DAW interface

stevem5000

Newbie here...
Just getting into audio recording and I have a question...and I;m not sure how to phrase it...

Here goes...

I have a 16 channel mixer for the PA system in the club...
I want to record off that mixer but only 2 outs...left and right...

I understand there is a "box" that you can connect your mikes into this "box"...
Then from the box you can go out to the inputs of the PA mixer...
So this box site "between" the sound source...singer mike, guitar mike etc...and the PA mixer...

Then this "box" has a USB out that you can plug into a PC and with suitable software you
can record all 16 tracks from that "box" into the PC...

That gives you the ability to mix the sound for the club and audience...AND record all 16 tracks on the PC
where you can mix them down at a later time to make something you might want on a CD for example...

IF.........this is true...

What am I looking for...What do you call this "box"...
Is what I'm describing actually exist...???

If so...can you give me some brands / models and software suggestions that
I can start researching...

Many...many thanks
Steve

I have seen an interface (I am trying to see if I can find it again) that uses the sends of the board to capture the sound. It uses the same cords as other send interfaces. If I find it again I will post. I don't know much about it, but what I remember it had like 16 channels of inputs and USB interface. Sounds like it would work perfect for you.

In general to answer your question if I understand it is a USB audio Interface.

I "think" this is what I'm looking for...

Anyone have any experience with this device or similar device...???

sorry I can't post a link yet...not enuf posts...:>)

BUT it is a Allen Heath ICE-16 16 Channel Multitrack Recorder with USB/FireWire Interface

Anyone know of other brands available...???

thankx
Steve

I didn't read a lot about it, but it looks like it will actually write to an external hard drive for later mixing. That is why it is called a recorder verses an interface. Less stuff to have to carry for sure. Allen Heath has a good reputation. I will let others to comment to the company, but I have not read negatives on this company.

One thing to note, there is a difference between a recorder and an interface.

Stumbled onto it, funny when you are looking you can't find it Cymatic Audio LR-16 Live Recorder

Last edited:
I checked out the Cymatic Audio LR-16 Live Recorder...it's half the price of the Allen Heath...and it seems like a few "quirky" features that may be a detriment...

BUT....I'm starting to understand what I'm looking for...and the devices do exist...

Thanks guys...

I checked out the Cymatic Audio LR-16 Live Recorder...it's half the price of the Allen Heath...and it seems like a few "quirky" features that may be a detriment...

BUT....I'm starting to understand what I'm looking for...and the devices do exist...

Thanks guys...

The only reason I mentioned it is that it seems its primary function is to incorporate into a live setup. Hence, they use TRS cables and you can plug into the insert. Seems like a simpler setup and all you are using is the boxes converters and USB connection.

Good Luck.

I think there are interfaces also that allow 8 IN, then the output can be recorded from the USB and the 8 OUT go to the inputs of your mixer. If you can find a Line 6 UX8 (discontinued), it would do this. $150-$250 est street.

Look for a 8IN/8OUT USB interface.. would allow you to do 8 track recordings and mix it later. :guitar:

Back