Damn you Firepod!!!!!!!!!

Anomaly Design

I just got my firepod last week and I've already had so many problems with it. I was hoping someone might know what the hell is wrong with this thing.

I finally got everything installed and working decent, it actually records with all inputs, however it mixes down to only two tracks in Cubase. Isn't it supposed to be a different track per input?

Also, for some reason in Cubase the recordings barely have any volume to them. I don't know anything about Cubase and have searched for some kind of volume thing in the program. I switched to my favorite program, Cool Edit Pro and the volume with that comes out great... But it only records two channels at a time and pans them hard left/right on just one track.

I want to be able to track with Cubase and mix with Cool Edit Pro. Does anyone have any idea how to get the volume up and get the 8 mic channels their own separate track on Cubase? :confused:

Any help is greatly appreciated because I'm starting to get really frustrated here :mad: !

i think theres a Cubase template file that's either included in the installation of cubase, or you can download it from the Presonus website. when you open it, it has everything all set up to record with all 8 tracks. as for volume, are you talking about playback volume or recording levels? for playback, each track has its own volume control if you look in the left side and click on the "channel" tab, you will see the volume slider. if the tracking levels are too low, then the only way i know of how to fix that would be to add more gain on the pre? i'm not a Cubase expert by any means, and i personally find it to be a real pain in the ass.

The recording levels in Cubase are really low, but then when I switch to Cool Edit Pro there normal. It doesn't really make any sense, I messed around with all the firepod knobs with no success.

JazzMang said:
Title should read 'Damn You Cubase."
The firepod is holding up its end of the bargain.

Yeah probably, I'm just mad that I spent $600 on something I was informed was plug and play when I really have to put hours of troubleshooting in that I don't have. I just wanna record 8 separate tracks with a decent recording volume level, is that too much to ask? (from something thats supposed to be doing that) :(

If someone sells you an airplane and tells you its "ready to fly," don't you still need a trained pilot?

Anomaly Design said:
...plug and play...

In general that means that the Firepod and PC will be able to talk to each other as soon as they are connected.

dachay2tnr said:
If someone sells you an airplane and tells you its "ready to fly," don't you still need a trained pilot?

If you follow all the directions given in the manual provided and find that the results fall short of the statements written on the box so far that you have to waste a few more hours troubleshooting/surfing the web/asking questions trying to figure out the problem wouldn't you be pissed off?

The point is I bought a 'ready to fly' plane that really isn't 'ready to fly'.

If you like and know Cool Edit then why even bother with Cubase? As far as i know, there is no good easy way to track in Cubase and mix in CEP, nor is there any real good reason to try (that i can think of). Sure, you can probably track in Cubase, then save all of the wav's and import them into CEP- but what does that accomplish? Sounds like extra steps to me.
I understand your frustration, but if a few hours of screwin around with something gets you that worked up, maybe recording isnt the best hobby for ya.
So.... go into CEP- set up your tracks and record there- skip Cubase.

Anomaly Design said:
If you follow all the directions given in the manual provided and find that the results fall short of the statements written on the box so far that you have to waste a few more hours troubleshooting/surfing the web/asking questions trying to figure out the problem wouldn't you be pissed off?

FWIW (worth about as much as what you paid for it)....
Anyone who thinks that they can just plug and play their way to decent recording results is severely misguided......... if you want to put that little effort into the process you are better off going to a proper studio (again, my opinion).

I use a firepod, with cubase, and it works flawlesly for me.
have been recording 8 tracks with plenty of volume," I havent had to put the gain on full on the pre`s yet.

I think your problem might be within the asigning the channels to the sorted tracks.
like you choose pre 1 for track one and pre 2 for track2 and fwd.

if you need to set up the tracks go to devices and hit vst connections, and start adding busses.
the 1, and the nr 2 pre is allready in stalled as a stereo port.
I`ve made them all mono.

hope this helps a bit, sorry for my terrible english.
and feel free to ask if you need any further advice.

yeah, that's bunk to say that the firepod falls short because you don't know how to use cubase. there are plenty of books written on cubase because it is a big program that takes time to learn. Same goes for any large DAW program, Sonar, Protools, Logic etc. Many folks like cool edit because it is so easy, in my opinion. I agree, if you are comfortable with cool edit, you should use it to track and edit. Use the WDM drivers for the firepod (if it only has ASIO then you are screwed i think).

Anomaly Design said:
If, as you say, it worked in Cool Edit Pro, then it seems it flies OK. Knowledge of Cubase apprears to be the missing ingredient.

However, truthfully you didn't really provide enough details for me to make that leap. But you might want to listen to what frasherhutch said. This is not a hobby for the impatient, and requires a good deal of computer literacy.

If you really want plug-and-lay, than a standalone harddisk recording system might be more suitable.

Okay, f*ck cubase, I'm gonna stick with CEP... So I try to assign 8 tracks to each channel but I can only select from 'wav mapper' or 'presonus input 1/2'. Does anyone know why the other channels aren't showing up and why one and two are being paired?

my guess would be because you are using the ASIO drivers. The probelm is that cool edit does not support ASIO drivers when you want more than one stereo track to record at once. That is why i suggested using WDM drivers if they were available. If none are, you may be out of luck, or you might have to fall back on the older MME drivers. The latency may be huge but for tracking, you might be able to get by.

I don't belive CEP can record from all 8 inputs at once. You might want to look for a more effiecent peice of software for what you are doing (cakewalk, vegas, etc).

wishtheend said:
I don't belive CEP can record from all 8 inputs at once. You might want to look for a more effiecent peice of software for what you are doing (cakewalk, vegas, etc).
Bullshit. CEP is perfectly capable of tracking as many inputs as you have availible- provided you have the drivers as Minofifa has suggested.

kremitmusic said:
Bullshit. CEP is perfectly capable of tracking as many inputs as you have availible- provided you have the drivers as Minofifa has suggested.
Quoted for truth.

Also, I set up my Firepod/Cubase setup with absolutely no issues. The program took some getting used to, but the factory bundle and setup was perfect. Step by step instructions in the booklet got down to the specific clicks, and could have been followed by a well trained monkey.

Success!

I should have never even bothered with cubase! What a horrible program! The one who contributed the point about the WDM drivers, my version of CEP does have that option.

I had to add each channel paired in twos then for each channel select one of the pairs and select left or right. With 4 pairs, each having left and right mono's I was able to get all 8 channels on separate tracks! Thanks to all of you for having the patience in dealing with my frustration :D !

But now I have another problem! I'm putting 4 mic's on my drums, 1 kick, 1 snare and 2 OH's. I have them on the last four channels, but for some reason the 2 OH's don't pick up anything... I tried testing them, speaking into and everything, volume levels bla bla and they work fine. They just refuse to record anything. Anyone have any ideas/things I should try?

Back