curious about Oktava

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
Oktava, Oktava, Octava! Never even hear of them untill I got on this forum. My questions are: Would the MK012's make good overheads for drums? Would it be better to get a mached pair if I were to use them as over heads, or would it not make a difference if they weren't in say an X/Y pattern?

[This message has been edited by James HE (edited 12-23-1999).]

The Oktava MC1012s are the hottest budget small diapgragm condenser out there right now. In fact, forget that "budget" word in the sense of performance because it will only confuse you because a lot of people rate them just below the Elation 201s ($399US w/1 cap; choices are cardioid, hypercardioid, and omni) and the Neumann km184s ($800US).

Yes they are really known for drum overheads. Also, yes you need to get a matched-pair of any 2 mics you're gonna do stereo recording with.

Another thing is to only get Oktava from The Sound Room. www.oktava.com

I don't know what your budget is, but if can swing-it or wait a little while longer, you should really go for the Elation 201s (matched-pairs run $849US w/1 cap or $1,199US w/2 caps). They are nearly (not quite, but close) better sounding than the Neumann km184 which cost $1600US for a matched-pair. But, if you absolutely won't ever be able to swing-it (even a few months down the road), then go for the Oktava MC012s; you'll be stunned that the sound coming out is out of a mic costing less than $300US.

Electronic Musician is suppose to be comparing a large quantity of small diaphragm condensers to eachother in their Jan or Feb issue and I know that the MC012s, the 201s, and I think the km 184s will be included.

Back