!

OH...Exept a little hot totty for medicinal puposes.

The funny thing is...I cant get rid of this damn Cough....:)

Thanks for the Help

Howlin' (and staggerin') Dog

Buy an Akia dps16 for 1500 at www.shreveaudio.com. Just go to this site and check out what you get. I bought one in august of last year just a week after they came out. Had a vs880ex before. Paid 1900 for the dps16 and didn't get all the stuff you get now.

I researched this stuff for way too long. I think all these units will deliver good recrdings. Suggestions:
You can download the manuals for all these at their company websites. The manuals will give you some insight into the menu structure and work flow on them. There may be some little thing you'll find that strikes a nerve; good or bad.

You might also want to check some of the user forums to see if anyone has posted some mp3's of their work on the models you are looking at.

FWIW I ended up with the Korg D1600 which seemed to be the best combo of features and has menu design that I felt would work well for me. I've only had it a few days so I can't say much more. The Akai DPS16 was the close runner up. The Roland menu system looked the least user friendly to my eyes and I had to rule out out the Yammy's cause I want separate level sliders for every track and real hardware pan pots....no good reason except that's the most fun part for me so I gotta have them.

I have the Roland 1880 and it is fantastic.I really think that the Korg,Yamaha and the Akai would all be good quality boxes too.If I liked my 1880 anymore than I do now I would never leave the house.

I do think it is just cool as shit that Green Hornet manages to mention his new wonderbox from Yamaha in every post he has replied to. I'm happy for you man!! keep it going!!

Monty,

Yo Buffalo Bill Man:]

The EQ on the Yamaha 2816 is very good. The box is just like a PC with a very good program to record, edit, mix, and run down into two track stereo - == Voila, then you do the CD.

To tell you the truth, I've not gotten to the finished product yet; I still reading the manual {and it sucks] and I'm awaiting a video from Yamaha {free} for registering my unit with them.

From all the words on the site, the 2816 and the 4416 are good boxes -- but the 2816 is newer and Yamaha put in some stuff that they are now appending to the 4416.

I'd like to invite the writers of the Yamaha manual to dinner and serve them "flied lice."

Green Hornet [Kato, excuse my anger]

GH-
I thought so - I've been drooling over the 2816 ever since I first saw it! Thanks for the review .Kato's not here - he's over at OJ's.

Bob

Well, while we're at it, I was distracted by the new Fostex 16 track / CD/R unit. Anyone have any input on this one?

are you fucking kidding?????

this is probably the most educated response you have here as i browse the others. I don't ever write replys to this type of shit but i figure i'll save a soldier.
A: ROLAND
i've had 2 1880's for 2 years and recently a 2480 added to the family. NO Q's the most reliable machines I've ever touched.

Treeline,

I too was distracted by the Fostex VF160. Based soley on reviews, Web site searches and PDF manaul reads etc, it looks like the Fostex is very limited in virtual tracks in comparison with the others. A good value, however. The Korg looks like the easiest to use/learn with its menu driven touch screen. I tried one at Guitar Center and it seems pretty easy to use. It seems to have some good effects too, including some mastering effects that will help to make the sound come alive. Only a seven band EQ on the master, though. I did not find out from the manuals how many bands EQ for mastering on the others.

I just sold my Roloand VS880 and the proceedure of tap this button twice, hold this button while tapping that one three times then turn dial until a criptic code appears was a real pain in the ass. The contrast between the Roland and the Korg seems like the contrast betwen an old DOS program and Windows.

The Fostex and the Yamaha are going to be easier to use than the years-old operating system of the Roland but I think the touch screen has to be easier. As for sound, a would guess (but only a guess) that all the 16 bit/44.1 units with 20 bit or more D/A A/D converters will sound pretty darn good.

If I buy the Korg as I am leaning toward, I'll let you know what I think of it.

Anyone else out there the Korg D1600? Also,has anone installed a non-Korg CD writer? With local shops selling 8x CD writers for $100 or less the Korg unit for $350 seems a "bit" much. Any input would be appreciated.

thanks,

MarkU

just curious

I was wondering what it was that narrowed it down to these 2 for you. I have heard alot different things, about alot of different products because i too am in the market for a DAW. Good luck with you decision.

I think for the price of the korg $1599 + cd burner $100 it is better than the roland. I personally went for the yamaha aw2816, which for $200 more has automation, better eq and cd burner included. Much more upgradeable than the others especially with that option slot and waves card.

Steve

WOW....I gotta defend someone even THINKING bad things of the EQ on the AW's

Seriously, I prefer the EQ on the Yamaha AW's to the EQ on the Langley Big (which is an entirely analogue desk...apart from the automation, and is the baby of the NEVE family.....so we're talkin serious shit here)

Trust me when I tell you that the Yammie EQ kicks serious butt. You can really get in there and find precise frequencies you're looking for....Its easy to use, and It sounds great

El Linko

Eh. For what it's worth, I've had the Roland VS880 since its insipiancy. Very powerful machine when it came out. Basic recording was easy, but it took a bit to tap some of the cool stuff. Quality stuff through-and-through. Also, mine has been rock-solid reliable for the past five years.

The newer Roland products use more bits at higher sampling rates without compression. They also have drastically improved their user interface. I'll stick with Roland and eventually get an 2480. Copycats always seem to try to make theirs look better on paper, but end up missing quality and reliability in the process.

I'd wait on the upstarts and even the newer Roland stuff until they prove their reliability.

Regarding touch screens: I've never seen one that didn't go bad after a fair amount of use.

Matt

I just did it... ordered the Korg d1600 for the new year.

I decided to go with korg after calling both Korg and roland to clarify a couple of questions...

Bottom line for me is that the Korg will be more upgradable in the future. no need to buy "Brand name replacements for memory and burner" etc. ... also the learning curve is not as sharp as it is for the roland.

Korg / Roland
Korg 20Gig HD / Roland 10Gig
(korg upgrade to 1000Gig or 1 terabyte, Roland 20Gig max)
Korg will use standard computer components /
Roland has to use only roland componants.

I have a buddy who is a die-hard roland fan and will buy the 1880 soon. I guess it all comes down to personal choices. after all they are all so close.

Howlin' Dog

Back