Cutting snare out of overheads and other question.

Funky_A

If anybody can help...that would be really cool.

Does anybody know how to cut some of the snare out of the overheads?
I don't have much control over my snare sound due to the overheads?
I use cubase sx on mac..
Do I maybe need to do some eq'ing on it? Or cut some stuff out? and how?

Next to that I have a 2nd question.
I'm looking for some good overhead microphones..2 in total.
If it's possible I'd like to spend somewhere around 200-300 euro per mic..so 600 in total..that would come to say 700 $...
I like that clean cymbal sound that cuts through real nice, I play metal and mostly record metal and rock...so also advice on eq'ing/effects would help great..

Thanks a lot for in advance!!

I wouldn't try and cut the snare out of the overheads -- you'll do more harm than good.... you could always trigger a snare sample using the overheads though, and blend the triggered sound back in to the overheads as needed.

I am not an expert, but. . .

You are all over the place, asking a great deal of questions in your one post. I suggest you do a lot of reading and researching on this bbs and elsewhere.

I record rock, but not much in the way of metal.

The snare would have transient signals far greater than cymbals, so they pick up in your OH's very solidly. I don't know if there is a way to remove the sound. I use OH's as sort of the main 'sound' of the kit and use the close mics to bring in more attack and generally whatever is lacking. I'm guessing that you want only cymbals in the OH's? Haven't a clue as to how to do that other than actually recording them separately!!! I think that if you had only cymbals in the OH's and all the drums recorded close, you would have a very 'processed' and unnatural sound. But that could be what you want.

It's just my theory.

Hope it is at least a little helpful.

You can try a fast limiter, and play with the release to shape what's left of the snare body vs the hole it punches in the kit.
(I'm not recommending it, but it can happen. :D
Wayne

Well here's an example of what I have got till now..
Using:
Opus 83 & Collins ?? on overhead
Shure SM57 on snare
AV Jeve tom clip mics on toms...d'oh..
AKG D112 on bass drums...

curious what you think..I layed this down fairly quick so there is some "unbalanced" drumming going on...no warm up at all..but you'll get the idea.

As you can hear...a 20" china kicks in a little hard :S...

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=1182

tourettes5139 said:
Just curious...What snare are you using? I like that sound you're getting for the snare.

Pearl Sensitone II

I also got a OCDP 12x7 here, but it's a bit to much for recording sometimes..depends on what i'm using it...

___

I'm a big fan at the moment of the kick drum sound of Shadows Fall' War Within.
I made myself a "tunnel" with a big heavy blanket & got rid of my front head for that...and some eqing...but I don't know if my eq settings are any good..maybe someone got any better ones?..here the once that I use for it...
hi-no changes
hi-mid- +8.0 on 5000hz
low-mid- -10 on 300hz
lo - +4.0 on 120hz

I use cubase...just so you know :) this might help..

Those cymbals and hats sound mighty dark and far away to me. Are you using dynamic mics for overheads? If so, don't. I know that's an easy answer but a decent pair of small condensors will help you greatly.

Halion said:
Those cymbals and hats sound mighty dark and far away to me. Are you using dynamic mics for overheads? If so, don't. I know that's an easy answer but a decent pair of small condensors will help you greatly.

Yes that's the biggest problem I got..I use 2 small condensor mics..
Beyerdynamic Opus83 and a Collins one..(both cheap mics).
I really would like to have my cymbals sound "closer"..this just bother me a lot indeed...but I haven't found a solution yet...close micing far away micing...nothing helped yet...i'm getting pretty anoying with it...don't know what to do anymore with it..

Funky_A said:
Yes that's the biggest problem I got..I use 2 small condensor mics..
Beyerdynamic Opus83 and a Collins one..(both cheap mics).
I really would like to have my cymbals sound "closer"..this just bother me a lot indeed...but I haven't found a solution yet...close micing far away micing...nothing helped yet...i'm getting pretty anoying with it...don't know what to do anymore with it..

Okay, what types and sizes of cymbals are you using?

How do you have your overhead mic's set up (location in relation to the snare and height)?

Tim

Tim Brown said:
Okay, what types and sizes of cymbals are you using?

How do you have your overhead mic's set up (location in relation to the snare and height)?

Tim

Using:
16" & 17" Sabian AA Metal-X crashes
20" AA Metal-X china
14" AAX Stage Hats
14" AAXcelerator hats
10" AAX Splash
12" AAX Mini China

The overheads are 1.25 meter above the cymbals, pointed down and somewhat 1.5 meters away from eachother (if you look from front so from left to right 1.5 meters horizonal). When I put them closer, the cymbals go very sharp into it....way to sharp..not nice to your ears.

If you take it from the snare:
Crashes are about 0.75meters above the snare well.
I hope this was clear enough or not, then i'll try to draw it out?

Funky_A said:
If anybody can help...that would be really cool.

Does anybody know how to cut some of the snare out of the overheads?
I don't have much control over my snare sound due to the overheads?

I've done this with varying results:
Solo your snare and dial in a 3db boost to your taste of the kind of sound you want, then do a 3db cut of the same freq on the overhead tracks.
It can help create a "hole" for your snare sound in the overhead tracks.
YMMV :D

Why are you trying to cut the snare out of the overheads again? Taking the snare out of the overheads is kind of a strange thing to do. Most of your sound normally comes from the overheads. I'm just curious.

I think he is trying to get more of the close mic'ed sound but can't turn it up with out the whole thing being too loud. Just my guess.

If that were the case I'd give the overheads enough compression to knock down the really loud cymbol crashes. It tends to even things out doing that.

Back