Cymbal packs and best effort

Lectric_Lab

I've got these CB700 drums that I want to set up in my studio for a permanent kit, maybe add triggers, what I need are some decent inexpensive cymbals that'll sound good in the studio (no live play).

Any advice on cymbal packs would be appreciated, by various manufacturers and which one would be the best bet for a studio app, looking at under $400 I know not alot for cymbals....:confused:

IMHO- cymbals cast from a mold sound and feel MUCH better than cymbals that are stamped from a large sheet.

In your price range I would suggest the Sabian XS20 Cymbal pack. I bought a set for my nephew a few years ago and they were perfect for his situation - advancing from beginner to intermediate. Cheers, Rez

I've got these CB700 drums that I want to set up in my studio for a permanent kit, maybe add triggers, what I need are some decent inexpensive cymbals that'll sound good in the studio (no live play).

Any advice on cymbal packs would be appreciated, by various manufacturers and which one would be the best bet for a studio app, looking at under $400 I know not alot for cymbals....:confused:
Check out Stagg DH

...or

Good zildjians from a pawn shop etc... take a good drummer with you hit some...if you like the sound it should be okay for recording.

Killer cymbals, killer price...

also, cast cymbals aren't from a mold. The metal is cast into a small round scone shape then rolled out, pressed for the bell shape, trimmed to round, then lathed. FYI

Good zildjians from a pawn shop etc... take a good drummer with you hit some...if you like the sound it should be okay for recording.

Killer cymbals, killer price...

also, cast cymbals aren't from a mold. The metal is cast into a small round scone shape then rolled out, pressed for the bell shape, trimmed to round, then lathed. FYI

Thanks for the correction on that. Cheers, Rez

Any 3 letter Zildjian model is not good.

Try for some Wuhans. Also I've heard Meinl is pretty good too, but I have little experience with them.

yeah i prefer the Sabian B8 Pro better than most other budget cymbals i've heard. but maybe try getting some used GOOD cymbals. for $400 you could probably get a couple crashes and some decent hats.

I thought the ZBT hi-hats sounded alright. And I think Wuhan makes good sounding chinas and splashes. Never tried their crash cymbals though.

did I hear Cymbal pack?

I have a brand new cymbal pack that is unused, would be happy to let go inexpensively- as in very...

PM me and I'll be happy to give you details; I am on the good guy list here

Thanks,

Dan/TheRockDoc

I had Wuhan Ride and hats, I've played on a Wuhan crash extensively in college, and I currently have a Wuhan splash. They're all good. Definitally recommend them on a budget. But for $400 you could probably get a decent set of Sabian cymbals, something like AA.

Like i said before. Look out for Stagg DHs. If you can, try them in a shop or something. They are surprizingly good for the price. The SH series is bad though.

thanks for all the help guys, I went to a pawn shop yesterday in the big city, found a aa zilgian ride for $75, guess I'll go with the used road for a set of better hats, then get some new crashes in a pack.. woohan, meinl or dh's.

thanks for all the help guys, I went to a pawn shop yesterday in the big city, found a aa zilgian ride for $75, guess I'll go with the used road for a set of better hats, then get some new crashes in a pack.. woohan, meinl or dh's.
I like the Stagg DH crashes. Especially for recording. Their hats and rides aren't great though(although i did try and save money here by buying 12" hats and 19" crash/ride :o). If anything, even if you don't get one, try one out.

Nothing wrong with 12" hats, I use them regularly recorded. Mine are a prototype set from Sabian.

Check out Billy Ward's drumming on B.B. King's 80 album... He used a set of Zildjian custom 11"s (hopefully to be released soon).

12" hats are you crazy?? haha
lol, i know. I thought they'd have a nice high pitched, splash-like, sound, but they have some nasty tones. I've stuck a couple bits of tape on them though, which has reduced the worst of them.

I prefer the size of them to 14" now though. Hate playing with big hats.

I got the 12" hats, 14" and 15" crashes(although 16" sound even better), 8" splash, 10"(although i cracked it :() and 14" chinas, and 19" crash/ride(wish i'd forked out for a proper ride though). They all cost a little over what i sold my ZBT set for.

I prefer the smaller sizes, 'cause I'm quite a small guy(5'6") and i have a studio sized(20"kick, 10",12",14"toms)kit

IMHO- cymbals cast from a mold sound and feel MUCH better than cymbals that are stamped from a large sheet.
Just so you understand...
With the exception of UFIP and we'll get to that...

The terms 'cast' and 'sheet' were developed by marketing agents not manufacturers, and neither accurately describes either method of cymbal making. "Cast" cymbals are not cast into the shape of a cymbal, nor are "sheet" cymbals merely stamped from common sheetmetal.

Cast cymbals - molten bronze, an alloy of tin and copper, is poured into individual blobs about 4"-6" in diameter and about 1-2 inches thick. These 'castings', which is where the name comes from, are called ingots, and each one yeilds one cymbal. The ingots are repeatedly heated and passed through a series of rollers which flatten them into large, thin discs. Using a hydraulic press, the discs have their bells stamped and their initial profile established. The hole is punched, the edges trimmed, and then the discs are ready for cold-working...hammering. After hammering, the cymbals are lathed to their appropriate thickness, then aged.

Sheet cymbals - start as discs cut by an outside fabricator, from large plates of bronze. Because each plate yeilds several cymbals, and the process used to produce each plate is more strictly controlled than the process applied to 'cast' cymbals, 'sheet' cymbals have a justified reputation for being more 'consistent'.

It's like making cookies....
Cast cymbals are drop-cookies, where each cookie starts as a little ball of dough. Sheet cymbals start with a similar dough, but rather than little individual balls, you roll out a large, thin sheet of dough and cut smaller cookies from it.

After you have the thin disc, whether a flattened blob or one cut from a plate, the manufacturing process is very similar...shaping, tempering, cold-working, finishing.

UFIP...
do cast a disc in the shape of a cymbal, using a method called centrifugal-casting, a mold in the shape of cymbal is spun at a high speed, while being filled with molten bronze. Once cooled, the casting resembles a completed by rather thick 'cymbal'. It is then annealed, hammered, and lathed like any other cymbal.

Believe it or not, one of my best cymbal recordings is with a set of Sabian B8s that I bought for something like $140. The ride is almost beautiful on the recording, and the hats sound great. The crash cymbals pretty much suck though.

However, I replaced all the B8s over time--though they translated well in the recordings, they had little to no complexity... hitting the ride pretty much anywhere yielded almost the same sound... the crashes could never be made to do anything interesting... and the hi-hat was also very static.

I recommend Turkish cymbals... Soultone and Masterwork when you can find them are very fine indeed, at good prices. Istanbul Mehmet can be found online for really excellent prices. Ideally you want to find them in a shop and try them out though. If you are just looking for the cheapest decent cymbals, I think the Wuhans really can't be beat for hand-hammered, cast b20 cymbals at a rock-bottom price.

Back