DAW remote?

GtrGtrGtr

Hi all Im just starting and reading the most of this (Best so far forum) and Ive pinned a few but this one is the one!! Im reading that a daw remote is a must have ...is this true? I am as I said just converting to pro tools from my Tascam 2488 and I know just a bit and that bit was learned here. Ive grabbed a Tascam US1800/ Tascam CDRW750/ Pro Tools First has been dwnlded/Rane HC6 headphone amp/I have a pair of older M-Audio monitors that Ive never really used/ and I guess I will add an EQ to my rack?/ I also am acquiring a 6 outlet UPS to help with disaster as Im in a below sea lvl area on the coast of NJ. Please advise me as I am my own enemy when over doing some things .. DAW Remote? EQ? Thanks for your comments and long live this forum! -Steve

Welcome Steve.
Not sure what you mean by a "DAW remote"? Do you perhaps mean a MIDI Controller?

These devices can be used (over USB these days) to control many functions of a DAW and used to be very popular about 5 years ago on the forums. Not so much these days. You can get a basic one for $50 or less. Korg Nano comes to mind and this will give you an idea of how useful a full blown "surface" as they are often called would be. One situation occurs? Sat behind a drum kit having a wee box to start and stop things, maybe select and arm tracks? Then again a $20 wireless keyboard and mouse will do that!

Another matter: UPS, good plan but check the manual for how to care for the battery(s) Very expensive to replace. Often makers suggest a main power down and a complete discharge/re charge every 6 months or so.

Dave.

No, you don't need a remote for the daw. Your computer keyboard has hot keys and shortcuts for the transport and a lot of the editing moves. The only thing it's really useful for is having a real fader, but that is pointless for most people too.

What do you need an outboard eq for? There is plenty of eq in the daw which will most likely be of better quality than some unit you pick up.

The UPS is a good move if the electricity goes out a lot. It wont help if your studio ends up under water.

Thanks A lot guys that helped a bunch ..now power conditioner yes? I have just started and will save when I can so..all this info is a gift from this site believe me! Thanks again for your time-Steve

Thanks A lot guys that helped a bunch ..now power conditioner yes? I have just started and will save when I can so..all this info is a gift from this site believe me! Thanks again for your time-Steve

Hi again Steve. "We" need to get our terms sorted properly! A power "conditioner" is not a UPS and you probably don't need one.
A UPS IS a bit of a conditioner (the better, expensive ones will have the most filtering) so just go for a UPS. The most bombproof types are "continuous conversion" where mains is rectified and the output is always on battery power. Note however that for any given VA* rating CC types are more expensive, often have noisy fans and get through batteries quicker.

*Volt/Amps: Sort of like kilo watts but not quite. If you just want to keep PC and monitor running (and a lamp!) 1kVA should be plenty. If you want to keep the whole studio running? Mortgage or diesel genny!

(never looked Mods, do we have a glossary?)

Dave.

Grabbed this APC BE350G BACK-UPS 350VA 6-OUTLET UNINTERRUPTIBLE POWER SUPPLY and a power conditioner ...The APC is just to allow me to shut down or save before shutting down

By "DAW remote" I assume you mean an app for your tablet or phone that lets you control your DAW remotely? There are a number of apps out there (let's say "soft controllers" vs. "hard controllers"), but it seems like a lot of DAW publishers now have soft controllers which they've written for their particular DAWs. If there's one available for your particular DAW, that would probably be the best choice, since it will be designed especially for that DAW. "A must have"? Not really, but certainly a great convenience. And if you do decide to use a tablet with a soft controller, you might want to look into a tablet stand, or a tablet holder that you can attach to a microphone stand, etc.-- or, if you play keyboard and your keyboard has a music rest, you could just prop your tablet up on your music rest if it's sturdy enough.

I think the rest of us assumed control surface.

Well, a DAW remote app is a control surface, or rather it turns your tablet or phone into one. :) I probably shouldn't have assumed "soft" surface, because GtrGtrGtr didn't specify hard or soft, so either can apply. But I have trouble thinking of anything as a "remote" if it must be connected by a cable to the thing it "remotely" controls, so when I saw "DAW remote" the first thing that popped into my head were the remote apps I've seen. Some are designed for specific DAWs, while others are generic, but the "coolest" are those that let you design your own sets of controls. Just a few:

For Acoustica Mixcraft: Mixcraft Remote App | DAW Remote Control App | Acoustica
For Avid Pro Tools: https://www.avid.com/US/Products/ProToolsControl
Roll-your-own goodness: MIDI Designer :: dream | create | play :: your perfect MIDI controller (for iOS)

Hardware controllers are definitely getting harder to find as demand for them had waned. Theyre certainly not necessary for most setups, and theyre prohibitively expensive for the most part. However I do have a PreSonus Faderport that I use all the time. It's a single channel controller with transport and automation read/write control. It's a little cheapie unit but I get a lot of use out of it.

As far as soft controllers, I tried OSC Commander briefly, but the demo was so crippled that I couldn't really get a feel for it. I like the idea of having transport, record arm, and fader control from a distance. It's perfect for when you're across the room at a drum kit or vocal booth and can't squint enough to make out what you're clicking on with a wireless mouse. Or if you're solo in a studio with separate control and tracking rooms.

Back